3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Time for new tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time for new tires

I have a 2500 4x4, 4 door long bed and currently am running BFG 285x70x17's on it. I put a level kit on the front and added a leaf spring in the rear and can go to a larger tire now. I want to go a little larger and more of an off road/mud tire and would like to get some input and opinions from folks out there who have tried some of these options:

Maxxis Bighorn tires
Nitto Terra Grappler
Kumho Road Venture MT
Mickey Thompson MTZ
Cooper STT

also looking to go to either a 295 or a 305 and realize some of these I'm looking at don't come in either of those sizes. Don't really want to get too large (unless I really have to) and for me that's a 315 or 35. Need to have something in a D or E load range to haul and tow some heavier loads. Want a fairly long running but more aggressive tire then the BFG and to be honest this will be my last set of those. Going to a 35 worries me about the hubs getting abused too much.

I've had the Nitto tires on another 2500 and they didn't impress me with wear, on or off road driving but maybe they are better in a different size then I had which was a 285x75x16. One other thing, I drive a lot so tend to change tires every 18 months or so and buying a super high dollar tire doesn't pay me back. I've never gotten more then about 30-35K miles out of any tire on my diesel pickups.

Thanks ahead of time!
Old 12-07-2007, 02:20 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
look into Toyos
Old 12-07-2007, 02:40 PM

have toyo mt's now and am pretty happy with them. have owned mickey mtz's in a 33" and it was a very good tire- not as good on highway (softer compound and block tread) as the toyo's. some on this forum have complained about wear on the cooper stt's.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:46 PM
Banned

i have toyo mt's in 295/75 17
i like them, the are quieter than i thought, look good, handle weight well, really good traction, and if they would quit spinning would handle wear well
Old 12-07-2007, 04:27 PM

I have the Toyo MTs and the Cooper STTs on my other truck. General impressions are the Toyos are holding up better and wear better than the STTs. Also, Toyos are E rated and the Coopers are only D rated.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:54 PM

Thanks for the input and it does seem it's hard to go wrong with Toyo's. I may have jumped the gun a bit and am re-thinking the direction I want to go. Here in sunny NM, mud tires are something we use about 5-10 days a year, maybe a little more if you push things too far. Thus, I'm wondering about input on the Toyo AT? Maybe it is a little more aggressive AT then what I'm use to and would work out as a better compromise.

It has the exact size I have hoped to find which is a 285/75/17. Same width as I have but a 34 inch diameter. The 285 seems to be a good compromise for what I do and where I go as it will do okay in sand and okay in the sometimes mud we get but not too wide nor dig like a chainsaw in the sand.

I did notice dodgezilla04 say he has 295/75/17s though and I might have to look into that one although I don't remember it showing up on the Toyo site.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:57 PM

i love my 325/65/18 grapplers, but if your on 17's id say stick w/ the 305's.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by dwiningernm
Thanks for the input and it does seem it's hard to go wrong with Toyo's. I may have jumped the gun a bit and am re-thinking the direction I want to go. Here in sunny NM, mud tires are something we use about 5-10 days a year, maybe a little more if you push things too far. Thus, I'm wondering about input on the Toyo AT? Maybe it is a little more aggressive AT then what I'm use to and would work out as a better compromise.

It has the exact size I have hoped to find which is a 285/75/17. Same width as I have but a 34 inch diameter. The 285 seems to be a good compromise for what I do and where I go as it will do okay in sand and okay in the sometimes mud we get but not too wide nor dig like a chainsaw in the sand.

I did notice dodgezilla04 say he has 295/75/17s though and I might have to look into that one although I don't remember it showing up on the Toyo site.
285/70/17's will be 33" max- definitely not 34". also the 285 and 295's are 70/17 not 75/17- that's the size for 16" wheels.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:26 PM

I had a set of pro comp x-terain 35s on another rig. After 2 years I couldn't tell if any rubber was gone from them and it was a daily driver ( in town only, as for I dont get away to often ). If I remember corectly they are I think 8 ply, ( could be wrong on that as my brain has had better days ). I loved them and plan on putting them on my new rig when theys are gone.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:40 PM

I have the Pro Comp Extreme AT's ( I beleive they make MT's too) and have been very satisfied with them. They may still have the buy 3 get one free deal going on. BTW, where in sunny NM are you at?
Old 12-07-2007, 08:58 PM

I am running Mickey Thompson MTZ in the 315/70/17 size, and so far I like them. The MTZ 315s are actually like a 34.5" tire, not a 35, and they are rated at 3150#, so they are a very heavy D rated tire.

They seem really stable, unlike some tires with large sidewalls, and don't need a ton of air to be inflated enough. I am running 40 in the rears and actually need to air down to 35 or so to get all the tread evenly on the road. The road noise is not bad with them, and they look great on the truck. They are seriously a mean looking tire.

I have not had them long enough to comment accurately on treadlife, as I only have a couple thousand miles on them, but so far so good.

I came from Nitto Terra Grapplers in 295/70 and while they were less noisy, the treadwear wasn't great, and they didn't look good on the truck once they weren't new anymore. They don't have enough sidewall tread IMO and looked kind of "ballooney." I figured even if the MTZ don't last real long, they will still look better as they wear because the sidewalls are so much more agressive.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by chipmonk
285/70/17's will be 33" max- definitely not 34". also the 285 and 295's are 70/17 not 75/17- that's the size for 16" wheels.
You need to look at the Toyo site. They are the only ones I've found that have the 285/75/17 size but they do have it and it is a 34 inch tire. 285/70/17 is a 32.7 inch tire.

I also like the looks of the MTZ and if it is running a little smaller diameter might fit the mold. I have read that it works well on pavement and very well off. I also had very little luck with the Nitto Grapplers. Mine wore out quick and I had problem with them wandering all over the road. This was in a 16 though on another truck.

I'm in the southern part of NM right now but probably will be heading back to the Abq area before too long. Went to college in the Las Cruces area and am now in the Alamogordo area.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by dwiningernm
You need to look at the Toyo site. They are the only ones I've found that have the 285/75/17 size but they do have it and it is a 34 inch tire. 285/70/17 is a 32.7 inch tire.

I also like the looks of the MTZ and if it is running a little smaller diameter might fit the mold. I have read that it works well on pavement and very well off. I also had very little luck with the Nitto Grapplers. Mine wore out quick and I had problem with them wandering all over the road. This was in a 16 though on another truck.

I'm in the southern part of NM right now but probably will be heading back to the Abq area before too long. Went to college in the Las Cruces area and am now in the Alamogordo area.
the toyo m/t 285/75/17 is a new toyo size, but nobody (discount tire, 4 wheel parts, treadepot.com) has ever actually seen one. the mtz's are good on highway and really good off- i wish i could have a tire that was a combo of the toyo m/t and the mickey mtz.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by chipmonk
the toyo m/t 285/75/17 is a new toyo size, but nobody (discount tire, 4 wheel parts, treadepot.com) has ever actually seen one. the mtz's are good on highway and really good off- i wish i could have a tire that was a combo of the toyo m/t and the mickey mtz.
performance plus tire has them so does Kuaffman
Old 12-08-2007, 02:52 PM

I have had the Toyo ATs on mine for a few months now, and I really like them. They are like night and day compared to the Generals that were on there before, with a better ride, better handling, and decent wear so far.

Quick Reply: Time for new tires