3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Are these good first mods???

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are these good first mods???

Hey guys. My truck is stock so far, with the exception of a set of gauges (EGT, BOOST and Trans Temp). Soon I am going to install my Superlift 6" lift and some 37" tires. But for the "go better" mods, this is what I think I am going to do right away:

Rokkteck sensor mod (ordered it today)
Dynomax Bullet muffler
either AFE Stage II intake, or, build my own tube with a Green Filter.
Remove the Turbo Silancer ring.

I am going to talk to my service manager at dodge when I go get an oil change (9000 mile service) about installing the muffler. I think he won't have a problem with it. I'll tell him I am a redneck and want noise.
The reason why I want to buy a cold air kit, or, just build my own tube and use a green fliter, is because when I go to the dealer for my service, I want to return this part of the truck to stock. I do not want to cut my stock airbox at all, because then I can't go back to stock. So either get a kit, or, try to make "do" with a green filter and a tube. What do you guys think?

I want to hear my turbo, I want a bit more milage out of it, and would like to pick up some bottom end power and a faster turbo spoolup. Is this a good choice of mods? All but the muffler are easy to return to stock for the dealer trips.

Anything else I can do to help make the power I want and be able to return it to stock for service intervals?

In the future I want to add a box that will work with the rokktec sensor and make a bit more power (nothing crazy). And I think I am going to go with a new converter at that time.

Thanks a lot guys. Please let me know what you think, or, am I wasting my time?
Old 08-30-2005, 02:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what the heck is a rokkteck sensor mod?

The first mod to my truck was the edge juice with attitude. i don't think you can get a bigger bang for the buck. That is the only go fast part I have so far, and I blew away a HEMI just yesterday. Felt kinda bad. When I had my HEMI I thought it was pretty quick, but my diesel knowledge was nill. Now I know better.

By no means is it even close to the fastest vehicle I've owned. As a matter of fact, I had an old GMC Jimmy with a built 468 that was probabaly a little faster than my current truck,
BUT...

This truck makes me smile.

Without going nuttso on the $$$, my current goal is to see if exhaust and intake will let me keep up with my wife in her Infinity G35 coupe 6 speed. Probably not.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:44 PM

Guys...hate to break it to you, but exhaust and intake will really gain you nothing untill you add some fuel.

Your mod order should be...

GUAGES
Fuel (no more than 100 hp)
Intake/Exhaust
Turbo
Tranny
Fuel till you are happy.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by cquestad
Guys...hate to break it to you, but exhaust and intake will really gain you nothing untill you add some fuel.

Your mod order should be...

GUAGES
Fuel (no more than 100 hp)
Intake/Exhaust
Turbo
Tranny
Fuel till you are happy.
I agree, BUT

The truck is new, I use it as a main tool for my company, adding edge/fuel will VOID WARRANTY. Warranty is imporant to me. Once its out, YES, will do Edge and so on.

I have a 468 that will EAT this truck until I get and Edge+few other mods, and, a new tranny. The stock dodge auto is junk.

All I want is to set a base for a future mod, when the time comes, while hoping to get something right now. I am not looking for 100hp increase now, but maybe 2mpg.

Thanks.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:10 PM

Most folks I hear from don't have much trouble with warranty with a box,programmer,etc.As long as they didn't get stupid with it the dealers understand the need for a little more pulling power and mpg.Now go 100hp or more and go top-end racing till you fry the thing and they show no mercy.But most of the stuff on the market today will not directly destroy a motor or tranny,unless there is some "user error".Several of my friends have actually been told not to bother taking out their programmers,cause they know that its been there regaurdless.Are the rest of the country's dealerships not the same???
Old 08-30-2005, 05:17 PM

Yes, well, the service manager told me that it won't void warranty unless the part causes something to fail.

I agree on being carefull, and this is what I want to do, but, am worried that any powertrain misshap at all and I'll be screwed. I will talk to him again next time I am in. I would not set it high at all unless I am ready for it. Again, the stock dodge tranny is junky in my oppinion, and I am so far dissapointed, don't even want to think what it would be like under power/slip.

They data log the boost/fuel, so once you put it on, its over. They know.

Again, its an idea maybe 6 months from now. For now, I think I should wait and see.

Stage 1 or 2 on the edge would be nice!
Old 08-30-2005, 05:51 PM

Sounds as though you have a good plan to play it safe and gradually get into the hp.Good luck man.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:49 PM

I also had the pucker-factor in play when considering my upgrades on my current truck. I was leery about upgrading the Gen 3 because of the sloppy tranny/T.C. I decided to go w/the Quad race box and as time passes I will rebuild my tranny and probably run twins. I still want to here from someone who runs twins on a Gen 3
Old 08-30-2005, 07:11 PM

Originally posted by Pull U 2
Your warranty can be voided just as easily with the intake and exhaust as it could for a box. If you plan on taking everything off to go to the dealer then a box is no different, 10 min. to uninstall. Taking out the silencer ring will do absolutely nothing except make the turbo whistle louder.
Yes, I know, but the box leaves a datalog.

Like I said, will talk to him about muffler.

I want the sound, hence why the ring is going by by!
Old 08-30-2005, 08:18 PM

Really?

I was under the impression that they would see anything, even on level 1.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:29 AM

They have to know what to look for...

You won't see the mileage improve without a fuel box either.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:42 AM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I think those are good mods, and I would do it in the same order. After warranty, when you get a module, then your truck is all ready for it.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:51 PM

If you go crazy on intake and exhaust you could actually lose power. Air flow mods could allow the turbo to spool to the point where the ECM defuels the motor.

Quick Reply: Are these good first mods???