3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Talk me out of trading my truck for a Charger SRT-8

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel is about 10cents a litre less here, and also I get about 10 mpg more than a gas engine,.. hmmm. Easy decision,, would never own a gas engine truck again

kevin
Old 12-21-2006, 02:49 PM

Get married and "let" your Wife buy the Challanger. That way you can have both.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:51 PM

im in the same boat, viking! i am considering the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8. Only problem is the jeep doesnt have a bed, and the SRT-10 is 2wd. i need 4x4/AWD with a bed and my diesel is out the door!

Also, M3? Fast? I DUST my friends M3 with the Dinan S0 package by about 4 tenths in the quarter
Old 12-21-2006, 04:10 PM
Banned

Im glad you decided againt it.

The charger/300 have a serious traction problem and that why I really like the grand cherokee srt-8 AWD. The GC runs the quickest 1/4 ET of all the stock srt-8 because they can go WOT right off the line. The reason it feeles lazy in the low end is because of the torque managment and computer programming that DC puts into the 6.1L to avoid soccer mom from instantly smoking the rear tires. Its alot like what they do to our diesels. The new generation of engines like hemi's and GM LSX engines have alot of avaiable HP in the programming since you can change so many parameters.

I have done some poking around on srt forums and learned that DC was testing some srt8 cherokkes at the track before production for computer tunng and they were running consistant mid-high 12's in the 1/4 and I believe it since there slow in the low end and its not a good thing to have a 12 sec soccer mom in a jeep.

getting back to charger vs cherokee...while the cherokee is quicker in the 1/4 due to is awd traction the charger/300 will catch it and pass it if rolling at 20 and on the freeway.

I think the 6.1L is an awesome engine but it really needs a efi live since nobody has been able to crack DC's codes and get into the computer and once that happens it will be off the chain. I would really like to see my GF in a GC srt8 since we need awd and also looked into the LS2 equept trail blazer ss but the Jeep is better in every aspect in build quality 5 speed auto oh and it way faster stock.

If you dont like the idea of spending close to 40K on a charger and cant live with the tranny and still want a 4 door sports car then yeah look into a CTS-V bacause the LS2 is also an awesome and has alot more avaiable mods. I really like the look of the 300's over the more boyish and less styleish charger. I believe the 300 has classic styling that will out last the looks of the charger. I wish DC would wake up and realize the fact that people love awd and its the way to go, hece the evo's and sti popularity.

You may also want to wait for the new Camaro or better yet get a z06 vette.

Oh and BTW the vette the new vette uses a 405HP 6.0L LS2 and the ZO6 uses a 7.0 LS7 505hp.

I say get a twin turbo ls2 cts-v if your gonna sell your CTD
Old 12-21-2006, 04:29 PM

Goose2....Since we are on a truck forum. We are going to here keep the truck. I owned a 06 dodge cummins and traded it for a 07 chevy avalanche and have never looked back. I was sick and tired of the good old bush boys ripping us diesel boys off with the cost of fuel and all the other things like ulsd, not to mention the added things the diesel manufactures had to do to there engines to meet 07 reggs. The cost of the new trucks are going to sky rocket. The diesel truck thing has its place. If your going to tow allot with it. You need it. But if you are going to just drive it with nothing hooked to 90% of the time. It aint worth it, PERIOD. The day I traded mine in and handed the dealer my keys. Was one of the best days I have had in a while. It sure is nice to pay 50 cents less a gallon when filling up. Not to mention the decrease in price to keep it serviced. Good luck in your decision.
80/20 City/Hwy Dodge 4X4 V10 gets 10.5 mpg, 2500 Hemi gets 12-13mpg, f150 supercrew 12-15mpg, chebby's 1500 13-15 mpg.......my '06 CTD 16-18mpg. I don't tow a lot but when I do I like the power and mileage. In my experience, even with a light load (under 5000lbs) all of the gasser's mileage goes waaaaaaaaaay south and the CTD doesn't drop much.

IMO you can't even come close to comparing an Avalanche to a diesel. You are talking about a car...wait a truck....wait a SUV.... welll what is it????

The bush boys have as much control over the price of diesel as they do over the snow storm in Colorado. This is not a political forum so leave that alone.

Maintenance is not a big issue, most of us like to do it ouselves which saves money, It comes down to you either like real, big, powerful, last forever trucks or you like toy, small, low end, drive for a few years before tradin in for a golfcart truck.

just my .02
Old 12-21-2006, 05:00 PM
Banned

The Avalanche is an SUV and is based completly off the SUV platform hence it was released when the new 07 Chevy SUV's came out and not later when the pickups were released.

Go away because we dont need your Avalanche input on how its better then a CTD
Old 12-21-2006, 05:13 PM

Go away because we dont need your Avalanche input on how its better then a CTD

nicely put.