3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Symptoms of a blown head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 07:31 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by homewrecker
John should have the pump by now.I couldn't turn the shaft by hand.I'm not following the reason for disconnecting one injector at a time.The idle is fine.What exactly am I gonna be looking for to happen and what direction will this point me in.
If you didn't find anything wrong with them then I am definitely doing something wrong because the lopey idle and white smoke problem is gone

OK, now that I finally got a good nights sleep I do recall that one of the injectors you sent me the second time was stuck. You marked it and that was the one that tested bad. After we cleaned it out, it was great.

In the last two days we have found all kinds of metal particles inside injectors. I found a piece of wire. My employee found a piece of what looked like CP3 plunger in one yesterday. Two days ago I found a piece of plunger in a nozzle. There was one injector that would run great on the test bench for a complete cycle of say 10 minutes of constantly running, then out of nowhere would start acting up. That guy drove the truck for several hundred miles and then it would act up. He would shut the truck off and then it would run great again. That injector had a tiny little piece of metal inside it that would not cover an orifice except under certain conditions, but when it did, the truck would run terrible.

Oh, I almost forgot, we found a piece of the rail in one yesterday. The rail had been modified by someone and chunks are breaking off the thing internally.

This was just Monday thru yesterday this week.

Your smooth idle tells me everything is OK with the injectors, but it could still be one. Thats why I wanted you to rev the truck with one injector disconnected at a time and see if that tells you anything.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don, I just bought a set of used Flux 3's for my '03. I was wanting to know how much you charged to test them. They have around 40K miles on them and they were working good when the guy took them out. I was just wanting to make sure before I put them in my truck. Thanks
Old 04-03-2008, 08:37 AM
DTR Advertiser

Thats a good idea. As injectors sit around with diesel fuel in them, they tend to begin sticking.

We can run them on the test bench, get the flow numbers and check the general health of them.

The test bench can also flush out any gunk, dust, dirt, whatever that may be in there.

Shipping plus labor is around a C note. Contact a dealer and get em coming. I can provide you with all flow test data as well.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:21 AM

Thanks Don, I will call Tim or Lloyd and get them coming your way.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Don M
OK, now that I finally got a good nights sleep I do recall that one of the injectors you sent me the second time was stuck. You marked it and that was the one that tested bad. After we cleaned it out, it was great.

In the last two days we have found all kinds of metal particles inside injectors. I found a piece of wire. My employee found a piece of what looked like CP3 plunger in one yesterday. Two days ago I found a piece of plunger in a nozzle. There was one injector that would run great on the test bench for a complete cycle of say 10 minutes of constantly running, then out of nowhere would start acting up. That guy drove the truck for several hundred miles and then it would act up. He would shut the truck off and then it would run great again. That injector had a tiny little piece of metal inside it that would not cover an orifice except under certain conditions, but when it did, the truck would run terrible.

Oh, I almost forgot, we found a piece of the rail in one yesterday. The rail had been modified by someone and chunks are breaking off the thing internally.

This was just Monday thru yesterday this week.

Your smooth idle tells me everything is OK with the injectors, but it could still be one. Thats why I wanted you to rev the truck with one injector disconnected at a time and see if that tells you anything.
Oh crap!! you just did mine this week and i just got them today i wonder if my injectors are the ones with metal in them???

Benn Duvall
Old 04-03-2008, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bad-Duvall
Oh crap!! you just did mine this week and i just got them today i wonder if my injectors are the ones with metal in them???

Benn Duvall
Benn, if it were one of yours, you would have been the first to be notified after me. LOL
Old 04-03-2008, 01:13 PM

Rechecked everything again.Still have the problem.Lifted one wire at a time from each injector and ran.Idle gets lopey and stays rough when revved up to 2k rpm.#2 injector did not seem as rough when disconnected for some reason.Nothing major different but different.Went for another drive to watch the gauges closer.Feels like it has low power,but then again the Smarty hasn't been off in over a year,regardless its a touch slow on excelleration and when it gets to 2k rpm it begins to miss real bad.Rail pressure is around 18-20k when the miss is happening,egts are 600-700*,boost is between 15-20lbs and fuel pressure is good(20psi).Grab another gear and sluggish to 2k rpm and the miss returns.Does this in each gear.I'm at a total loss.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by lmills
Benn, if it were one of yours, you would have been the first to be notified after me. LOL

Awsome.. You know im just going to start callin you when i start to have a bad day you always make it better!
Old 04-03-2008, 07:30 PM
DTR Advertiser

Any news homewrecker? Thoughts? Ideas?
Old 04-03-2008, 07:42 PM

Any news homewrecker? Thoughts? Ideas?
Read post 22.I'm stumped.Gonna get the double barrel out and fix it!
Old 04-03-2008, 07:52 PM
DTR Advertiser

I have some injectors here I could send you to try. Same size, etc. I could ship them tomorrow. They are just sitting here so, why not - right?

Just dont shoot a hole in the truck before they arrive. LOL

Thats about all I can do from this far away.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:38 PM

I have some injectors here I could send you to try. Same size, etc. I could ship them tomorrow. They are just sitting here so, why not - right?

Just dont shoot a hole in the truck before they arrive. LOL

Thats about all I can do from this far away.
Any help at this point would be greatly appreciated.The weather turned bad this afternoon and I gave up on it.I'm gonna go thru the electrical conections tomorrow.I just don't understand it at this point.Everything worked great until the cp-3 went out.Sent the injectors off to you and new pump arrived and now have all these problems.I'm feeling like I have no business messing under the hood of this thing.I worked for Cat for 6 years.I know my way around a diesel or at least I thought I did until all this.
Can one injector not working properly cause what I described in post 22?I feel like the injection pump is working properly.Talked with John and he knows the full history on the pump.Was taken off a friends truck with low miles before modding.Rail pressure seems to be normal based on throttle position and rpm.Seems like an injector(s) going screwy after the rail pressure gets beyond a certain level.I'm open for any suggestions at this point.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:43 PM

Hang in there Homewrecker. I'd venture to say you have got a bad injector.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:44 PM
DTR Advertiser

I dont think it is an injector because it idles well and the problem does not show up until 18-20K pressure. That just does not happen. At least I have never seen that.

But, I still want to eliminate them as a possible problem.

Would Monday arrival be good? Tomorrow is Friday.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:50 PM

Just to throw out another thing to check, because I have found this problem on 1 truck.

Look at all the connectors for the injector wiring harness. I have seen the pins pushed back into the connector too far, were they barely made contact with the male end when plugged in. Look at the connections with a flashlight as closely as posible for anything that might look out off place.

JD

Quick Reply: Symptoms of a blown head gasket?