3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Is there ANY safe low end power adder?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lol yeah well i updated the smarty with the aftermarket turbo update so it would fuel as hard as my truck would handle with out any other upgrades and it was rediculous. I thought the tranny was going to come apart it sounded mean. 55 to 80 was insanly fast. Yeah the bully dog stacked with the edge ez runs its but off. im very impressed. I can only imagine what the edge ez would be like with a smarty. When i had the smarty on my truck i had it all the way up which is most likely why i thought it was so aggresive. The bully dog isnt that bad it seems like it builds alot of the power on the higher end once you get to about 2200 or so it just jumps to redline but from a dead start its a dog. The edge ez really helped with that though i have to be careful or it will just smoke the rear tires off cranked all the way up and i have 33.12 18 Nitto Mud Grapplers on it. I can only imagine how much worse it would be with the smarty.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quadzilla XZT gets my vote as well...its an awesome box for low end power. I stacked it with my Triple Dog for a while and then ran it by itself after I sold the Triple Dog....its still very good on the bottom end.

Its the best bang for the buck I think as far as boxes....

I'm running a Smarty now and absolutely love it....I really liked my Triple Dog but the Smarty really impresses me. Considerably lower EGTs, more "usable/smoother" power right off the low end, and it can roll some serious smoke

There are several XZTs for sale in the classifieds section (odd being its a highly favored box)....I have one there myself
Old 07-28-2007, 10:28 PM

I'm happy with my juice, not huge bottom end though. Can't say anything about the customer service because it's been flawless for the last 3 years.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:36 AM

The puck or ez will work as will our XZT box. They should all provide additional bottom end power and not sacrifice any other hard parts. Our XZT will have the most on the bottom out of the ones that I listed, I guarantee that. It is made for towing and has a lot of torque quickly.

Also most of the issues we encounter with XZT modules are installation issues and once we get them straightened out there are no codes and I have never heard of an XZT causing a limp mode. I do not know for certain but, i can only imagine that the puck and ez would be the same in that department. I would be a little careful with the puck on the higher setting as 90hp with straight pressure and no boost fooling might have consequences in the long run??

Ok, for the rest of you guys. Do you really think that the Smarty with aftermarket turbo or Bullydog with removed torque management, or Bullydog on Extreme is really a safe option for what he wants?? I know they run good, I know they run hard, I know that you can trash a stock tranny with these in a matter of minutes.......what gives? Where will you be when he smokes the TC and fries the clutches??
Old 07-29-2007, 05:39 AM

Amen to that Qzilla! I've been trying to tell people that for years. We're all friends here but when your stuff breaks you will be working on it all by yourself!!
Old 07-29-2007, 06:55 AM

Minor mods

A couple of items you may look into would be improving the air flow into the turbo by cutting a 4 inch hole in the bottom of your stock airbox and getting a clothes dryer vent kit and running the hose down just above the lip of the front bumper. Look into an aftermarket filter, I personally do not like the cotton gauze ones and prefer oiled foam. 10,000 Bastow to Vegas enduro riders could not have been wrong. There are some excellent dry air filters also, one from Amsoil.

Rokktech has a kit to advance the timing a couple of degrees for the crank sensor. You already have the aftermarket exhaust but I suspect you may have lost some bottom end with it.

I run the Quadzilla std box on my '03 typically on the 60 HP setting and have had no problems, really like it for my useage which is towing heavy but switch to 30 HP. Be realistic about your goals to avoid the bigger, badder, is better syndrome. Good luck.

L8r,..........dogger
Old 07-29-2007, 09:29 AM

The guys that always want the biggest and baddest arnt always bad. Having something that will flat out smoke the tires off and run with just about anything isnt bad. Yes i know its hard on clutches rear ends ect. I have completely destroyed 3 14 bolt chevy rear ends in my old 1/2 i built up with detroit lockers in two of those due to way to much horsepower and a transmission that was built for a 1400hp car. So i dont mean to mislead you to something that is going to cause trouble codes or limp mode. I have personally never had any issues with Edge. I had a Edge Comp Box on my 2001 2500 and never had any issues with it and i still havnt had any issues with my Triple Dog/EZ combo. My egt's never reach 1100. I know when to back off. So for just a little low end and not the rediculous amount like i was talking about where the standard tranny sounds like its going to come apart its running so hard you should try either the Quadzilla or the Ez they are both great products and should serve you for years with no problems.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:09 AM

Well, I may look into ordering a XZT this week. I found a local vendor that has a really good price on them. I figure for the cost of the box doesn't really make it a risky purchase, the Smarty is overkill for me as far as power and cost goes.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by qzilla
Ok, for the rest of you guys. Do you really think that the Smarty with aftermarket turbo or Bullydog with removed torque management, or Bullydog on Extreme is really a safe option for what he wants?? I know they run good, I know they run hard, I know that you can trash a stock tranny with these in a matter of minutes.......what gives? Where will you be when he smokes the TC and fries the clutches??
Originally Posted by dodgezilla
Amen to that Qzilla! I've been trying to tell people that for years. We're all friends here but when your stuff breaks you will be working on it all by yourself!!
to both of you guys.... NO one makes anyone use anyone use a box. Anyone who does is on THEIR own. The manufacturer, this board or anyone who posts a response to a question is NOT responsible for problems arising from someone putting there foot to the floor.

He asked for low end power. We might as well say don't do a thing if you're concern about who will be around when damage occurs. As was mentioned, all boxes will give a little something, some more than others on the bottom end.

Smarty is NOT that wild. Maybe if you use some of the aftermarket turbo programs but, we don't download these programs for people. Right there on MADS site..... you have to agree that you're aware of what you are getting ready to download. If you don't have the mods to support those downloads... you shouldn't be doing it. That is NO ONE's fault but, the person who downloads it.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread... "it really depends on the software used. Some are for sure more aggressive than other but, he's asking for power on the low end. The low end throttle response smarty gives is great"

I ran the Smarty on my stock tranny for almost 6 months. The only time I had any problem with the tranny was when I stacked the TST with it. Even then, it wasn't that bad and the tranny held up fine. Now, if I abused it.... I would have been on the side of the road but, that's where you have to use your common sense.

All we can do is give our opinions which is what was asked for. What anyone does with those opinions is up to them.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:38 AM

Those of us that have been around a while know all of this. Sometimes people ask a question and if the responder sounds like he knows what he's talking about then the guy may just take his advice without asking about any consequences. It's usually Newbies and the younger crowd that just want to blow people doors off.
Remember, just because someone is on these boards and has lots of parts on their truck, doesn't mean they know jack about anything.... You kind of learn who is in the know....... One day I hope to be one of them instead of just a poser.......

And low end power is what really kills these transmissions. That's why one should be careful how much low end power they want. Nothing like blowing up a brand new truck, eh.......
Old 07-29-2007, 11:02 AM
Banned

agreed but, you don't see one manufacturer that advertises in a magazine making claims about how much damage you will do using their product. All you see is how much power it will give you...etc. You may see some kind of disclaimer on their websites but, not everyone that buys a product from a magazine is going to go looking for that.

what really got me was qzilla's statement ....
"what gives? Where will you be when he smokes the TC and fries the clutches??"

What do you mean where will we be ??? No one twisted anyone's arm. No one told anyone to go out and put your put to the floor and not worry about which setting you're running.

IMO, if anyone is going to be as nieve as you say... they shouldn't even be thinking about modding. You would think we're all big boys and girls here whether you're 18 or 80. With that in mind, you'd also think common sense would be taken when taking advice or putting your foot to the floor after a mod.

I agree warnings should be given but, to say anyone other than the driver would be responsible is ridiculous.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One low end power adder that would be absolutely safe and no chance of affecting your warranty would be a 4.10 diff. You aren't guaranteed impunity with any aftermarket electronics! Craig
Old 07-29-2007, 11:36 AM

You guys are correct. While I'm no expert, I do probably understand the basic concepts and consequences as well as anyone. My tech said something to me after my TST went crazy, he said, "You don't really NEED any of these boxes, these truck have PLENTY of power in stock form, more then you really need." That really was a slap of reality. Of course who bought my defunct TST and then promptly killed their tranny? My tech.

Bottom line is that despite what the vendors and makers of these products say, they are not good for the truck and you are greatly increasing your odds of having a mechanical failure of sorts by using such products. My feeling is that I would like to own the product with the least amount of risk if I buy one at all. As I said earlier, I may wait until I get my transmission built up in the next week or two before I decide if a mild box is worth the risk. I think much of my dislike for my acceleration stems from what I consider to be a pretty poorly matched setup to the Cummins.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:52 AM

I might be only 19 but i have learned what serious power will do. Im not exactly an expert but i know my stuff and the things i have experimented with. I dont know everything and im not trying to give the impression that i do. And you guys were right we wernt twisting anyones arm none of us want someone who looks at the Forums to go out and build something up they know nothing about. None of us want to see anyone on here completely destory their tranny ect. just because of our advise. Its mierly advise.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:11 PM

I've Run an EZ (1 year), Quads XZ std (3 years), and a Smarty (3 months).
The Smarty has the most punch of the three, but dont let anyone who has "six months" of safe driving be your choice maker. Most of us want years out of our parts, not a few months. The Smarty can and will be the death of my tranny: I was towing on level 1 using the Beta software when it started slipping. It was only later when they said ...."uhhhh - stock guys dont use this!!". Oh well, I knew the risk! It is not intended for stock users - they recommend that stockers stay under level 3. Bob and Marco will likely tell you the same. But remember guys, he asked for the best SAFE low end power. To me, that takes Smarty (and TST, and Juice, and VA, etc) out of the picture.

Customer Service - the best is the one with "none required". Second would be someone thats there when you need it. Quads done A LOT of customer service on my stuff. I wish his stuff fell into the "none required" (at least on my parts). Bob also provides great customer service for the Smarty. I have no experience with customer service with Edge.

The quad gave me the nicest towing power of all three (notice I said "nicest", not "most"). I never felt like I was going to break anything with it. The EZ tended towards high EGTs - I HAD to upgrade the intake and exhaust for it (I ran stock intake/exhaust with the Quad and never had an issue). I never did take any of them to a dyno, but I dont believe I ever got full power out of the Quad boxes on either one of my trucks. Some guys have posted that they could easily smoke the tires with their XZ Std's. I had to work very hard to get mine to break loose, even on level 4. The Smarty....well, I need new tires.....and a tranny.

Pulling the Quad off my truck was like having to dump a model with a drug problem (not that I've ever had to do that!!). But the Smarty has helped cure the blues!

Quick Reply: Is there ANY safe low end power adder?