3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

TNT observations on 03-04 trucks

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 10:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rip 112
Been awhile...but Im bringing this one back up... I decided to "upgrade" programs, so no more betas for me now . Im not going to say i regret it yet; just havent had enough time with seeing what works best on the TNT and found the revo worked better on the top end. Ran tq4, rp 3, timing 2, and on the revo on sw7 and found 2nd gear to be pretty touchy and responsive. 3-5 arent as strong as the 4.4 was, but 6th gear I could feel the turbo spool quicker yet more gradual, got up to speed quicker. TNT just felt gutless, and maybe I just dont have the fuel there.

Guys, what settings are working the best all around for power comparable to 4.4? I really dont have time for all the back and forth tuning. Will be going back to the revo for now. Ive tried to research this in the search function for 2 hrs now, and while Ive found many details, they are more pertaining to the 05-07yrs. I want the response back in every gear. Help me out here

Mods to date are the smarty/mp-8, afe stg 2, cfm horn, Airdog 100, HTT 62/71-13, 5" exhaust, SBC OFE. early 04 6spd
Still lookin for opinions. Im runnin sw7 tq4, tm3, rp2, and the mid range grunt just isnt there, nor the throttle response that id like to have. Looking for best response and power in the mid range
Old 09-16-2013, 05:02 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
the "response" is in the torque management... you are already at 4... there isn't more to be had. True, not as touchy as beta 4.2 used to be. But that "touchy" doesn't mean more power. Part of what you feel could be improved with a 4" downpipe instead of a 5".
Try sw8 rp3 or 4 (beta 4.2 and 4.3 actually was a little higher in rail pressure than rp4! not higher overall pressure, it just ramped it faster) That extra pressure is hard on your injectors... keep that in mind.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:54 PM

I guess its more me being picky, going so long with the betas pedal feel, just not used to having to give it abit more throttle. Ive had no injector problems as of yet but the relief valve did hang on me and killed the truck for a week, so I will heed your advice. As far as the 5" exhaust, Im still using the 3.5" exhaust elbow from the factory turbo, and have a 5" Magnaflow as well. Was hoping that would keep enough backpressure and seems to work well, it sounds much better too.

soulezoo, I really appreciate your advice Its like yesterday I remember talking to you when we first joined this place, I love this site so much I never found reason to become a member anywhere else. Great group of folks here.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:51 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Yes, I agree.
One other thought though. Smarty UDC may be just what you want.

SSR was another step in tuning and UDC is the ultimate in tuning.

If you could see on a 3D map how rough and jagged the betas are compared to the TNT compared to what can be done with UDC, I think you would be amazed.

The UDC will give everything you could potentially want where what you are doing now is all a compromise of one sort or another.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:50 PM

How much knowledge do you need to use the udc? What Im trying to get at is I read there are many parameters you can modify, and therefore a dyno is almost essential? I may be wrong on that, its just my first impression. Is it a free download or is it something I have to purchase for my vin? Id love to try it, just dont have a dyno around to see the differences, only sotp feel. Ive been working so much I fell off the bandwagon and lost some crucial info thats been around, I just see many asking for good tuners in their area. You do have my curiosity rolling...
Old 09-18-2013, 10:08 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

No, it is a different animal you have to pay for. It's got dongles and stuff...

To tune yourself, yes you need to dyno. However, that is why folks are calling for "tuners". People that have developed their own software profiles and such and there are a few out there now.

Now with EFI, you get a tune, run it for a while, send the data logging back to the tuner and they tweak the tune for you. No dyno needed. I am not sure if that can be done with the UDC. I've got no direct experience with the UDC... only the anecdotal second hand internet info take it for what it is worth... not much!
Old 09-18-2013, 10:09 PM

So can I order an unloaded Smarty, and then load the beta 4.4 back on it??? I still have the programs and just hate that I cant use them anymore if I ever wanted to. Im just wondering if the updates that stop me from going back to the beta involves when it was loaded to the trucks ecm or when it was loaded onto the smarty.

$295 for the dongle and $300 for a custom tune, its just not an area I want to explore yet. Im not that rich haha.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by rip 112
So can I order an unloaded Smarty, and then load the beta 4.4 back on it??? Im just wondering if the updates that stop me from going back to the beta involves when it was loaded to the trucks ecm or when it was loaded onto the smarty.
Anybody have an answer for this? Is Bob still around here nowadays?
Old 09-24-2013, 03:54 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

I can answer. Your idea won't work. It's not the smarty that stops you, it's the updated software on your truck's ecm that stops you.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Terry. I am still around here.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by soulezoo
I can answer. Your idea won't work. It's not the smarty that stops you, it's the updated software on your truck's ecm that stops you.
Originally Posted by Bob Wagner
Thanks Terry. I am still around here.
Well thats what I was afraid of, my mileage is not so great, have tried many different combos but still cant replicate the mpgs I was getting with 4.4. On a good note I am getting used to the different power band, and maybe down the line I'll be able to do the udc and get what Im looking for.

Bob, thanks for your continued support