3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Thinking about compounds need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about compounds need advice

Have 06 with auto. Running an edge juice/attitude, and 5" magnalflow. I mainly tow with this pick up and want to cool the egts. Would like to be able to use the power i have instead of backing out because of high egts. I have looked into both the ats kit that uses the stock turbo, and diesel power source kit that uses the stock turbo. Both kits look well designed and there are advantages to both. Just want some advice from anyone running compounds.

-------------------------------------------
06 mega edge juice at, 5" magnaflow, leveling kit, 295 70-17 toyo mt
Old 07-12-2009, 08:39 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I would avoid the DPS kit, if for no other reason they use the BHT3B last I checked. While a fine, cheap now, and reliable turbo, it is just not as efficient as a s400. The ATS uses a a5k which is a k31 derivitive and would make for a good primary for your uses and ATS makes a good kit, if slightly overpriced.

I would recommend you look around more as well. There are a number of other options out there using the stock turbo too. I don't want to say "get this, don't get that" to you, just would like to see you do some more reasearch.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:29 PM

thanks for the info. Would gladly look at other brands just need names, wasn't sure about either kit. Been around deisels all my life but just now started modding them just trying to suck up as much info as possible.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:52 PM

Talking

I would suggest talking with Nathan at Maximized Performance Inc. and Rip at Source Automotive. Both extremely knowledgeable and helpful.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:56 PM

Ditto on MPI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get a stocker over S-400
Old 07-13-2009, 11:40 AM

I've got the BD Towing Twins and have been more than happy with them, just one more name to throw into the mix.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:37 PM

wicked diesels also have some nice kits
Old 07-13-2009, 12:50 PM

MPI all the way, I had the stocker over the S400 from him and it worked awesome! When I had stock sticks I couldn't get the EGT's over 1200 what so ever, and when I had DDP 110's they still stayed pretty cool. My buddy got a relentless stock/HT3B and the kit was horrible, and had some parts missing.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Your choices are MPI or BD. Or maybe even a set of Soulezoo's Ball Bearing specials.....
Old 07-13-2009, 04:35 PM

Part of the problem may be with the Edge. Don't bash me guys, I'm just talking from my personal experience. When I had my Edge it ran WAY hot. I was always shocked about how my EGT's went sky high real fast. I could barely stay on the throttle more than a few seconds and it was up to 1600. Now that I have an aftermarket single turbo and another programmer I almost never see high EGT's, even when towing. So, you may not have to go to compounds and if you did you might end up having the same problem if you stay with the Edge. Maybe!
Old 07-13-2009, 05:40 PM

The BDs are nice, but if you go crazy with the mods they top out quick. I'd go MPI if i had it to do over again
Old 07-13-2009, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by blackjet2500
The BDs are nice, but if you go crazy with the mods they top out quick. I'd go MPI if i had it to do over again
Believe BD has like 3 different twin sizes now... The R700 supports over 700hp I believe.. a S300 variant over a S400...
Old 07-13-2009, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by rock crawler
Part of the problem may be with the Edge. Don't bash me guys, I'm just talking from my personal experience. When I had my Edge it ran WAY hot. I was always shocked about how my EGT's went sky high real fast. I could barely stay on the throttle more than a few seconds and it was up to 1600. Now that I have an aftermarket single turbo and another programmer I almost never see high EGT's, even when towing. So, you may not have to go to compounds and if you did you might end up having the same problem if you stay with the Edge. Maybe!
Agree with the edge being overfueled. My thought was if i could actually flow enough air I could match the fuel and cool everything down. I usually run on the mileage or tow setting but i can easily go over 1400's without trying on either setting. I know there has been many debates on how hot you can go pre turbo, but anything over 1350 scares me and any thing over 1250 bothers me, but maybe im just thinking to old school. Maybe i would be better off to sell the edge and go with a different chip. I just like all the info you get in one box. Is the heat issue with edge a fuel issue or a timing issues? Here's where it goes over my head, but does a smarty run cooler because of the amount of fuel it gives, or is it because it adjusts injector timing where an edge does not? Appreciate the info from everyone and will be googling a few other companys tonite.

----------------------------------------------
06 mega edge juice at, 5" magnaflow, leveling kit, 295 70-17 toyo mt
Twins?
Old 07-13-2009, 11:55 PM

The Edge acts kinda like a pressure box. The only problem is that it does not have that much adjustability. Now IMO the best way to do it would be to go with a programmer and a separate pressure box. This gives you many more options. Going this way will be more expensive because you will need all the gauges too. You might ask around (or I'm sure someone will chime in) to see what all in one unit does not act as a pressure box or at least gives the ability to adjust it. I'm not telling you which one to get I'm just throwing out options. There are guys on here with a lot more knowledge than me.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Juice does not add any pressure on an 06. The problem with egts is that it does very very minimal timing and adds most of its power through duration. The Smarty can run much cooler depending on the settings you choose for timing. Going with a stocker over s474 from MPI will solve most of the Juice egt issues, but can still get hot if you are running the HOT level and towing. If you are towing on the lower levels you would be fine, and if you are not towing and running it full tilt, you would be fine also.

Quick Reply: Thinking about compounds need advice