3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Thuren Steering Stabilizer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thuren Steering Stabilizer?

I bought a stabilizer from one of the members here, who could not make it work with a mag hytec front diff cover. My question is are there any install tips anybody can share, where exactly does the clamp mount? Thanks Jason
Old 05-07-2008, 05:17 PM
Banned

if you're talking about the Fox shock Don sells with his clamp, it works on my truck with a Mag cover. It comes very close but, doesn't hit it. I think it depends on where you put the clamp.

What I did is turned the wheels all the way to the left ( driver side )... extended the shock as far as i could without the clamp hitting the cover and locked it down.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:46 PM

Turn the wheel all the way to the left. Mount the clamp and then slide it back 1/4 inch so the stabilizer isnt completely maxed out on a full lock left turn.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:16 AM

I just installed it per Dons' instructions. But as usual, there's more than one way to skin a cat. I dont have nitrogen and that was just the easiest way to do it by myself.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:40 PM

Thanks for the input. Since I bought it used I did not get Don's instructions. I do not have access to nitrogen. The cleaning part does sound like a good idea. Thanks Jason
Old 05-12-2008, 09:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello

PULL U 2, Could you remove the cover and make the install much easier?

Damon
Old 05-13-2008, 07:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pull U 2
Actually you want to do just the opposite(sorry guys) If you have access to nitrogen you can discharge the shock, install it to the frame mount, turn the wheels all the way to the right, collapse the shock all the way and then install the clamp. Recharge with 200 psi nitrogen.
If you don't have nitrogen you can completely install the stabilizer, turn the wheels as far right as possible, use a tie down or something else to hold back the clamp, loosen the clamp just enough to slide on the tie rod, turn the wheels left and keep the clamp where it was with the tie down(tie rod slides through it), tighten the clamp, turn the wheels as far right as possible bottoming out the stabilizer, secure it with the tie downs again, loosen the clamp enough to slide again, turn the wheels to the right again until the are all the way to the stops, tighten clamp all the way, remove tie downs and try out the steering.
You want it to use as much of the exposed shaft as possible so that when you turn right it will clean all the crud off the shaft.
That is one way to do it but, with a Mag-Hytec cover, you have to install it to where it's not going to hit the cover. There's maybe a 1/8" to work with between the clamp and the cover. Too much towards the left and it hits.

I still have plenty of travel in the shock the way I installed mine. It also does hit the cover. Doing it your way.... it wouldn't work.... with the cover
Old 05-13-2008, 10:27 AM

I centered the wheels, bolted up the axle side, then used my massive guns to compress the shaft to the center of the stroke and tightened the clamp. But don't try this unless you have at least 20" biceps like me.....

Old 05-13-2008, 12:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pull U 2
I'm not sure what cover you're talking about? sorry
Hello,

I was not clear. What I meant was to remove the Mag-
Hytec differential cover to provide the installation clearance and then reinstall after the stabilizer was installed. Does this help?

Damon
Old 05-13-2008, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
I centered the wheels, bolted up the axle side, then used my massive guns to compress the shaft to the center of the stroke and tightened the clamp. But don't try this unless you have at least 20" biceps like me.....
Is that both arms combined?

Quick Reply: Thuren Steering Stabilizer?