3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Is there a need for a tranny by-pass filter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a need for a tranny by-pass filter?

Just wondering if there is any need for a transmission by pass filter? I tow a lot, drag race a little, may even pull a sled this year.

I understand a bypass filter may restrict flow and cause high temp transmission problems. Or is that a myth?

I'd certainly put one in if it meant extending the life of my transmission.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:30 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have though about this as well. After considering the cost of adding the filter and such, I decided that I would just do shorter intervals on servicing my trans. There really wasn't a suitable location (in my opinion ) to put the filter. Beside the added possibility of leaks.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:46 PM

Shouldn't you flush the entire system at every service change? Draining the pan doesn't really do a complete job. I just figured a bypass filter would save on shorter service expenses. Maybe not.

Ats wants service done every 15000 miles. Sound right?
Old 03-09-2008, 06:53 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thats a bit extreme to me.....I do it every 30K. The filter will add some restriction, but as long as you don't go to 2 micron or anything, it may be o.k. What is ATS's viewpoint on the filter? I know the returning fluid from the coolers goes directly to the planetary gears to cool/lubricate them. Any restriction is bad news! The whole "flush" thing I never bought into. The filter in the pan catches 95% of the debris, the magent gets a ton as well. If the rest of the fluid is "that" bad.......there is usually another issue.....like something about to grenade!
Old 03-09-2008, 06:55 PM

I plan on installing one on the return line to the transmission after the cooler. The filter I will use is a Fleetguard (Don't have the # handy). It has a high flow rate and 20 micron rating. I figure the extra filtering can't hurt. I really run the truck hard when towing. I added an extra deep pan for added cooling, and I may install an small electric fan in front of the trans cooler to aid in cooling when in traffic. Overkill? Maybe, but transmissions don't grow on trees!!!
Old 03-09-2008, 06:58 PM

ATS never mentioned the use of a bypass filter. In their warranty they state the transmission should be serviced every 15000 miles. I agree, it is excessive.

I'm simply paranoid about maintaining my transmission. It is the last upgrade I made to my truck. Before it was the turbos. Yet I am no longer concerned about abusing them. I suppose sooner or later I won't be so paranoid about abusing my tranny, either!
Old 03-09-2008, 10:36 PM

You are talking about an inline filter, and to be safe the filter housing you use should have a bypass valve in it so if the filter plugs the bypass will open and still let oil flow. A true bypass filter in the sense that it would bypass part of the flow to the oil cooler, would be installed between the pressure and return line. Doing that would allow a small amount of oil to go through the filter from the pressure side and directly into the return line. I have been contemplating doing just that with mine but I'm not sure how much it will effect the tranny temps. As with an engine bypass filter you dont want all the oil flow going through the filter just a small amount. With the filter installed this way if it happens to plug up you will not block the oil flow in the circuit, it will also have zero effect on the overall oil flow of the system.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:56 PM

Anyone make a bypass filter kit?
Old 03-11-2008, 11:42 AM

I see BD has one -- anyone use it?
Old 03-11-2008, 01:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've asked a few trans re-builders about adding one and they say not to put one on stock Dodge trans as it can cause problems. IIRC they said it can cause fluid flow problems and cause the trans to burn up or something like that.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:51 PM
DTR Advertiser

We do have a bypass filter kit for them. Every one of our transmissions leaves with one of our kits. They are a great way to filter out some of the extra "crap" between full tranny servicing.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by kantdrive55
We do have a bypass filter kit for them. Every one of our transmissions leaves with one of our kits. They are a great way to filter out some of the extra "crap" between full tranny servicing.
No its an inline kit, do you know if it has a bypass valve on the filter housing?
Old 03-11-2008, 05:30 PM
DTR Advertiser

Originally Posted by Minwy
No its an inline kit, do you know if it has a bypass valve on the filter housing?

Sorry you are right, it is an inline filter kit with a bypass valve built into the filter housing. That way if the filter plugs, it will bypass it.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:06 PM

So this kit will not restrict flow?