3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

TNT observations on 03-04 trucks

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Early 2004 cummins here. Just loaded the TNT Revo into my truck after having the 4.11 for a few months.

I like it much better. Had it set for aftermarket injectors (not HUGE ones!) the first time around and got a "popping" sound when really getting on it. So I set it for stock injectors. No more popping. Changed a few other options and set it on #7. Works great.

Need to install my dual cp3 kit to get the full power of the TNT.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I was wondering about this. You got to have the fuel to get it done. CP3 and sticks are needed along with everything else they recommended. Seems the list they had is exactly what you need. I don't need all that power. 4.11 is fine for me. Revo is also nice for folks always swapping tunes but I don't do alot of that. Been on #7 and then #9. #7 gets the best fuel mileage for me.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:29 PM

I knew prior to loading that I was short on a few mods for the TNT but I wanted to find the threshold for what I have. I have a ways to go in supporting mods before I can realize its full potential. Something to look forward to.

I think that I need to sit down and talk to someone about this addiction!

For now I will stick with the 4.4. Adjustability is nice, but it feels real good to just load and go!
Old 05-09-2008, 08:41 PM
Banned

keep in mind, # 1 on tnt is over 100 hp gain, #3 is stronger for the 555 trucks than 4.4 was.....
whats wierd, i have no problem holding rail presure on #5 if i used aftermarket in jector timing, but loose rail presure fast on #3 if set to stock injector timing....?
is it posable that theres more duration on the stock injector programming ?
it runs so much harder on stock injector timing i realy think so.
i cant wait to get my stg 3 pump so i can play more.....
Old 05-09-2008, 10:28 PM

The TNT is a powerful tune and will give you an easy way to see what needs to be upgraded on your truck.

If your not that impressed and played with the options its because your truck isnt up to par.

My truck is still running stock sticks, CP3, lift pump and clutch, so it really obvious when playing that I need more fuel. My truck handels the TNT no prob. EGT's are still in check but I need a rp gauge.

OP have you tried sw #9 because that's the +230 tune. I tried sw#8 and it felt alot slower. I dont know how you guys are spinning in 4th when I cant even break loose in 2nd. Truck definetly feels stronger then the 4.11 about +50rwhp which I'm ok with because I dont have a FASS or clutch.

My 03 HO with Silverbullet, Smarty, MP8 feels most powerful on

SW9
TM 3
timing 3 (2 had too much rattle)
rp 2
Old 05-09-2008, 10:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I guess I need to surely get the RP gauge and fuel pressure gauge installed so I can see whats going on. I was aware of the TNTs potential, but isn't the 4.4 a higher hp type program also, I have absolutley no problems on sw 5 or 7. With my mods i shouldve been able to tell sw 3s full potential on the TNT but it felt weak also. I know the egts were a little warm also, and it took alot more throttle to get to certain speeds. low smoke no matter what I set it on and it was pushing 850 to 900* at 65mph. Now that I'm back on the 4.4 egts are 600* at 65, the throttle response is back and the coal is rolling!!!

I am still a big Smarty fan, that's for sure. I am happy with the 4.4 til I get some stuff figured out. I guess the TNT wasn't meant for me, I never intended to pass 550hp and I never intended on upgrading the CP3 or stix until I absolutely needed to. that being said, i think the 4.4 does exactly what it needs to with my mods.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

this beta deal just blows me away..... When I think back to how these softwares were put together and how they have evolved over times make me laugh.

The Beta 4.4 was crafted to reduce egt's for the towing heavy 07 trucks.

and now its a race tune?

The Revo TNT goes back to basic's

MAJOR AIR and FUEL = the true hp potential....

We are holding back on the /R release until we can dyno tune the softwares "true" potential.

We are no where done... Raise the bar?
Old 05-09-2008, 11:04 PM

Rip
I am having similar results with TNT/Revo.. My trucks feels strong but the throttle response on 4.4 seemed better to me. On 4.4 my truck drove great with very light foot on the throttle. The TNT seems to need more pedal to move the truck along? I was running 4.4 on 3 for daily driving and liked it alot.

I wish someone new what the 4.4 was for settings so I could set Revo or TNT/Revo similar to see if it would work like 4.4? I like the adjustable options but have no way to know what 4.4 was? I also have Stock CP3 and sticks but do not think that is what I am seeing as issue because I think 4.4 for me worked better right off idle to 1800rpm driving easy.

