3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Throttle response with TST PMCR

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttle response with TST PMCR

I just installed a new to me PMCR with R49, and I see what you guys were talking about with regaurds to the lack of low end power. On my 2000 I loved the throttle responce with just the comp, but that seems totally different with the TST box and the 03. Would running an mp-8 make the truck drive more like the 2000? I want a smarty but i cant afford one right now, and ive seen some MP-8's sell for cheap. That and im just not sure if I like the idea of the downloaders. Thanks Joel
Old 10-27-2006, 06:24 PM

Running an EZ or MP8 with the TST will make your truck much more driveable. You will still have some lag though......
Old 10-27-2006, 08:44 PM

A MP-8 plugged into the MAP before the TST will make an amazing difference on the low end. Definitely a must-have with the TST. It really softens the hit, but increases overall power. More linear power, as opposed to a pipey 2-stroke.

If you really want to see a difference, get a Smarty. Even better than a module for bottom-end response.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:23 PM

Talking

I would not mess with your rail pressure with a ez or mp8
I have had a PMCR on for 75k now ,with no problems and the power is great. But, your right that you need some boost to get it going. But I have never noticed a lack of torque when I needed it. I have pulled several boats weighing from 5000 to 12000lbs and had no trouble having the power when it was needed. But I have also noticed that many are more interested in racing than pulling power, But to each his own
Old 10-27-2006, 09:52 PM

I feel the TST needs some pressure but there is another part I think we are all missing I feel the TST is so strong up top thats why it feels slow down low and you feel the hit that much more, with the added pressure they hit alot harder down low but dont feel as strong up top to me. I think it is because it has a more even pull with the pressure, now add the smarty to the picture and TST and pressure its insane power my duals do not like it. now I know alot of people dont think the Dr Performance is a good pressure box but there new stuff is good I have the stage 3 run it on tow mode with the smarty and TST and it is out of control for a freaking Diesel more or less a 3500 DRW Truck
Old 10-27-2006, 10:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I heard similar claims
Old 10-27-2006, 11:13 PM

I believe the key to my truck being fun to drive instead of just being powerful is the Smarty and a small turbo. The combo (plus TST and pressure) plain kicks!

Wednesday I dynoed at 479/941 with just the Smarty on 9 and EZ on 1.

I'm installing my MP-8 and rail gauge tomorrow to fine tune for the dyno day next Saturday. 500hp+ is within my reach with this combo (TST, MP8, Smarty). I can taste it!

Downloaders are awesome with the TST. I did 555/960 uncorrected with a bigger turbo, TST and BDDL on the Tow program.

The BDDL is a joke compared to the Smarty. On my truck it didn't do jack. It felt the same on all levels.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:34 AM

On my truck with just the TST, when I reach 12psi under heavy throttle the RPMs jump up to redline way to quick. To the point where it isn't fun. With the MP8 on 25%, which is a very safe level, it takes a lot less throttle to get moving fast and it's not such a violent kick when you reach 12psi....
Old 10-28-2006, 09:05 AM

Yah thats what I am looking for. I love the top end but want to be able to control the kick a little and make the power come on smoother. Ive found a couple of EZ's and a Diablo Downloader for pretty cheap how do these compare to the MP-8. Are the EZ and MP-8 pretty close to the same with just way more adjustability on the MP-8?
Old 10-28-2006, 10:47 AM

For your 03, the EZ is not adjustable from in the cab. When I ran an EZ I got worse mileage so being able to turn it off when I wasn't driving like a fool was something I really wanted. The MP8 is adjustable from 0% to 100% from in the cab. You do have to find a place to mount the dial but it's not that big of a deal. I didn't really feel any difference in power between the EZ and MP8 but the MP8 is supposedly better....
Old 10-28-2006, 10:58 AM

Ive read that the PDQ Volumizer is nearly the same as the MP-8. The only thing that I wonder about is the power settings are not adjustable from 0-100% rather they are stock 60 and 100 hp. Is 60 hp from pressure too much? Does anyone run a Volumizer TST stack? Thanks Joel
Old 10-28-2006, 11:04 AM

I don't know anything about that particular box but if it is strictly a pressure box then it will stack with the TST. Having only those settings is OK but 60hp is borderline too much pressure once you stack it with the TST. I would look at something with more adjustability...
Old 10-28-2006, 12:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And what is worse is with only the TST Twins and a 6sp.........

Slow out of the hole, then it hits hard and your moving along, and then shift and it drops the boost.....and comes back on HARD everytime you shift. After a while the herky jerky gets to me.

Ran mine with a EZ for a while, didn't seem to do much. But I've heard good things about the Mp-8/TST combo.

Now there is the Tst/Smarty combo.....there's more combo's out there now than at the local mexican fast food joint.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:09 PM

i am sure somone knows for a fact but i think the mp-8 works by controlling your map sensor into thinking it is getting full boost off idle so you can get full fuel when you want it -down low-. not by increasing rail pressure, but i maybe wrong. but if i am not i am sure the only reason why people use this in moderation and not on 100% is because of lack of fuel in the rail not too much pressure
Old 10-28-2006, 07:29 PM

The mp-8 will smooth the TsT out. With the mp-8 pluged in and off it helps the TsT add fuel on the bottom. If you are like me i run my tst in low setting until i need it. So the mp-8 makes a good kill botton when i need to put someone in there place and don't have time to turn the tst up. I just put the mp-8 on and it works great with the tst. I don't know if it will add alot of power but i feel it completes the TsT.

Quick Reply: Throttle response with TST PMCR