3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Texas Emissions Testing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Texas Emissions Testing?

I read on the tx dps website that diesel vehicles are exempt from the emissions testing, even in Harris and Montgomery counties. So why are the muffler shops saying it will not pass if the cat is removed? or the muffler for that reason. I understand that by modifying the exhaust and removing certain components, but they do not look for them, no where in the annual vehicle inspection process of a diesel powered vehicle are they required to visually inspect the exhaust system. Some help please. Plus, has anyone in Montgomery county (TX) had their truck inspected recently that has either a strait pipe, or no kitty? Tkanks yall, I am just trying to save myself alot of $$ and frustration later on, ya know.

Last edited by PurNLoud; 02-18-2007 at 04:31 PM. Reason: add without bumping
Old 02-18-2007, 06:14 PM

in midland county, i was asked if it came with a cat....i replied no but apparently if it came with it, then it needs it. not sure about where you are located, but no muffler is required in midland
Old 02-18-2007, 07:08 PM

I'd like to hear a little more about this subject also, I've removed the cat and was wondering how inspection was going to go, I'm in dallas county and there hard on emissions. I'm also curious about OEM warranty.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:17 PM

for OEM, went to my dealer for ECM reflash a year ago and they put a red flag on my VIN because i removed the cat.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:21 PM

You still have to pass a visual inspection in Texas. Whether or not the inspector is smart enough to know what trucks came with cats, or is going to believe you when you say it didn't is another story. It all depends on the inspector. I've had some who never even look under the truck, and i've had one who insisted that my '02 came from the factory with a cat until after argueing for 10 min, a stone stock '02 pulled in beside me and low and behold it didn't have a cat either.
As for warranty work, you can bet DC knows which ones are supposed to have a cat or not. Not having it when you're supposed to will definately void the warranty on the exhaust, no big deal. Some over zealous service guy may try to link the absence of a cat to some kind of engine damage I suppose. I've never had any experience with warranty and cats.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:22 PM

please tell me that doesn't mean voided warranty
Old 02-18-2007, 07:25 PM

Went to get my muffler delete done yesterday and the guy said he would do it but I had to sign a waiver before he would do it. He said that the way the law read was a turbo on a diesel was considered a muffler but now they are changing it to read if it came from the factory with a muffler it has to have a muffler on it. He said if I took it off then I could not get my truck inspected until I put a muffler back on it.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by preloader
please tell me that doesn't mean voided warranty
They can't void your entire warranty for removing the cat. They will try to blame the removal of the cat on whatever they think they can. Example: They can't deny warranty work on your transmission just because your cat is gone.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:42 PM

they just voided exhaust, which inlcuded my turbo but i really dont care, not a stock part on it now.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:45 PM

Thanks yall, I'm still waiting for someone here to chime in, but so tech. speaking, if I gut the cat and put it back on, visual inspection would not reveal anything. The reason I said it says nothing in the annual is the place I have always taken my truck to said it said nothing, but now I live in a new county. I guess I just don't want to make a costly mistake just for the sake of sound! Again, thanks yall. Anyone in the county please feel free to chime in
Old 02-18-2007, 07:48 PM

Yep. If I had a cat and I just couldn't stand it, I'd definately gut it and put it back on. Seems like it would save alot of unnecessary costs and headaches in the future.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:01 PM

Cats on diesels in TX are NOT required...period.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:06 PM

What emissions testing?

I havent had any inspection guys look twice at either of my diesels, they just do my safety only check and I go about my way
Old 02-18-2007, 08:10 PM

Diesel inspections in TX are safety only.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:10 PM

In Texas our trucks only require a safety inspection...period. Lights, horn, brakes...etc..Regardless of your county!

Now...if you own an 07 going forward..you will be required to pass and emissions inspection.

Quick Reply: Texas Emissions Testing?