3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

TAG Stage 2 Added to a AFE Torque Tube

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 05:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TAG Stage 2 Added to a AFE Torque Tube

I am looking into buying a stage 2 TAG for my AFE Torque tube. Has anyone done this yet with either 1 or 2 TAG Applications? I would like to know if it is worth the money?
Old 06-10-2004, 08:29 AM

I can't see how that thing could do anything! The turbo rotor is intaking the air and then compressing it. So how and "straightening" the air pre turbo do anything?
Old 06-10-2004, 12:14 PM

Looking at the diagrams they show the air circulating around in the turbo with the fins. With the honey comb effect it straitens the air flow to hit the fins head on to spool up faster. I am just askling cause every little bit helps when it comes to fuek cost and keeping the performance up. I like to smoke the little ricers running around town. Its amazing when they see this big ol dodge smike the duals at a stop light and and beat them off the line.

Donnie
Old 06-11-2004, 05:01 PM
Banned

Believe it or not, but everyone I know with a TAG says they have noticed some kind of benefit. Whether it be quicker spool up, more power towing up hills, slightly better mileage. They've all experienced some kind of gain with it.
Old 06-12-2004, 12:38 AM

Yea this is what I am getting from all the post I have read on these things. I am all for a little extra power and lower EGT. I wanna wait to see if they go down in price though.

Thanks Big Blue

Montgomery TX Cowboy/Marine
Old 06-14-2004, 01:27 AM

Location: Eagle, Idaho. Please set your watch back 20 years when entering.
I have measured EGTs, MPG, and boost, before and after the TAG install, over a measured course. I have noticed no significant changes, other than a reduction in boost, that I can MEASURE. My turbo may or may not be spooling up quicker, I don't know how to measure that.

Others have said that they have measured a small (less than 10) horsepower increase on the dyno.

Having said all that, it's still installed in my truck.

(Notice I like the "M" word a lot!! )

100 Proof
Old 06-16-2004, 02:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can measure quicker spool up on a dyno; with & without TAG.
On my 02 the hp curve and torque curve come in (read higher) at a lower rpm than without. After about 2600 rpm, the Hp and the torque lines, with and without, overlap.
Also get lower boost # at a given speed with TAG than without. This tells me engine is more efficient with TAG.

Rowland
Old 06-16-2004, 03:48 PM

I've ran a TAG in my stock HX35 and then ran a TAG in my PDR HX40 and now I am running a TAG-II in my PDR HX40. I've noticed gains from each of these units, most notably, the TAG-II that I am currently running.

The benefits include quicker spoolup, less smoke, quicker cool-down times, higher MPG's, lower EGT's, and a quieter turbo. By "straightening" the turbulent incoming air, the turbo is more effiecient, hence the lower boost #'s. This is also the reason for reduced turbo "whine" and a quieter turbo.

I realize that everyone's impression or experience will be different due to the huge array of differences (BOMBs) in everyone's trucks. The above are my personal experiences with the TAG and TAG-II units.

Ballistic, I am not sure about a TAG-II for the 3rd gen trucks, give Dave Meheen a call at Diesel Power Products and ask him about it.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:41 AM

TAG-I and TAG-II

The TAG-I is currently available for 3rd Gen. trucks and we are proto-typing some TAG-II configurations currently. The problem with the TAG-II on the 3rd Gen. trucks is simply space. The hose on the turbo inlet turns very quickly to clear the oil filter which is a detriment and does not leave much space for a TAG-II. We are working on it and do hope to offer a TAG-II very soon.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:21 AM

Is there a DTR discount on a TAG?
Old 06-18-2004, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by cquestad
Is there a DTR discount on a TAG?
We honor the same discount to DTR members as TDR members and sponsor both sites.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:38 PM

Wow you should combine the TAG with a Tornado, that would be the ticket.

All I can say is these guys are very good salemen, I'm impressed. Much like Schlumberger trying to sell plug flow in the '90s cause they didn't have the horsepower to compete, I feel like this is a case of good advertisement.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:54 PM
Banned

RAMV, you should talk to the people who have installed the TAG on their trucks and then taken it off. They say that it's a noticeable difference. Or if you want someone who, IMO, is very qualified in the realm of R&D for our trucks, talk to Scotty (he created the Scotty Air units). He put one on his and noticed a difference. I'm not talking significant differences, but just slight improvements.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:26 PM

I am going to get the stage one for now. I think this will help with lower EGT's and thats the important thing. 150 bucks ann't all that bad.
Old 07-24-2004, 05:42 AM
abb

I put the tag 1 in my trk can't say it does anything for the perfomance end but it sure made the turbo whine a lot less it was making the ole noggan hurt, better now