If I drove away from an intersection with 4.4 I can heep RPM under 1600 and truck felt good. TNT I am pushing throttle to 1700-1900 to drive away from the intersection as it just feels slower down bottom than 4.4?

Could it be the Rail pressure is much lower on TNT? I remember someone saying 4.4 had very high rail pressure at idle? Maybe that is what I like?
I quess I need a rail guage?
All of the software is awesome stuff and I am very happy!!
Thanks Marco!!
Sticks, CP3, Cam and springs will be added in the future, just dont know when.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Wagner
this beta deal just blows me away..... When I think back to how these softwares were put together and how they have evolved over times make me laugh.

The Beta 4.4 was crafted to reduce egt's for the towing heavy 07 trucks.

and now its a race tune?

The Revo TNT goes back to basic's

MAJOR AIR and FUEL = the true hp potential....

We are holding back on the /R release until we can dyno tune the softwares "true" potential.

We are no where done... Raise the bar?
i'm with ya Bob, Smarty has come a long way....I'm not saying its a race tune, but it responds better than 4.11 wild or the TNT, at least on my truck. I'm sure with more extensive mods the TNT would really open up.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by SlowSixSpeed
The TNT is a powerful tune and will give you an easy way to see what needs to be upgraded on your truck.

If your not that impressed and played with the options its because your truck isnt up to par.

My truck is still running stock sticks, CP3, lift pump and clutch, so it really obvious when playing that I need more fuel. My truck handels the TNT no prob. EGT's are still in check but I need a rp gauge.

OP have you tried sw #9 because that's the +230 tune. I tried sw#8 and it felt alot slower. I dont know how you guys are spinning in 4th when I cant even break loose in 2nd. Truck definetly feels stronger then the 4.11 about +50rwhp which I'm ok with because I dont have a FASS or clutch.

My 03 HO with Silverbullet, Smarty, MP8 feels most powerful on

SW9
TM 3
timing 3 (2 had too much rattle)
rp 2
hi

mp8 adds rp?

i have try same numbers on my truck.

the acceleration are great from idle but in higher rpm not, i add x2 level 3 or 4 the acceleration are great in all rpm but x2 add rp.

with only smarty i read 23 k on gauges. add x 2 i have 26,5 k rp.

chris
Old 05-10-2008, 12:38 AM
Banned

if you have a CR with anything beyond minor fueling enhancements and don't have a rail gauge, there's no way you can dial in your fueling combo
Old 05-10-2008, 12:52 AM

I even did a few WOT runs with the MP8 at 75% and if flew but coul tell that it ran out of fuel around 110mph.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:34 AM

I had two loud pops today with the TNT program. Sounded like a gasser backfire ***??? I have a RP gauge and I do not think it was rail drain as it will hold 20K+ to 120 mph once the tc is locked. I only get the pop when going about 75% throttle off the line the one time, and oce punching it about 40 mph. I am worried about running it anymore now I am set at SW 9, TM-3, RP-3, default timing.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 4.4 has a very agressive pressure ramp.Idle RP w/4.4 was always around 8k and cruise was 16-18k at 65mph.Lightly touch the skinny pedal and RP was at 23-24k.This would explain the snappy throttle response you guys are reffereing too.As Bob just said,it was a performance tow tune(didn't know that till just now but makes sense).Best I remember when I got my MP-8 about 2 years ago that was what TS pushed this module for,a tow module.Pressure allows for quicker spool up which is perfect for towing.Presure can be ramped without rail drainage if the duration is not increased to fast for guys with stock cp-3's.basically the pump has a chance to get wound up before you ask for alot of flow(duration)

With the TNT the pressure ramp is much more linear.I haven't tried RP 4 yet but this is what I am seeing on RP 3.No more spikes to 23k with light stabs on the throttle and idle is normal at 7k.The only time I'm seeing 23k+ is under WOT.Even though the pressure is down my excelleration is up.The duration must be increased dramatically on the tnt vs. the 4.4, which would lead to rail drainage for people that don't have modded cp-3's.

This just my opinion and I could be way off on my theory of operation!Just going off what I have learned on here over the past 1 1/2 yrs.I'm definitely no guru on this stuff and still learning everyday.If someone with more knowledge like Bob,Don or John could chime in they could give us all a definitive answer.

This is all being compared on my 05 so could be a bunch of hogwash for you 03-04 guys!
Old 05-10-2008, 06:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow, that is aggressive. And it does makes sense.

MikeyB

Quick Reply: TNT observations on 03-04 trucks