3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Synthetic - Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kantdrive55
We like seeing the synthetic oils run in our turbos. It has a much higher resistance to "thermal breakdown" than conventional oil. It is also much better at cleaning out the system. Take a high mile motor with a small oil leak running conventional oil. If you switch it to synthetic you should see the oil start to pour out of it. It cleans up the sludge and stuff so how can it not clean out the carbon?????
A properly maintained diesel with conventional diesel rated oil will have no more build up than one that was run with synthetic oil.

As far as seals and such leaking with synthetic after switching over; I would attribute that to a poorly maintained vehicle with existing leaks being exposed even further with a thinner oil.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:51 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
A properly maintained diesel with conventional diesel rated oil will have no more build up than one that was run with synthetic oil.

As far as seals and such leaking with synthetic after switching over; I would attribute that to a poorly maintained vehicle with existing leaks being exposed even further with a thinner oil.
What I was pointing out is synthetics have a higher detergent factor than a conventional oil (I used to work for Castrol) I am not disagreeing on the fact that it is a poorly maintained engine, just pointing out that synthetic will clean out more than conventional.

Now pressure is not what a turbo needs, volume of oil. Pressure is a measure of restriction. I could have a tiny feed line to a turbo with 100psi of oil pressure going to it, but the size restricts the volume of oil getting into the turbo. So even at 100psi it wont have enough oil getting in there.

There are definite benefits to synthetic and there are some drawbacks. I personally run conventional oil and stay on top of the maintenance as far as changing it regularly. I have a VW Jetta with a 1.9idi motor that has 200hp and it has worked fine for me.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by kantdrive55
What I was pointing out is synthetics have a higher detergent factor than a conventional oil (I used to work for Castrol) I am not disagreeing on the fact that it is a poorly maintained engine, just pointing out that synthetic will clean out more than conventional.

Now pressure is not what a turbo needs, volume of oil. Pressure is a measure of restriction. I could have a tiny feed line to a turbo with 100psi of oil pressure going to it, but the size restricts the volume of oil getting into the turbo. So even at 100psi it wont have enough oil getting in there.

There are definite benefits to synthetic and there are some drawbacks. I personally run conventional oil and stay on top of the maintenance as far as changing it regularly. I have a VW Jetta with a 1.9idi motor that has 200hp and it has worked fine for me.
Got to love those Jetta's.
Wife drives a 1.8t and I run Rotella synthetic in it for the cleaning benefits of the high detergent and additive package that Diesel rated oil contains.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:10 PM
DTR Advertiser

Got to love those Jetta's.
Wife drives a 1.8t and I run Rotella synthetic in it for the cleaning benefits of the high detergent and additive package that Diesel rated oil contains.
I love my 1.9. Big hp considering it only came with 70hp to start and I can still get 800km on a tank of fuel. It has a full suspension kit. Next is the Audi S4 big brake kit. Pretty funny as I have suprised the odd mustang around here.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:21 PM

Pat,
I forgot to mention:
Thanks for coming down to the S&R pull in Franklin several weeks ago. It's nice to see the vendors out and about! Especially pulling wise.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:36 PM

Next time you drain it, drain it hot. If it's alarmingly thin then switch back to dino oil.

Even when I drain say Rotella 15w40 when it's hot I can tell it is still plenty thick and that is reassuring.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention fuel dilution of the oil from over fueling makes things even worse for any oil. But if the synthetic is already thin.....watch out!

LOL viscocity is broken down by heat and sheer! Synthetics were made to be a consistant viscocity in extreme conditions. Just because your cold dino goes in thicker pre heat cycle and synthetic comes out the way it went in do to superior sheer and heat resistance does not make it thinner!

But hey its your opinion and your free to have it.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by RunninLean
LOL viscocity is broken down by heat and sheer! Synthetics were made to be a consistant viscocity in extreme conditions. Just because your cold dino goes in thicker pre heat cycle and synthetic comes out the way it went in do to superior sheer and heat resistance does not make it thinner!

But hey its your opinion and your free to have it.
I said the dino came out thicker than the synthetic when hot. My opinions are backed up by first hand experiences.

The synthetic actually goes in quite thick at room temperature.

On a side note, laugh all you want. I am just trying to help out. I agree synthetic lubricants on paper appear to be superior to dino oil in every way.

