3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

timing

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
timing

A buddy of mine asked me today if "all" timing is the same . I feel that that is a good question. He has a 24 valve, and was just wondering. So, to all knowing, is this the case? AKA, the comp box adds timing, the smarty "can" add timing, the hotrod vp44 adds timing. (Not certain what I did to highlite "smarty") or that stuff for that matter.?? But, regardless, how is one to run a hotrod pump with the comp box if both add timing? And is every manufactures timing rated differently?
Old 06-01-2007, 09:23 PM

I'd like to know that answer too. But what I'd really like to know is how much the timing is changed with the smarty

atch
Old 06-01-2007, 10:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The smarty provide dynamic timing vs. static timing of an add on electronice module.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:48 PM

I want to hear about static timing.

Does that mean a plug in box cannot have a timing map based on boost, injection pressure and duration length?
Old 06-02-2007, 12:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
no it does not
Old 06-02-2007, 12:57 PM

Hey Quad, I've been talking to Roark at the quad shop about my reflash without the throttle pos. senser tap and timing off. I got it back...in awesome time I must say, great business, and now I cannot see over 30lbs of boost in crazy larry or performance, but tow I can and it seems to be a whole different truck like it used to. Low end unbelievable, buy without larry it doesnt have the top end. Have yall figured anything out on it? Thanks again for the great service
Old 06-03-2007, 08:39 PM

I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with us. We do the same thing regarless of what your PCM is programmed to. If it is working properly in tow mode, or with the BD off, I would call BD and tell them they are doing something really weird in their programming. Nothing I can do if they are doing something weird.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by qzilla
I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with us. We do the same thing regarless of what your PCM is programmed to. If it is working properly in tow mode, or with the BD off, I would call BD and tell them they are doing something really weird in their programming. Nothing I can do if they are doing something weird.
Thanks, but what I dont understand is before I sent it in to get the timing off and tps removed it was UNBELIEVABLE with the chip on. Now it doesnt even feel like it's on it. BD programs havnt changed and and the guy Roark Im talking to says a few people are having some of the same issues. And the whole calling BD thing...aint happenin. I've been tryin for over a month and even have a guys extension # and will end up listening to opera music for 20min. Yall answer within 1/2 ring and it is VERY NIce. Thanks
Old 06-03-2007, 11:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 35" 05'
Thanks, but what I dont understand is before I sent it in to get the timing off and tps removed it was UNBELIEVABLE with the chip on. Now it doesnt even feel like it's on it. BD programs havnt changed and and the guy Roark Im talking to says a few people are having some of the same issues. And the whole calling BD thing...aint happenin. I've been tryin for over a month and even have a guys extension # and will end up listening to opera music for 20min. Yall answer within 1/2 ring and it is VERY NIce. Thanks
My Quad box worked right for about 5 days with my Bullydog...problems ever since. I have since passed the box off to another member and he is going through the custom tune process with Quad last i heard.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by 35" 05'
The whole thing that throws me off is that it works great for you in their TOW setting?? RIght? That is what you said above?
Old 06-04-2007, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by 973604x4
My Quad box worked right for about 5 days with my Bullydog...problems ever since. I have since passed the box off to another member and he is going through the custom tune process with Quad last i heard.
The only reason he needed to send it back is because we made a special file for your stack that did some very unusual stuff because you were having trouble over 50+ psi with some weird boost happening?

And actually better yet, you did not even get to test it, so we don't know if it worked or not?

Then, you sold it, without having a normal program put on it.

That is why he had to send it back.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:40 PM

The whole thing that throws me off is that it works great for you in their TOW setting?? RIght? That is what you said above?
It works decent on the tow. I've pushed hard in larry and performance but it gets too hot b/c of low boost. Roark said pretty much go to the old surging program or switch bd or sell the quad. Will it work great with the smarty?
Old 06-04-2007, 03:07 PM

You don't have to go with the older program, just the normal program. We have done this on a couple of trucks and for some reason it seems to work better than the stacking file with some of the Crazy Lary programs.

Anything you do will work great with the Smarty. They obviously have their tuning down a little better and it does not change from truck to truck, or minute to minute.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:46 PM
Banned

The only reason he needed to send it back is because we made a special file for your stack that did some very unusual stuff because you were having trouble over 50+ psi with some weird boost happening?

And actually better yet, you did not even get to test it, so we don't know if it worked or not?

Then, you sold it, without having a normal program put on it.

That is why he had to send it back.
You are correct, never tested it. after playing with it back and forth for months, i moved on. Not to mention I couldn't test it at the time...truck had no ECM. I traded it to the guy....and if he didn't want it, he could trade me back. (the EZ he traded me is still sitting in my backseat un-used)

It wasn't just on my truck that i was having problems. that XZT was also extensively tested on an 06 truck...totally stock. It performed flawlessly. It was then tested on an 06 with a bullydog...and had roughly the same problems i had when it was on my truck with a Bullydog.

Quad I realize none of this is your fault and you were going over and beyond with what you were doing. I greatly appreciate it but I moved on. For the record, I have not found ANY pressure box that will consistently boost fool with my Bullydog. I have an anonymous boost fooler plugged in with my Dr. Performance box.