3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Tire/Wheel Questions....

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire/Wheel Questions....

Been researching this topic using the Search feature. These are the conclusions I've come to, would appreciate validation.

#1 Factory wheels have a 6.25" backspacing and currently, there is not a 17 x 8 aftermarket wheel manufactured with that same backspacing.

#2 Using the factory wheel, the largest tires I can go without any probems (rubbing, etc.) are the 285's.

#3 315's require wider rims to lay flat (so to speak)

#4 Speed recalibration is done by the dealer if we choose to go with 315's or bigger, as Hypertech does not have the product on the market yet for 03 and 04 Cummins.

#5 The chrome wheels which are standard, are chrome clad instead of plated, which means they have some kind of chrome cover bonded to them.

Assuming this is all correct, then I'm giving the factory cast aluminum wheels a second consideration before I order my truck, although I must admit the chrome clad wheels look awesome.
Old 01-25-2004, 01:42 PM

I thing everything you mentioned is correct except that my 315s don't rub at all and I have them mounted on the chrome clad rims.. Now I'm sure that if I hit a big bump with the wheels turned all the way then it would rub but not under normal driving conditions....

I actually planned on buying 285s but the 315s were way, way cheaper apparantly due to BFG making too many of them....

Good luck on the new truck..
Old 01-25-2004, 02:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ditto...factory aluminum wheels w/315s and no rub at full lock either direction. Everything else is right on target!
Old 01-26-2004, 07:51 AM

Gary,

The Alba is 588 is a great looking wheel, I'm very interested to read how this turns out. 00mm offset does not translate well to me, I usually look at backspacing. Please post once you've given these wheels a try and let us know how it turned out.

I'm unclear as to whether you'll be able to use the Alba center caps on the 588's.

Right now, I'm thinking I'll stick with 285's, despite the higher cost. On their web site, BFG recommends a minimum wheel width of 8.5 inches for a 315. I ran into this about 15 years ago on a K-5 Blazer I owned, ran 33-12.50-15's on 8 inch wide rims, never could find a tire pressure to make the tire lay flat.

There is no question the 315's look better as they fill up the wheel well openings quite a bit more.

Good luck with the Alba's!
Old 01-26-2004, 08:05 AM

I have the 315s on my truck. I had some rubbing on one of the passenger side control arms at full lock before I put on the 2 in spaces in front. Now no rubbing and no problems in 15,000 miles . I'm also using the Superlift Calibrator to correct for the increased diameter -- gives me a the flexibility to correct the speedo myself and adjust it any time or adjust for 2 different sets of tires.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:19 AM

F11 - I assume you went with the 4.10 rear end to compensate for the much larger diameter 315's. Are you happy with this combination? I was planning on 3.73's with the 285's but......

Appreciate the heads up on the Superlift Calibrator! You mentioned spacers to keep the 315's from rubbing at full lock. Would these be disc brake spacer plates? I used those in years past, they were manufactured by Mr. Gasket if memory serves.

What tire pressures are you running on the 315's? Have you noticed any wear problems so far?

Great looking truck!
Old 01-26-2004, 11:28 AM

Does anyone know if trucks equipped with the snow plow package sit higher than those without? Some people report rubbing with 315s and some don't, even with trucks that should be identical. I would not run 315s unless I knew that they would not rub in real offroad situations. It has always been my experience that a little rubbing on the street will turn into possibly damage offroad. The lower price on the 315s is really tempting but I will buy 285s unless I'm convinced the larger tires won't be a problem offroad. My truck has the cast wheels and the snow plow springs.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:35 AM

Surfram, very good question and I'm right there with you on the rubbing issue on road versus off road.

Gary, I phoned Alba this morning, the backspacing on the 17x8 Grip 588 is 4.5 inches, meaning the wheel will protrude 1.75 inches further outward than the factory wheels.
Old 01-26-2004, 02:37 PM

Texas,

Yes, I have the 4.10 rear end - with the bigger tires it brings your back pretty close to 3.73 and I'm happy with it.

The spacers are above the coil springs in front to level it out (and it changed the geometry of the control arms just enough that it no longer rubs. I used the metal ones from Tuff Country.

I'm running my tires at 46-48 PSI - no unusual wear. I didn't need a realignment after adding the spacers, buy you ought to check just in case.

Surfram,

I spent 2 weeks in the Colorado Rockies last summer (on the White River Plateau by way of Transfer Trail and across Blair Mountain, up on Taylor Pass by way of Express Creek, up into Montezuma Basin, etc.) and had no problems with offroading my truck.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:59 PM

Hey Surfram to the best of my knowledge the snow plow package on an 04 does not contain a different front spring so height would be the same. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Hey F11 does your superlift calibrator do anything else but calibrate speed? Let me know .
Old 01-27-2004, 08:28 AM

Alltork,

The calibrator just fixes the signal coming from the speed sensor in the transmission. Anything on the truck that uses that signal will be corrected (for example the overhead computer will calculate the correct MPG, your anti-lock brakes will work properly, etc.).

Cheers,
Old 01-27-2004, 08:32 AM

If the springs are not different with the snow plow package, what is? The 2nd gen trucks had different springs for different packages. The higher the number on the tag on the spring, the higher the weight rating. There is a Dodge Ram tech web page that has all the ratings for the different 2nd gen springs. Even 1500s had different springs depending on the cab and bed length. I would like to see a poll of those running 315s with and without rubbing, including trucks equipped with the cast wheels and snow plow packages. On my old 1500, I ran rims with less backspacing to get the tires off of the lower control arms and daystars to keeps the tires from rubbing on the fender liners.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:16 AM

I would liek a set of black wheels... havent seen any of them, but im sure im looking in the wrong place.

Quick Reply: Tire/Wheel Questions....