I just think there are some associations with some of the failures I have seen from people running synthetic oil's that were too thin for their purpose.

Maybe instead of poking fun you can share your turbo failure experiences, helpful hints or something to that extent to help this guy out a bit.

I run synthetic in my transmission and wife's car. But the modified diesel always gets good ole' thick dino oil.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:16 PM

Well I prefer to base my opinions on results and tests rather than well it looks like.

Compare tested oil samples it gives you viscocity results.

rock looks to be stronger then water but that doesnt make it so.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:27 PM

$ .02 from MY OWN EXPERIENCES

I have seen nothing but trouble out of synthetic oils. F.W.I.W. My experience has primarily been with air cooled engines, in these applications heat dispersement is EXTREMELY important and that is why I made the switch.

I agree that synthetics will absolutely NOT hold their viscosity when hot. Indeed they are the consistancy of water or less.

Interestingly enough water will lubercate the internals of an engine.............the question that remains is for how long?????? Yes the synthetics are more slippery but when they lose viscosity they also lose their lubrication and "coating" properties.

Synthetics cost more to purchase and now we are seeing long term damage in applications that have rarely had problems with conventional oils.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:47 PM

I said the dino came out thicker than the synthetic when hot. My opinions are backed up by first hand experiences.

Exactly how scientific can your findings be based on the way the oil looks when you drain it?

You do realize that even in the same viscosity,not all oils are the same thickness. If you look at 10 different 15w-40 oils you'll likely find that none of them are the same as far as actual viscosity.

Every oil has a "range" of thickness it can be and still be listed as a 20,30,40,etc. You can have thin 40 weights or thick 40 weights.

If you take two oils at the opposing ends of the viscosity range,you'll likely think one pours like water while the other doesn't.

It doesn't mean that one is lubricating any better or worse than the other.

If you have an engine in sound working condition (no obvious fuel dilution,sludged up,etc) there is no way you'll be able to tell the condition of non-abused oil by looking at it,rubbing it between your fingers,etc.

A used oil analysis is the ONLY way to be certain of how the oil is working in your engine.

Then again,this is the internet,where anything is possible.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:52 PM

Well my experience is with Marine applications. I have 4 vessel with diesel engines ranging from Detroit’s, CAT's and Cummins with HP ranges from 250hp to 2500hp. We run full synthetics in all of our engines for the last 18 months. Our maintenance costs have been reduced by 35%. This engines run generators and directional positioning thrusters that run between 75 and 95% 24/7 for 70% utilization in a year’s time. I will say that most of my synthetic experience is with Royal Purple.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by RunninLean
Well my experience is with Marine applications. I have 4 vessel with diesel engines ranging from Detroit’s, CAT's and Cummins with HP ranges from 250hp to 2500hp. We run full synthetics in all of our engines for the last 18 months. Our maintenance costs have been reduced by 35%. This engines run generators and directional positioning thrusters that run between 75 and 95% 24/7 for 70% utilization in a year’s time. I will say that most of my synthetic experience is with Royal Purple.
That says enough for me! I run a FULL synthetic, not mixed, in my truck with amsoil's dual-bypass... so far so good.. plan on changing oil and filter every 10k or 1yr now that the Jetta sees most of my commuting miles.. Oh it runs a full synthetic as well...
Old 06-13-2008, 04:44 PM
Banned

READ THIS!!!! Guys, there was just a misunderstanding on my part. I am Brians brother & I am the guy who was talking with HTT. I somehow misunderstood the man. The guy said that warranty could be voided if the failure was on our part, like a kinked oil line, using dirty oil, wrong oil, overheating, overboosting, debris etc. We cleared it up today & synthetic oil is fine to use in a turbocharger. Very bad misunderstanding by me. Sorry.

I also wanted to say that HTT is a great company & I will post the results after we send the turbo back to be checked. I feel like a Donkey!!!!
Old 06-13-2008, 05:05 PM

GEEZ J,

Right in the heat of an arguement you have to jump in and kill the BUZZ!!!!!!!!!!

Good to clear up the misunderstanding between you and HTT.

here's to ya'
Old 06-13-2008, 05:17 PM
DTR Advertiser

Glad to hear it worked out for you. Found it pretty hard to believe they would void a warranty over synthetic.

Quick Reply: Synthetic - Turbo