3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Is thier a stroker kit for the 5.9

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is thier a stroker kit for the 5.9

On my other thread someone posted a comment about a stroker kit, just wandering if thier was one out thier. Or will the 6.7 crank fit in the 5.9 block.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:34 PM
Banned

I dont think the cranks are the same. I know that the Reb has done alot of 6.7 and 5.9 testing and he has stated that at about 1000hp the 6.7 rods began to snap like toothpicks due to the different angles that they are at, and 5.9 are holding up to more power. You can have the thing bored if you want and put in some larger diameter and lower compression pistons, but I would imagine a simle in frame hone job will probably do the trick in your case, especially if not all the pistons and cylinders are in bad shape standard sized pistons arent too expensive until you start to buy them all at once. Were yall able to get the head of today? How do things look? What was the dealer going to do with the warranty when he picked it up did they put comments in their about it leaving dealer unfixed?
Old 12-22-2007, 09:28 PM

The 6.7 and 5.9 cranks are different. I think it is about .18" stroke. Most of the cubes in the 6.7 come from the bore. Stroking these motors would be worthless. If you want hp, you want bore. These motors have more than enough stroke. The rods were breaking because of the powerdered metal rods. Don calls them something else, but they are darn close to powdered. The rod lengths and sizes are the same in both motors, they changed the pin hieght in the pistons to make up the stroke. I think the vp rods would hold better, or you can just go billet. We thought it might have been the angles (part of it might have been), but we think it might have mostly materials. The only way to get the big bore is to get a 6.7 block. There is not enough material in the 5.9 to get that bore. That is why the blocks are different.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by CReed
I dont think the cranks are the same. I know that the Reb has done alot of 6.7 and 5.9 testing and he has stated that at about 1000hp the 6.7 rods began to snap like toothpicks due to the different angles that they are at, and 5.9 are holding up to more power. You can have the thing bored if you want and put in some larger diameter and lower compression pistons, but I would imagine a simle in frame hone job will probably do the trick in your case, especially if not all the pistons and cylinders are in bad shape standard sized pistons arent too expensive until you start to buy them all at once. Were yall able to get the head of today? How do things look? What was the dealer going to do with the warranty when he picked it up did they put comments in their about it leaving dealer unfixed?
I am stuck in kansas today, I 70 got shut down. My buddy hasn't called with any news on the engine. As soon as I know I will post, hopefully with pics. We are just gathering some ideas. I would like to go bigger but we have to see what the budget is.