3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Think I broke HTS shaft tonight

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
het ABC ,actually if you have one of those 4wd dial's, it will come out of 4wd,its controlled by vacum.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mulisha
het ABC ,actually if you have one of those 4wd dial's, it will come out of 4wd,its controlled by vacum.
It still won't come out of 4wd with the electronic dial. The 4wd stays engaged until the load is removed from the driveline.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:06 PM

are you 100 pecent sure, cause i could never get a def. answer
Old 10-25-2008, 11:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Last year when driving south on I-15 from Monida Pass, it was snowy so I was running 65mph in 4wd. As I neared Idaho Falls, visibility was bad but in the headlights it looked like there was still snow packed on the road, but it was really cold so sticky ice/ or possibly pavement. Every mile or so my whole truck would jump like it was binding up the drivetrain and then slipping a gear one tooth to get back syncronized. The first time it scared the crap out of me and I pushed in the clutch. Then about every mile for the next ten minutes it would do it. I finally slowed down and ran in 2wd and the binding pop stopped.

As I got really close to Idaho Falls, the road started to get nasty again so i went back into 4wd. No problems and drove the next 10 miles on mildly slick roads. Shortly the road kind of dried up again and 4wd started doing it's bind hop again. After one pop I then put her back in 2wd.

It is hard to gauge the road conditions when in blowing snow and driving at night. Just my two cents, 4wd and dry pavement do not mix well. I have not tried 4wd at the track yet and I am a little leary after my several hundred miles of mixed ice and dry.

Before I run 4wd at the track, I'm going to make dang sure that all of my tires have even and equal wear.

Has anyone else had problems with 4wd either on the highway or at the track? I have driven hundreds of miles at 70 mph on the ice without a hitch, it's just when the road gets more traction that my problems start.

Also note, 240K on the drivetrain.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mulisha
are you 100 pecent sure, cause i could never get a def. answer
Yes, I'm 100% sure.

Originally Posted by Big Blue24
Last year when driving south on I-15 from Monida Pass, it was snowy so I was running 65mph in 4wd. As I neared Idaho Falls, visibility was bad but in the headlights it looked like there was still snow packed on the road, but it was really cold so sticky ice/ or possibly pavement. Every mile or so my whole truck would jump like it was binding up the drivetrain and then slipping a gear one tooth to get back syncronized. The first time it scared the crap out of me and I pushed in the clutch. Then about every mile for the next ten minutes it would do it. I finally slowed down and ran in 2wd and the binding pop stopped.

As I got really close to Idaho Falls, the road started to get nasty again so i went back into 4wd. No problems and drove the next 10 miles on mildly slick roads. Shortly the road kind of dried up again and 4wd started doing it's bind hop again. After one pop I then put her back in 2wd.

It is hard to gauge the road conditions when in blowing snow and driving at night. Just my two cents, 4wd and dry pavement do not mix well. I have not tried 4wd at the track yet and I am a little leary after my several hundred miles of mixed ice and dry.

Before I run 4wd at the track, I'm going to make dang sure that all of my tires have even and equal wear.

Has anyone else had problems with 4wd either on the highway or at the track? I have driven hundreds of miles at 70 mph on the ice without a hitch, it's just when the road gets more traction that my problems start.

Also note, 240K on the drivetrain.
Something isn't right if you're getting that binding on straight roads. The only time mine will bind in 4wd is when turning sharply on dry pavement.

How do you have the tires inflated? It helps to keep the fronts a little higher than the rears. The front end is much heavier so having more air in the front tires helps keep the rolling diameters the same. If that's not the cause maybe you have a U-joint issue in the driveline or front axle?
Old 10-26-2008, 09:25 AM
tcr

Same here, Big Blue24 there's something wrong w/ your truck, I can drive all day long in 4x4 w/ no issues at all, just binding when taking a turn. Are you sure your front and rear tires are the exact same size in diameter, if so you've got a drivetrain problem.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:20 PM

I've driven on the freeway at 80 mph in 4HIfor many miles before remembering to put it in 2wd after a day of off roading. No bind, no funny noises, no handling issues.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by tcr
Well, the broke one I might have somewhere.......that was 5 months ago. What are the differences?
If you mean visual differences.
The easiest way tell the diff is to see if the splines are cut into the radius. The other manufacture stops prior to.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
I've driven on the freeway at 80 mph in 4HIfor many miles before remembering to put it in 2wd after a day of off roading. No bind, no funny noises, no handling issues.
Thats crazy....cause after I do 1/4 mile at the track there are times where it says 2wd after switching but it binds hard when making the 180 back to the shed. So I have to stop cycle to N then back to D and it is good.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:47 PM

That's what they are saying, it only binds when turning....same here only bind when turning.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is it fixed yet?
Old 12-29-2008, 09:15 PM

I see you creepin in here Mr. McMosley.....LOL