3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Texas Emissions Testing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to do emission testing in CA.
Its been a few yrs. , but like said earlyer , emission equiptment , is a fed. law , with CA. being more restrictive .
So if you do feal like you want to take off then be awere that if you get testy with the inspector then he may get motivated to do the same , and ticket you , its a big multible fine ,so many $$$ for each ofence , & so may $$$ for each day since it has been removed , if you can not prove when , then since the last time it was known to be there , they may use the built date .
Just a thought .
Old 02-20-2007, 12:10 AM

I posted this on page 1, and guess I'll keep posting it every few days...

"Cats on diesels in TX are NOT required...period."
Old 02-20-2007, 08:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
From the Texas Transportation Code:
§ 548.051. VEHICLES AND EQUIPMENT SUBJECT TO INSPECTION.

(a) A motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer, or mobile home, registered in this state, must have the following items inspected at an inspection station or by an inspector:

(1) tires;
(2) wheel assembly;
(3) safety guards or flaps, if required by Section 547.606;
(4) brake system, including power brake unit;
(5) steering system, including power steering;
(6) lighting equipment;
(7) horns and warning devices;
(8) mirrors;
(9) windshield wipers;
(10) sunscreening devices, unless the vehicle is exempt from sunscreen device restrictions under Section 547.613;
(11) front seat belts in vehicles on which seat belt anchorages were part of the manufacturer's original equipment;
(12) tax decal, if required by Section 548.104(d)(1);
(13) exhaust system;
(14) exhaust emission system;
(15) fuel tank cap, using pressurized testing equipment approved by department rule; and
(16) emissions control equipment as designated by department rule.

(b) A moped is subject to inspection in the same manner as a motorcycle, except that the only items of equipment required to be inspected are the brakes, headlamps, rear lamps, and reflectors, which must comply with the standards prescribed by Sections 547.408 and 547.801.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995. Amended by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 1189, § 29, eff. Sept. 1, 1999.
Rusty
Old 02-20-2007, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by RustyJC
From the Texas Transportation Code:

Rusty
Uh oh...we don't do #15 either!
Old 02-20-2007, 08:47 AM

http://texinfo.library.unt.edu/texas...5/0613emer.txt

blah...blah...blah...

(i) For the purposes of the Vehicle Idle Emissions Inspection and Maintenance
Program, the term "passenger car" shall have the meaning ascribed to it by Texas
Civil Statutes, Article 6701d, sec.2(j), except that motor vehicles powered by
diesel fuel or any fuel other than gasoline or gasohol are not included in the
meaning of passenger car, if their design precludes the use of gasoline or
gasohol without modification.

blah...blah...blah...

(j) For purposes of the Parameter Vehicle Emission Inspection and Maintenance
Program, the term "passenger car" shall have the meaning ascribed to it by Texas
Civil Statutes, Article 6701d, sec.2(j), except that motor vehicles powered by
diesel fuel or any fuel other than gasoline or gasohol are not included in the
meaning of the term "passenger car" if their design precludes the use of
gasoline or gasohol without modification.

blah...blah...blah...

(k) For purposes of the Parameter Vehicle Emission Inspection and Maintenance
Program, the term "light-duty truck" means a motor vehicle with a manufacturer's
gross weight of 8,500 pounds or less, which shall include but not be limited to,
pickup trucks, panel delivery trucks, and carry-all trucks, except that motor
vehicles powered by diesel fuel or any fuel other than gasoline or gasohol are
not included in the meaning of the term "light-duty truck" if their design
precludes the use of gasoline or gasohol without modification.

blah...blah...blah...

I'll post this again on page 5...

"Cats on diesels in TX are NOT required...period."

Old 02-20-2007, 08:51 AM

All that says is that diesels are not subject to the idle sniff, dyno emissions (non-attainment areas) or OBDII testing that gassers are. It says nothing about visual inspection of the exhaust system, including exhaust emissions devices per § 548.051.

The inspection section I quoted is all inclusive - trailers don't have windshield wipers either, but they're specifically included in the vehicles covered by that section.

Rusty
Old 02-20-2007, 10:00 AM

(violation of federal law for tampering with or removing an emission control device.Remove at your own risk!) I have yet to see this writen anywhere for 2006 and older diesel powered trucks, I have only seen 2 states req. cats on diesel trucks Cal and the other one is some were up on the east coast. The federal law comes in effect for 07 and newer trucks only.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by TE-44
(violation of federal law for tampering with or removing an emission control device.Remove at your own risk!) I have yet to see this writen anywhere for 2006 and older diesel powered trucks, I have only seen 2 states req. cats on diesel trucks Cal and the other one is some were up on the east coast. The federal law comes in effect for 07 and newer trucks only.
Please refer to the following - TCEQ - Tampering.

Rusty
Old 02-20-2007, 11:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with Rusty. Removing the catalyst is tampering according to the EPA.

In Texas, diesel's are currently exempt from tailpipe emission testing.

Don't worry, almost certainly Texas will get diesel emission testing. They are already going ahead with outlawing biodiesel.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:52 AM

These rules only apply to gas powered vehicles not diesel powered. There is no federal requirement for a diesel powered vehicle 06 and older to have a cat, it is only a requirement on a state by state bases. Texas has no requirement period. Federal law only comes into play on any diesel powered vehicle model year 07 and newer. The only reason Dodge installed a cat is do the fact of not having to have 2 sets of exhaust systems and all truck could be sent to all 50 states which only 2 of them by their state laws even required a cat to be installed in the first place
Old 02-20-2007, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Lark
Cats on diesels in TX are NOT required...period.
Even if they came from the factory with one??

are you sure?
Old 02-20-2007, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by TE-44
These rules only apply to gas powered vehicles not diesel powered.
From the cited website:
Tampering is removing or making inoperable any system or device used to control emissions from a motor vehicle engine. The motor vehicle is defined as any self-propelled vehicle designed for transporting persons or property on a street or highway.
So, how does that exclude a diesel? The summarized version of these rules is - if it came with a catalyst, you can't remove it.

Rusty
Old 02-20-2007, 12:04 PM

The Cat has no purpose on the older Dodges anyway,but to keep black smoke, soot levels down. If it was that important on the older trucks why is not monitered by sensors like on the new 07. To me if it has no sensors it has no purpose on the truck. KILL the CAT.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by bdewey
The Cat has no purpose on the older Dodges anyway,but to keep black smoke, soot levels down.

Rusty
Old 02-20-2007, 12:23 PM

Rusty,
For someone who is so concerned about the emission law why is it that your very on truck is illegal per the web site you have been quoting.

Installing a replacement part that is not the same in design and function as the part that was originally on the vehicle. Add-on power programmer your EZ

Adding a part that was not originally certified on the car, such as installing a turbocharger. Larger Injectors

Plus if I am correct the fine for anyone that removes said equipment faces up to a $10,000 fine so why is it that a local muffler shop installed my 5inch turbo back system for $125 if they could face such a fine and their answer was there is No Federal nor a State requirement for it to be installed. This again is why a Diesel Trucks 06 and older only have to comply with a safety inspection not an emission test. The only Diesel Trucks that are required to pass an emission test will be 07's and newer.

Quick Reply: Texas Emissions Testing?