3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Thinking of going PPE

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of going PPE

Thinking of going to a PPE just to change things up. I need something that has good power throughout the range and is a dependable programmer. I hear it is comparable to the smarty but does it smoke like one? I love my TST it's just better when stacked with something and has more top end power then on the bottom. I don't see alot of guys running them on cummins is there a reason for that?
Old 02-28-2008, 10:30 PM

the one guy I talked to about his said he liked it alot. I know the hot version for the 05 is like 7-$800. thats alot of coin. I ran the tst stacked with a power pup on my 05 and it did pretty well. I didnt run them together all the time but I know now that 2 things that do timing are bad, but you have the R49 to turn the timing down or off on the box. I hope you plan to build your transmission because with stacked boxes it wont last long. obviously your truck is auto and mine was a manual but I had a clutch rated at 450hp slipping within 2 weeks. I think you will notice a big difference when you stack something with your tst. I thought my truck ran way better stacked than not
Old 02-28-2008, 11:32 PM
Banned

PPE HOT is a strong tune but does cost some cash. It doesn't smoke down low like a smarty, but the top end pull is very, very strong where the smarty is more down low.

If you deal with PPE directly, talk to Dan. Ive had better luck with him. New tunes from PPE should be appearing by summer....stay tuned to PPE.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:12 PM

i run one stacked with a dr. P box and love it im not sure why alot more cummins guys are not nuning them i think people belive the more smoke always means more power. myself i have tried alot of tuners and the ppe just works the best for me.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:34 PM

I've had a PPE for about a year and it works great. It pulls strong throughout the rpm range. As far as smoke, it smokes alot but i haven't tried another box. So i'm not sure if its more or less smoke.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by durasnack
PPE HOT is a strong tune but does cost some cash. It doesn't smoke down low like a smarty, but the top end pull is very, very strong where the smarty is more down low.

If you deal with PPE directly, talk to Dan. Ive had better luck with him. New tunes from PPE should be appearing by summer....stay tuned to PPE.
not sure what smarty your talking about that pulls more on the low end then the top end ?

my smarty experience has been nothing short of excellent smarty pulls strong on bottom -strong mid and pulls to the moon on top end .........

smarty power is so smooth and linear that it can be deceptive when in reality the power is just so strong ,smooth & linear it could feel as if maybe it does not quite have the spike peaky hit that could lead one to feel like wow this thing hits hard on the top end , but the smarty really rips on the top end , it's just that smarty power is so smooth !

I look forward to seeing PPE make an effort to compete with the
Smarty-TNT tune LMAO........
Old 03-01-2008, 12:53 AM

So I see its in your sig. Did you get it already? Man I sure feel like a stepchild here.

SUP BOB?
Old 03-01-2008, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by tristan21
So I see its in your sig. Did you get it already? Man I sure feel like a stepchild here.

SUP BOB?
you better wait until they get the bugs worked out of it. otherwise you could end up with something that would ruin your truck and you dont want that. im sure everybody and their mother wants this tune from him right now and so do I but im not gonna bug them until they act like they want to send it out
Old 03-01-2008, 01:35 AM

Yeah im just excited. I couldnt do anything with it yet even if I had it. My truck is still in the shop. I did hear its done now though. Too bad im 4 hours away from it till the middle of next week.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:59 AM

Hot+2 should definatly compare to the TNT tune!!!
Old 03-01-2008, 02:13 AM

It should be interesting to do a side by side comparo on the two. If nobody has tried it with results before then, in the fall if somebody wants to bring the +2 to the blackout event in springfield/rogersville I would be happy to be a test truck on the dyno.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:23 AM

I have the Smarty and Nothing beats it bottom/mid.
For snapping the pants off a Ford chick this is what you need!

PPE makes some interesting competition tunes but there are also some custom Smarty race tunes. PPE makes a fine product and if you are leaning that way that way talk to Dan...

For a street application the Smarty makes more sense than anything on the market. You can also grow with the same Smarty from high mpg stocker to an over 1000Hp rocker...PPE has some catching up to do here.

The TNT program will be the first to put down a solid 1000Hp on # 2...Stay tuned!

Get your turbos yet Tim???
Those Flux 6's are just slightly cooler than a plasma cutter!
Old 03-01-2008, 10:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by desertchecker
not sure what smarty your talking about that pulls more on the low end then the top end ?

my smarty experience has been nothing short of excellent smarty pulls strong on bottom -strong mid and pulls to the moon on top end .........

smarty power is so smooth and linear that it can be deceptive when in reality the power is just so strong ,smooth & linear it could feel as if maybe it does not quite have the spike peaky hit that could lead one to feel like wow this thing hits hard on the top end , but the smarty really rips on the top end , it's just that smarty power is so smooth !

I look forward to seeing PPE make an effort to compete with the
Smarty-TNT tune LMAO........
im speaking of standard smarty tunes, non betas. Keep in mind not every truck is always the same ghostrider.

Don't hate til you try it!

and yes, PPE has something to compete with the Smarty TNT...the nitrous version has been available for a while....and the regular version should be released by summer or in the summer.

I've even worked with a PPE engineer to flash a new stock program into a truck like Smartys can do. No, its not quite as simple but it can be done easily.

The smarty is a strong runner but PPE is too. The next few months will be interesting in the CR world....lord im happy to see the 400hp days of the 90's behind us
Old 03-01-2008, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Snapoff
Those Flux 6's are just slightly cooler than a plasma cutter!

Thats pretty good.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:03 AM

Joe at PPE is a very smart guy with diesel performance , they can really make a dura-max go fast , but seems like they have been relly lax on dodge cummins 05.5 + program tuning I did some testing here in california a few years back with the owner of PPE Joe and he told me at that time, PPE was working on a hot version for newer common rails , that was more then 2 years ago ? we are all still looking forward to PPE making a run some stronger programming for the newer common rail dodges !

I know bob & marco are always working on improvements for the Smarty , it's like they are constantly raising the bar to stay ahead of all others in the industry and recently it seems like the others have just laid down and accepted the smarty power as pure domination , no one has an answer yet !

competition makes us all go faster , I love the fact that even when smarty has no competiton bob & marco compete with themselves to make further advancements in smarty programming you are all going to love the TNT tune it's unreal ..................TNT hit's big time rpm and pulls like a mother bear !

Quick Reply: Thinking of going PPE