3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Is there ANY safe low end power adder?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 12:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JThiessen
I've Run an EZ (1 year), Quads XZ std (3 years), and a Smarty (3 months).
The Smarty has the most punch of the three, but dont let anyone who has "six months" of safe driving be your choice maker. Most of us want years out of our parts, not a few months. The Smarty can and will be the death of my tranny: I was towing on level 1 using the Beta software when it started slipping. It was only later when they said ...."uhhhh - stock guys dont use this!!". Oh well, I knew the risk! It is not intended for stock users - they recommend that stockers stay under level 3. Bob and Marco will likely tell you the same. But remember guys, he asked for the best SAFE low end power. To me, that takes Smarty (and TST, and Juice, and VA, etc) out of the picture.

Customer Service - the best is the one with "none required". Second would be someone thats there when you need it. Quads done A LOT of customer service on my stuff. I wish his stuff fell into the "none required" (at least on my parts). Bob also provides great customer service for the Smarty. I have no experience with customer service with Edge.

The quad gave me the nicest towing power of all three (notice I said "nicest", not "most"). I never felt like I was going to break anything with it. The EZ tended towards high EGTs - I HAD to upgrade the intake and exhaust for it (I ran stock intake/exhaust with the Quad and never had an issue). I never did take any of them to a dyno, but I dont believe I ever got full power out of the Quad boxes on either one of my trucks. Some guys have posted that they could easily smoke the tires with their XZ Std's. I had to work very hard to get mine to break loose, even on level 4. The Smarty....well, I need new tires.....and a tranny.

Pulling the Quad off my truck was like having to dump a model with a drug problem (not that I've ever had to do that!!). But the Smarty has helped cure the blues!
Hmmmmmm...... 1 yr on the EZ, 3yrs on the Quad and then you run the smarty and claim it's the reason your tranny is slipping. Seems to me, you did the damage long before you even installed the smarty.

Those boxes all should enable you to spin the tires off, not just the smarty. Yes, maybe the smarty has more power but, that is controlled BY THE DRIVER... period.

There's a lot of Smarties that have been sold to completely stock trucks and they will probably stay that way as not all are out to completely mod their trucks. They're looking for towing help and a little more pep. With all the software options smarty has... I'd say it's a lot safer than those with only 3 or 4 tuning options.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:00 PM

I understand what everybody is saying. It's just real easy to get caught up in the hype on these boards. Next thing you know you've skirted around the supporting mods and added 200extra rwhp with the thought that "I'll do the trans once I feel it start slipping." Or "I'll get some guages as soon as I have some extra cash." Next thing you know your truck's in the shop needing a transmission or short block and the reality of it all hits you like a brick.
There may not be any of these types of guys reading this topic but they are definitely out there. I even know one or two. Every now and then someone needs to remind them about this. I think that's all Qzilla was trying to say in a nutshell but I'm sure he will chime in when he sees where this has gone...

For me, My Predator gives a really nice boost of power on the bottom and all the way to the top end. It's awesome but I can feel that I'm probably pushing the limits of the OFE. Lots of guys are daring me to go higher with the power but I'm happy where I'm at. I just wish I could get this kind of power from a plug-in module. I may try another Quad box in the near future. Their boxes gave me the smoothest power curve of any plug-in box I have tried to date.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by tritont
to both of you guys.... NO one makes anyone use anyone use a box. Anyone who does is on THEIR own. The manufacturer, this board or anyone who posts a response to a question is NOT responsible for problems arising from someone putting there foot to the floor.

He asked for low end power. We might as well say don't do a thing if you're concern about who will be around when damage occurs. As was mentioned, all boxes will give a little something, some more than others on the bottom end.

Smarty is NOT that wild. Maybe if you use some of the aftermarket turbo programs but, we don't download these programs for people. Right there on MADS site..... you have to agree that you're aware of what you are getting ready to download. If you don't have the mods to support those downloads... you shouldn't be doing it. That is NO ONE's fault but, the person who downloads it.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread... "it really depends on the software used. Some are for sure more aggressive than other but, he's asking for power on the low end. The low end throttle response smarty gives is great"

I ran the Smarty on my stock tranny for almost 6 months. The only time I had any problem with the tranny was when I stacked the TST with it. Even then, it wasn't that bad and the tranny held up fine. Now, if I abused it.... I would have been on the side of the road but, that's where you have to use your common sense.

All we can do is give our opinions which is what was asked for. What anyone does with those opinions is up to them.

I agree, it should be everyones own decision. He is obviously looking for input.

Here is the problem:

He asked this
Is there ANY safe low end power adder?
You and others saw this
he's asking for power on the low end

You are only one word off.......SAFE

LIke I said earlier, they are all great power adders but, I think there is a lot of bad advise and I don't get it??? DO you really think a Smarty is a "SAFE" low end power adder??

To me "SAFE" means nothing is going to ever break.

I am not against any of these products, I just think everyone overlooks what they really ask for.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:10 PM
Banned

I suppose this could go on and on but, really the only true answer for the posted question should have been .... No there's isn't any "safe" power adder . But, I don't think that's what people are looking to hear. Most should assume by going outside the OEM parameters, they're a taking a risk. Nothing aftermarket could be considered " safe " The only way to be safe is to stay stock but even then... it's not a safe bet the dealer will take care of you.

Old 07-29-2007, 01:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess if you want safe power, do it naturally. You know, before I got into the diesel craze I always heard that the cummins was the milk and honey of engines. They had "the most low end power of any full-size truck in its class" and is one of the longest lasting trucks on the road. Crazy how much of a hold aftermarket products have on our souls, because that above statement means nothing to me now!!! The new thing is " I want more low-end power and it has to be safe!!!" Good luck on that. You just got to take your risks safely.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:29 PM

There you go tritont! You hit it on the head...
Old 07-29-2007, 02:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I replaced the muffler first. It was a no-brainer to get rid of that choked down 3" POS. Then I replaced the turbo and that made a vast improvement for even, smooth power and more on the top end - great driveability improvement. No electronic changes - just doing what I thought DC should have done. I don't know if that would work on the 325. I know nothing about them but you might want to check into that kind of stuff first. You might get more even power and lower egt like I did. Craig
Old 07-29-2007, 03:43 PM

Does the Smart fuel hard down low on all levels?
Old 07-29-2007, 04:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It fuels some but seem to be much harder from sw6 and up. Every level has a considerable amount of low-end fueling with the exception of maybe the first few #s
Old 07-30-2007, 12:32 AM

I bought the Smarty for exactly what you are looking for. I run on Level #3 (60hp with timing) all the time. I love the extra power down low. Makes it feel like driving a gasser. I don't intend on any other go fast mods at all. I'm stock exhaust and intake with stock filter even.
The Smarty is doing everything that I wanted from it. With a little extra smoke that is easily controlled with your right foot.