3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

TAG opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TAG opinions

Couple questions concerning Turbo Air Guide (TAG).

I have been told that you should buy the TAG that is meant four your truck. (ie - for my 05 they suggest the TAGIII) How much of a difference is there? Is the TAGIII the only one that will fit the 05?

Should the silencer ring be left in with the TAG? I have heard that the laminar air flow is actually better with the silencer ring and the TAG.

Should a BHAF be added with the TAG? Or are these unrelated items? Will the combination of a BHAF and the TAG make a difference on EGT, MPG?

Finally...for some one who is more concerned with longevity and fuel economy than performance upgrade is the TAG worth the $$? My understanding is that the laminar flow will increase turbo life and add MPG. (Yes I would enjoy quicker spool ups and hp gain but I think for the $ there are probably quicker ways to increase hp.)
Old 04-10-2005, 05:36 AM
abb

Well friend I bought one for my 03 and put it behind a MAC cold air pack.The main reason was to silance the whistle on the turbo which it helped a lot, no milage increase. Then bought the 05 and put the same equipment on it and no mpg increase but I really don't know how I could stand the whistle with out it.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Save your money.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:19 AM

You have two choices for TAGs in the 05 trucks. The original TAG which is the honeycomb mounted ia SS support flange or the TAG-III which moves the honeycomb a little further away from the compressor and incorporates a funnel to direct the air to the compressor wheel. Either TAG will work in the 05 trucks witht he silencer ring in place or removed. We generally recommend the silencer ring be left in the turbo.

With the use of aftermarket air intakes which flow more air than the stock air boxes and aftermarket intake tubes sucha s the Cool Hose or Torque Tube the TAGs really help to keep the noise down and get air into the turbo efficeintly. As for mileage increases, they are generally small when the truck is empty and more noticeable when towing.

The TAG is a device to provide a smooth more efficeint delivery of air to the turbo and tests show that the amount of air into the engine is increased by up to 9% using the TAG-III on a third generation Dodge Cummins. You can see more information on this here http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/tag
Old 04-10-2005, 11:30 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Car_nut57

The TAG is a device to provide a smooth more efficeint delivery of air to the turbo and tests show that the amount of air into the engine is increased by up to 9% using the TAG-III on a third generation Dodge Cummins. You can see more information on this here http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/tag
I just can't figure out how this can be so. It's counterintuitive because you have more crap in the airway which HAS to reduce volume. I'm no fluid dynamics engineer or anything, but the basic physics that I do know tells me that if you put more things in the pathway, not as much can get through. Now, I also know that you can get the same amount through by increasing the speed of the flow, but that doesn't increase the amount of air getting into the engine, just the velocity at which it hits the compressor unit. I would think the only way you can increase the VOLUME of air getting to the engine is to increase the overall size of the intake pathway.

I just don't get it, but I'm pretty skeptical.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:53 AM

I cannot tell you exactly how each truck will react using a TAG as they are all a littl different in the way they are equipped and the way people drive and it is good to be skeptical. We have done what we can to explain how the TAG works and what it does, but there is nothing like experiencing it for yourself. That is why we make no claims or promises, except if you try a TAG and don't like what it does for your truck, you have 30 days to return it for a refund.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:15 PM

There have been other threads on this subject, do a search and then save your money, unless you just want less whistling
Old 02-01-2008, 03:07 AM

Someone here told me that the TAGIII will make more noise?
I want more noise, WHAT DO I NEED TO DO
Old 02-01-2008, 07:31 AM

Tag

The theory behind the TAG seems sound as laminar flow is better than turbulent flow into the intake of the turbo. I originally had a TAG for an '03 then upgraded to an early release of the TAG III. I cannot really say the mileage increased or there was more power with either TAG or the TAG III but it did quiet down the turbo whistle. Is the reduction in turbo whistle an indication of more efficient air handling of the turbocharger???

Having mentioned the above I don't race or sled pull however I do tow moderately heavy. I usually operate in the 1800 - 2200 RPM range which is where the engine was designed to work. The biggest advantage is probably up in the higher RPM ranges maybe 3500+ rpm but that requires other modifications to the engine. At this level you are probably into the serious racing where or sled pulling where 0.02 second of time is the difference between winning and losing and the Turbo Air Guide may help you achieve that goal. I would proabaly not purchase another one if I had the opportunity in the future.

L8r,.........dogger
Old 02-01-2008, 11:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To the OP - why would you want another TAG besides the OEM unit in the 90* rubber elbow clamped to the compressor inlet? Those white plastic curved vanes smooth and guide the airflow around the bend to avoid turbulence and improve laminar flow.

As far as noise goes, the fewer obstructions between the compressor and your ear - the louder the whistle!

For instance: