3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Is there ANY safe low end power adder?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there ANY safe low end power adder?

I'd like to add just a little low end to my truck, but I really hate the idea of something throwing codes or causing other issues like limp mode that my old TST caused.

I was thinking either a Puck or an EZ. Any advice?
Old 07-28-2007, 12:11 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Quadzilla would be my vote. Safest out there in my opinion! Been flawless on my truck! ( except I am now always wanting more! ) Contact Lary in the DTR store. Excellent customer service and pricing!

DTR members get the best pricing - - 304-952-6896
Old 07-28-2007, 12:36 PM

Quadzilla XZT. I have used it befor on my truck it worked well.low Egt on codes. I Think the EZ and the puck run a little hotter Than the Xzt. That would be one I would run.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:12 PM

I don't know. If you're like me, the first thing I do is a search and more often then not it turns up a list of issues. It seems the XZT is no different. Granted most of these threads seem to be a couple of years old, but still it makes me nervous when "issues" seem to be fairly common. The guys that make the XZT seem like they provide excellent customer service, but to me the best customer service is not to need any in the first place.

I think i may wait until after I get my new transmission in next week before I decide if I even NEED a little something extra. The XZT and the Puck still seem like decent options at this point. Like I said, I went through all this before with TST, and it's hard to believe that I'm even considering it again.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:13 PM

my vote would also be for the quad xzt ..... customer support like crazy !! don't start !! it is like a drug !!! it never ends !!!!!

Gary
Old 07-28-2007, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by swansong04
my vote would also be for the quad xzt ..... customer support like crazy !! don't start !! it is like a drug !!! it never ends !!!!!

Gary
I know what you mean. I spent over $10k on mods for my truck within the first 8 months of ownership. All it gave me was headaches and a shrinking bank account. I'm trying to start over doing it the right way this time, from the ground up. My goal this time is for a reliable truck, not a black smoke pouring rocket to impress teenagers.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:21 PM

Get the XZT and the Commander to watch egt's, they can get up there.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by coolslice
I know what you mean. I spent over $10k on mods for my truck within the first 8 months of ownership. All it gave me was headaches and a shrinking bank account. I'm trying to start over doing it the right way this time, from the ground up. My goal this time is for a reliable truck, not a black smoke pouring rocket to impress teenagers.

well i have to say i have had great success with my (touch wood ) when is come to boxes , transmissions , cold air intakes and on and on and on .. i have never had the problem that i read So much about on here .. my truck makes great numbers on the dyno and pulls like crazy .. it is hands down my favorite toy ... oh well besides the wife i mean ..
Old 07-28-2007, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by iweb
Get the XZT and the Commander to watch egt's, they can get up there.

i agree with that too .. i had analogue gauges before i got my xzt and wow the egt's can get up there very fast .. much fast it seemed then with my J/A

Gary
Old 07-28-2007, 01:22 PM
Banned

my vote goes to the Smarty for the low end... if they can just figure of the high end... it might be a one stop shop
Old 07-28-2007, 01:31 PM

Well, here's the deal. I am upgrading my transmission with an overhaul kit, new VB and TC. I decided not to mess with the shafts because most local transmission guys here told me that it was a waste if I didn't plan on racing or sled pulling. Even the vendors told me I would be fine at stock or slightly higher power levels with what I plan to do.

I was under the impression that the Smarty is pretty agressive. All I really need is a little bit extra down low. It just feels like it takes a lot to get going, especially compared to my buddies 6.7. I am betting that my new tranny may solve this to an extent, and I'm hopeful that it will. If not I will add something I guess.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:46 PM

the lower settings on the bully dog seem to work pretty well. I ran on power pup on my 05 and it did pretty well. running the smarty now but have never ran it on lower than 7 lol
Old 07-28-2007, 02:53 PM
Banned

with the options of programming the smarty gives... it's no where near as aggressive as some of these other boxes listed. All these boxes work differently on different trucks. What might be good for you may not be as good for someone else.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:50 PM

The Smarty is redicuously agressive. I have ran it on my 2007 6 speed before i bought my bully dog and its fuels so hard at low end. You have to be careful or you wont have any tires. That might have just been my fuel happy right foot but the bully dog fuels no where near as hard as the smarty which is why im selling my bully dog pretty quick to buy a smarty
Old 07-28-2007, 04:20 PM
Banned

well, I suppose that depends on what's considered aggressive. I'm very surprised to hear the BD is that bad when so many say they really like it. Glad I never tried it.

If you compare the Smarty to the TST, the Smarty is a kitty kat and the TST is a lion. That's what I consider aggressive although the TST works up high and not on the low end.

Smarties powerband couldn't be delivered much smoother. As I said though... it really depends on the software used. Some are for sure more aggressive than other but, he's asking for power on the low end. The low end throttle response smarty gives is great.

Quick Reply: Is there ANY safe low end power adder?