3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Thinking of going PPE

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have run a PPE for almost 3 years now. I was not looking for huge gains or smoke. I just wanted a little better mileage and a tuner to read codes. I got both with the PPE. I also wanted a programmer to reprogram my speedo which at the time was a selling point of the PPE (JUST NOT FOR THE CUMMINS). At any rate, if I used the power setting, my mileage was near 20 with 35 inch tires and a reprogrammed speedo. The power was enough to turn me sideways when reengaging speed control. My concern at that point was destroying the tranny. I run the TOW setting on my PPE and get between 16-18 mpg hand calculated and the power is enough for me. I have never even thought of trying the 3rd setting on my PPE. As for HOT and beyond, I can't even imagine that kind of power. I can smoke 3 35s with what I have, If you want need more than that, please record the sound of your axels snapping. I want to hear it.

Cheers
Old 03-03-2008, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by sdmark
I have run a PPE for almost 3 years now. I run the TOW setting on my PPE and get between 16-18 mpg hand calculated and the power is enough for me. I have never even thought of trying the 3rd setting on my PPE. As for HOT and beyond, I can't even imagine that kind of power. I can smoke 3 35s with what I have, If you want need more than that, please record the sound of your axels snapping. I want to hear it.

Cheers
Wow im sorry I find that funny seeing where the smarty tnt/r is.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:04 PM
Banned

Have any of yall actually tried all the products on the market...or is everyone biased???
Old 03-03-2008, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by durasnack
Have any of yall actually tried all the products on the market...or is everyone biased???
Make no mistake, I am NOT a fan of the PPE company. I have been jacked around by their lack of customer service and I believe I was mislead when I bought the product. But it makes good power and increased my mileage. I would like to try the Smarty but I have other things to spend the money on.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sdmark
Make no mistake, I am NOT a fan of the PPE company. I have been jacked around by their lack of customer service and I believe I was mislead when I bought the product. But it makes good power and increased my mileage. I would like to try the Smarty but I have other things to spend the money on.
same about PPE until I got a hold of Dan! Bryan was a lost cause

for the record, i have tried about everything out there!
Old 03-03-2008, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by durasnack
Plenty have the proof is in the pudding as they say.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tristan21
Plenty have the proof is in the pudding as they say.
keep telling yourself that!
Old 03-03-2008, 05:23 PM

Sorry wont try to be helpful again. You like false claims of tire size changes, constant surging, and paying more every time they come out with an upgrade
(which only happen once every year or so )then EXCUSE ME. Dont let people that have experience stand in your way. I'll getcha tha number.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tristan21
Sorry wont try to be helpful again. You like false claims of tire size changes, constant surging, and paying more every time they come out with an upgrade
(which only happen once every year or so )then EXCUSE ME. Dont let people that have experience stand in your way. I'll getcha tha number.
have the number, have used it, tried many tunes. tried 4.4. tried Scary Larry, larry 2.4.1, PPE HOT, PPE HOT +2 nitrous tune, HOT Juice, TST R47, TST R49ap, FASS then Glacier, every pressure box out there except the power puck, tried 3 different aftermarket turbo set ups, tried different injectors, modded feed tubes, different cp3's, different tranny companies, beta tested different boost foolers from companies not allowed on this site, and more. do all that and get back to me partner.

I had my truck over 575hp for 7 months on SEVERAL different set ups. I did break 600hp with a pump in the 48re totally dead!
Old 03-03-2008, 06:10 PM

well said! its one thing to read about somthing its another to do it for yourself
Old 03-03-2008, 06:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Caterpillartim
well said! its one thing to read about somthing its another to do it for yourself
my point exactly. Im not saying the smarty is horrible by any means, just don't hate so bad on other products til you try them first hand. Some of you may be very surprised......
Old 03-03-2008, 06:41 PM

You sure went to alotta work and wasted alot of money tryin every combo. That help ya to get WAY up there on your quest to 500 there HOT ROD?

What am I doin? Nevermind I didnt realize you had "MODDED FEED TUBES....AND MORE." I bet that helped alot at 500 hp.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:44 PM

Thers no more than a hand full of people that run the ppe tuners here that i know of, thats proff alone that its a horrible tuner that makes no power. You guys will too have to learn not to talk much on your tuner here. Too bias. Its simply habit now to down other tuners once you run the smarty. Try this: start another ppe thread and count the number of times 'smarty' is typed. I dont recall myself or any of the other guys running ppe's tuners downing smarty, Everyone Understands Smarty is a great tuner PERIOD but when a PPE question is asked why does it have to anyways go neg. to our comments and get no answers... just you should have bought a smarty. That gets old quick. This is a great forum i read here more than the others prob. it most of the time is very good people and very informitive for our trucks, lets keep it that way and stop bashing others products, unless you have Personally had issues then we can all learn from that. Ryan
Old 03-03-2008, 09:18 PM

Hey stock600 I never did "bash" the product in fact I found it humorous that the guy was cool with "tow mode" on his and he was laughin at broken parts and what not if you turn the std tune up and I was thinkin even where the smarty is and you dont see too many busted drivetrain parts.

Thats why I posted a laughable comment about it not to bash. I only pointed out the downsides of other peoples factual reports on why they got rid of theres after durasnack wanted to argue.

Heck I even offered a friendly comparo on the dyno to test em both out. I know kman is thinkin of trin it out and thought I was bein helpful. I will in the future avoid the PPE threads. I suppose im guilty by association for having a smarty and being pleased with the support and so forth.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:20 PM

I hate to get into the middle since I don't own either a PPE or Smarty but I feel compelled. You read alot of posts here where someone asks about a programmer or downloader they want to try because it's different. Sooner or later someone brings up brand "X" and then a couple posts later the thread gets totally derailed and comes nowhere close to answering the original question. If you state that brand "X" is better once, don't about you love for brand "X" over and over again. If you have too, start a new thread about it. Alot of folks (me included) use this forum for info, so when these little wars get started the ones that need the info the most get nothing. Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Thinking of going PPE