3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Talk me out of trading my truck for a Charger SRT-8

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 12:01 PM
DTR's "Secret Agent"

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a long time ago i asked you why you got rid of your cobra for the truck. I once had an 95gt 99cobra and an 03cobra but now i have a 05cummins. You told me you could do so much more with a truck than a car and you was happy you got the truck. Just remember if you get this car you will be in the same boat as you was with the cobra. Dont do it.
At least one time a week i find myself on www.svtperformance.com looking at cobras and i tell myself no way. Dont get me wrong the charger is very nice but you dont need it lol

Shaun
Old 12-19-2006, 12:02 PM

Viking, that guy is fulll of it. Plain and simple. Go to a major Mopar race or any dragstirp and see for yourself. The dealership up the road has a couple that the owner and his wife race and they have mods and don't run anywhere near that. It's funny that most of the other times listed with that video show guys running low 13's. This guy must have got the fastest stock one made. Those cars will no way run 12.50's stock.

anyway, goodluck
Old 12-19-2006, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by RonP
Viking, that guy is fulll of it. Plain and simple. Go to a major Mopar race or any dragstirp and see for yourself. The dealership up the road has a couple that the owner and his wife race and they have mods and don't run anywhere near that. It's funny that most of the other times listed with that video show guys running low 13's. This guy must have got the fastest stock one made. Those cars will no way run 12.50's stock.

anyway, goodluck
The other one I saw ran a 12.45 @ 116 w/ just Intake, Exhaust and chip:

http://www.dragtimes.com/Dodge-Charg...slip-9469.html

Old 12-19-2006, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by RAT_03
a long time ago i asked you why you got rid of your cobra for the truck. I once had an 95gt 99cobra and an 03cobra but now i have a 05cummins. You told me you could do so much more with a truck than a car and you was happy you got the truck. Just remember if you get this car you will be in the same boat as you was with the cobra. Dont do it.
At least one time a week i find myself on www.svtperformance.com looking at cobras and i tell myself no way. Dont get me wrong the charger is very nice but you dont need it lol

Shaun
lol....im still at that website!! But Cobra I definetly wouldnt do again even though my GF misses it and loved it soo much. But the Cobra was just insane, the Charger would be alot more civiliazed tho if you know what I mean. I mean, my Cobra was a Pain in the A$$ just to drive it alone, a 10sec car isnt a good grocery car or "lets runs errands" car. The charger is fast and will beat 95% of the cars on the road but I can still take long road trips with it, be comfortable, seat 4-5 people.....etc
Old 12-19-2006, 12:10 PM

Ok, like I said good luck. I hate seeing people get disappointed. read some of the comments on those sites you posted. Even other srt8 owners are calling bull. I am not basing my info on guys that are feeding crap on websites. I am basing it off numerous trips to the dragstrip. I am not going to comment on it anymore, just do your homeowrk before you get one and expect way too much out of it. Those cars running 12's are not stock. Period.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:11 PM

Ok, like I said good luck. I hate seeing people get disappointed. read some of the comments on those sites you posted. Even other srt8 owners are calling bull. I am not basing my info on guys that are feeding crap on websites. I am basing it off numerous trips to the dragstrip. I am not going to comment on it anymore, just do your homeowrk before you get one and expect way too much out of it. Those cars running 12's are not stock. Period.
Thanks for the feedback, but hey even to run a 12.4 with just a home made intake, exhaust and a chip is still impressive IMO.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:23 PM

Dude, it's a car

'nuff said

Granted, it is a nice car that would be a lot of fun but,,,,,12's yah right. A stock suzuki 'Busa only runs mid high 11's low 12's stock that I have seen.

Again, it is a car and you have a truck that can go close to that fast friday night and haul the farm the next and go 4wheelin, hunting, camping, fishing, home depot, quads, bikes, and haul the charger in the back of a long bed

Keep the truck, IMHO

good luck either way
Old 12-19-2006, 12:46 PM
Banned

Stop don't don't do it. LOL I tried to stop you!!
Old 12-19-2006, 12:52 PM

yes, alot of good points here, but one thing about the performance. I spend numerous weekends at the track with my drag car and I am telling ya, 95% of the srt8's I have seen are running 13.0's to 13.teen's. Still pretty darn good but if you are expecting 12's right off the bat, you might be a little disappointed. The 2 I have seen running 12.90's had already made some intake and exhaust mods and they were running very high 12.90's.

They are sweet though. good luck in you decision.
What about the 97 12 valve that runs 11.7's? Had to throw that in there for John_P... Oh and your 440 will eat a Hemi!!! You know that though...
Old 12-19-2006, 01:01 PM

The new Challenger is still a ways off, it won't be out until the 2008 model year.

You'll like the Charger SRT-8. The thing that holds them back from the factory is the traction control, you can pull a fuse and drop 3-4 tenths apparently. Right off the showroom floor you'll only get a mid-low 13 out of them. Pull the fuse and you're knocking on 12s. And the new Hemi's love nitrous, mine has put up with a 150 shot easily. I ran that 12 with just a 75/100 hybrid shot.

IMO I'd take a Grand Cherokee SRT-8 ten times over before the Charger because it has more potential with the AWD and it can still tow and do other things. I've test driven all of the SRT-8's and its by far my favorite, it even took my cousin's 2005 SRT-10 RCSB 2x4 in an unofficial race. They are also a GREAT price for what you get, I'd throw a GSM supercharger on to boot. But that's just me.
Attached Thumbnails Talk me out of trading my truck for a Charger SRT-8-srt8-jeep.jpg  
Old 12-19-2006, 01:02 PM

Can you tow your trailer or boat with the Charger? Keep the truck hands down!!! Just convince your wife to buy a Charger and just borrow it way too often. It's so much fun whooping a "Fast Car" with a 6000LBS monster out there... At least you have very good taste in cars...
Old 12-19-2006, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by supercharged_hp
The new Challenger is still a ways off, it won't be out until the 2008 model year.

You'll like the Charger SRT-8. The thing that holds them back from the factory is the traction control, you can pull a fuse and drop 3-4 tenths apparently. Right off the showroom floor you'll only get a mid-low 13 out of them. Pull the fuse and you're knocking on 12s. And the new Hemi's love nitrous, mine has put up with a 150 shot easily. I ran that 12 with just a 75/100 hybrid shot.

IMO I'd take a Grand Cherokee SRT-8 ten times over before the Charger because it has more potential with the AWD and it can still tow and do other things. I've test driven all of the SRT-8's and its by far my favorite, it even took my cousin's 2005 SRT-10 RCSB 2x4 in an unofficial race. They are also a GREAT price for what you get, I'd throw a GSM supercharger on to boot. But that's just me.
You are running a 12 FLAT with just a 75shot on your JEEP?
Old 12-19-2006, 01:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think he is talking about his truck. his sig has a 1500 w/ hemi and nitrous listed.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh yeah, dont be an idiot, keep the truck
Old 12-19-2006, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by cquestad
Can't tailgate with a Charger?

or Hunt,
4 Wheel,
Haul,
Tow,
Comfortable fit a bunch of people and gear...

PLus...your truck COULD be faster than one too! ;-)
so true. After my 03' got totaled insted of getting another truck I got a new 04' GTO Which was a great car and I liked it alot (fast too), but just could'nt live without a truck. So 6mo later I traded it for another CTD. Both would be nice but the truck is so much more usefull.

Quick Reply: Talk me out of trading my truck for a Charger SRT-8