3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Thinking of going PPE

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 12:41 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by durasnack
http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...ad.php?t=14791

posted by my friend here in college station....which apparently is banned from this site although he originally told me about it. I learned a lot off that truck of his and all of his different set-ups.
That would be good ol' Phil. I don't think anyone had more set ups than him!
Old 03-05-2008, 12:51 PM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Running PPE Hot against standard Smarty programs is not exactly comparing apples to apples. I use what works on my truck. That being said I would love to compare a PPE hot on my truck against a Smarty BETA file so it wold be a fair comparison. Which ever unit took put down the high # would be in my glove box. The only thing that worries me about PPE is are they working on new software for the cummins as hard as Mads?
Old 03-05-2008, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

like stated in this thread, i wanted something different that makes big power. PPE can do that when you have Dan on the phone....can't say the same about some other employees there. I don't know if it was communication difficulty or what....but this redneck had about all i could stand of that surfer "bryan" in cali
Why would people want something that only makes big power when you have the guy on the phone? I'd rather pick it up, install it, and make big power and save my phone time for bragging.

RING RING.. Hey dan I wanna run the 1/4 mile, can you hold please...
Old 03-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by White97GTVert
Why would people want something that only makes big power when you have the guy on the phone? I'd rather pick it up, install it, and make big power and save my phone time for bragging.

RING RING.. Hey dan I wanna run the 1/4 mile, can you hold please...
Not literally smart one. I had heck with Bryan trying to get exactly what I wanted and Dan took care of it quickly.

Smarty standard vs PPE HOT. Well, PPE HOT has been around a LONG time, way before betas, and you can buy it off the shelf. You can't buy a beta program off the shelf.

Im not saying PPE HOT is king......like Ive said ten million times, don't be close minded. Theres lots of good options in the diesel industry, what works good on your truck may not work so well on another
Old 03-05-2008, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by durasnack
Not literally smart one. I had heck with Bryan trying to get exactly what I wanted and Dan took care of it quickly.

Smarty standard vs PPE HOT. Well, PPE HOT has been around a LONG time, way before betas, and you can buy it off the shelf. You can't buy a beta program off the shelf.

Im not saying PPE HOT is king......like Ive said ten million times, don't be close minded. Theres lots of good options in the diesel industry, what works good on your truck may not work so well on another
I guess sarcasm doesn't always come thru in text huh! I was just being smart. Of course I know what you meant.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by jwb600
I think someone should buy one and get on the dyno and report just how awesome it is instead of trying to bash on the smarty, lets see what the dyno shows and not he said, she said stuff

thats what Im talking about ...................
Old 03-05-2008, 11:42 PM

Just for kicks, does anyone have the numbers from what a old style 'low timing' HOT version layed down on an other wise stock truck? There been to many post on this very question for the smarty and is seems its always about 440 to maybe 450hp? Just wondering wher the hot version compaires to this. Like ive stated before i know a guy that says his did in the 490's with the standard tune that i run, of course on the 215 hp setting? I wasnt there and the numbers sound high to me to but... any one else have any numbers from their ppe- reg. or hot? And any one heard if the new reg. timing version of their 300/470 tune will be the same numbers or are they talking more? And is they proof from anyone that the program thats been out for ever really made the claimed 300hp or around 265= [-12%] at the rollers.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:53 PM

Allow me to pose a question...

Why is it that they would claim flywheel horsepower? The parasitic losses built into the drivetrain and accessories has already been accounted for in the initial hp before adding a programmer.

Why is it that adding 200 or 300 extra horsepower would also be debited at a 10-15% rate by the time it makes it to the rear wheels. Its not as if the drivetrain suddenly had more losses in it now that a programmer or other enhancer was added.

Example, you dyno a stock truck at 265 hp.. You add "215" flywheel horsepower. It should add that at the rear wheels as well since the drivetrain is exactly the same weight and frictional losses as it was before. I have always been confused as to why people still do that...

Anybody that can explain this a little better?
Old 03-06-2008, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by desertchecker
thats what Im talking about ...................
Who has bashed the smarty?? This thread siad "thinking of going PPE" and everything you hear about is the smarty?? I have not said which one has been better then then other. I have seen good things on both but what would be the fun if everybody had the exact same mods? Alot of guys this pulling season are gona be running the Smarty and I am gonna try the scarry larry tune from bully dog first then if it is not doing it for me I will probably try a PPE. Whats th point of everybody running the exact same thing?? I have seen rules on a 2.6 turbo but no rule you have to be running a Smarty yet.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:54 AM

No matter how You look at it, if a company claims thier power is rep. at the FW then youd better take off the loss perc. to be correct. Its close to 12% for a stick truck and 22% for a stock auto. I understand its much, much better with a aftermarket convertor. Its the same w/ cummins they rate at fw power, prob. for equipment that need that certain amount to run what ever it is. IE: 325hp crank= roughly 286[-12%] at the ground with a manual. Same w/ ppe you have to either dyno or at least subtract the losses for a close quess.- And we all know the dyno is the best way. Its just having the extra money and time to do it........