3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Symptoms of a blown head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 09:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Symptoms of a blown head gasket?

Just wondering what some of the symptoms are.I'm chasing my tail with low power and stumbling under excelleration since install of flux2's,stage 2 cp-3,headstuds and valve springs.Rail pressure is good,no fuel leaks that I can see.Truck idles good and races up good in neutal but falls on its face as soon as you put in gear and go.Egt's quickly go over 600* at 25mph in 3rd gear,RP seems alittle high while all this is going on(20kpsi).Oil level is good,no fuel or coolant (that I can see or smell)Haven't even put a mile on the truck since all this stuff went on.Just wondering if I botched the stud install some how and damaged the gasket(maybe between 2 cylinders).
Old 04-02-2008, 09:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any white smoke? Usually a headgasket would make itself pretty clear.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have blown a head gasket between cylinders due to injector failure and really other than a slight miss it still ran great. What was your boost pressure before this happened and what is it now?
Old 04-02-2008, 09:55 PM

With a blown head gasket you wouldn't be driving too far...either you'd be making oil from coolant into oil or you'd be getting crank case vent steam or white steam smoke out of exhaust. If you aren't making boost....the temps will be higher than normal. I'd try to drive it a bit to see if you can set some codes to help track it down. Could be an injector install related problem...this has a tendency to be hard to track as the pressure is good to the rail but either the connector tubes aren't seated well and all that pressure is bypassing the injector and returning via the return line. Did you make sure all the coppers came out of the injector bores when you removed them originally....I had one stuck in the bore and then reinstalled and all was not good... After doing so many additions it is harder to find the culprit...Have you checked all the hose/hose clamps to make sure none are loose torn or stripped. The frustration is magnified the larger the money spent or the effort to improve your vehicle ....been there and done this a couple of times....when all is good you will be overcome with joy....almost makes up for all the agony of getting everything meshedKS
Old 04-02-2008, 09:55 PM

No white smoke that I can tell.Smoke seems to be normal,slight haze with a touch of black.Hard to see it real well with the stacks.It will roll the coal in neutral with Smarty 4.4beta which is normal but can't get out of its own way once trying to drive it.Have been easy on the throttle on the few test drives.The problem is apparent as soon as you begin to excellerate so I haven't flogged it to see if it will roll black smoke
Old 04-02-2008, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by abc4yew
With a blown head gasket you wouldn't be driving too far...either you'd be making oil from coolant into oil or you'd be getting crank case vent steam or white steam smoke out of exhaust. If you aren't making boost....the temps will be higher than normal. I'd try to drive it a bit to see if you can set some codes to help track it down. Could be an injector install related problem...this has a tendency to be hard to track as the pressure is good to the rail but either the connector tubes aren't seated well and all that pressure is bypassing the injector and returning via the return line. Did you make sure all the coppers came out of the injector bores when you removed them originally....I had one stuck in the bore and then reinstalled and all was not good... After doing so many additions it is harder to find the culprit...Have you checked all the hose/hose clamps to make sure none are loose torn or stripped. The frustration is magnified the larger the money spent or the effort to improve your vehicle ....been there and done this a couple of times....when all is good you will be overcome with joy....almost makes up for all the agony of getting everything meshedKS
Don't really want to drive it much because the egt's are not inline for the speeds at this point(600-700* 35mph ***** footing it).I feel certain all the washers are correct.Checked and cleaned each injector hole before install.The motor has a what feels like a dead miss when excellerating(kinda chug-chug-chug as you drive it).Wishing I would have done the upgrades in steps at this point.Been alot easier to put a finger on the problem.
How excessive would the crankcase vent steam be?I haven't noticed any,even laying under the truck with it running.Truck idles fine with no smoke,had a slight haze when first cranked for about 3-4 minutes but cleared up as engine temp roze.Guess I'll be going back thru everything again tomorrow.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:13 PM
DTR Advertiser

All this went on at one time?

Did the truck have the stumble before you installed the latest round of things?

Start by taking out any programming and any boxes. Remove Smarty and MP8. Go back to stock.

Go back over any and all connections that you removed. FCA connection, Rail pressure gage connection, etc.

Are you saying the truck will idle smooth and rev in the driveway without a hiccup, but once under way on the road it is acting up?
Old 04-02-2008, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Don M
All this went on at one time?

Did the truck have the stumble before you installed the latest round of things?

Start by taking out any programming and any boxes. Remove Smarty and MP8. Go back to stock.

Go back over any and all connections that you removed. FCA connection, Rail pressure gage connection, etc.

Are you saying the truck will idle smooth and rev in the driveway without a hiccup, but once under way on the road it is acting up?
These are the injectors that have been to you twice in the past couple of weeks(sent thru Lloyd)because of the injection pump going out.Installed them today,the lopey idle problem is fixxed,idles perfect.Can feel a slight stumble when stabbing at the throttle in neutral at around 2000rpm.Have tried it with everything back to stock(no gauges,Smarty,mp-8)still has same problem.I feel like its a fuel leak but I'm not seeing one.
Did you find anything wrong with them this go round?If not maybe I'm doing something wrong.I've done 4 sets of these for myself and friends with no problems but maybe I'm getting dumber at this instead of smarter!
Old 04-02-2008, 10:19 PM
DTR Advertiser

Something that comes up from time to time is guys will bend a push tube installing injectors or valve springs when putting everything back together. Check to be certain the tubes are all straight and sitting in their tappets properly. This can cause a problem like you mentioned.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:25 PM

Something that comes up from time to time is guys will bend a push tube installing injectors or valve springs when putting everything back together. Check to be certain the tubes are all straight and sitting in their tappets properly. This can cause a problem like you mentioned.
Don go back and read what I added to the bottom of post #8.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:42 PM
DTR Advertiser

I did not find anything wrong with the injectors this time. Actually I found some metal in the injectors the first time, but it was in the top of the injector area that gets magnetized over time. That area always collects any metal small enough to make it up there.

Did John verify the pump was in fact stuck or whatever after he got it back?

Tomorrow can you check the following:

Push tubes to make certain none are bent from the spring install.

The smooth idle makes me think the injectors are OK, but...I still want you to disconnect 1 injector at a time, with the engine running and the cover off. See if you can detect anything getting better. See if the miss is getting better when you do this.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:06 PM

I did not find anything wrong with the injectors this time. Actually I found some metal in the injectors the first time, but it was in the top of the injector area that gets magnetized over time. That area always collects any metal small enough to make it up there.

Did John verify the pump was in fact stuck or whatever after he got it back?

Tomorrow can you check the following:

Push tubes to make certain none are bent from the spring install.

The smooth idle makes me think the injectors are OK, but...I still want you to disconnect 1 injector at a time, with the engine running and the cover off. See if you can detect anything getting better. See if the miss is getting better when you do this.
John should have the pump by now.I couldn't turn the shaft by hand.I'm not following the reason for disconnecting one injector at a time.The idle is fine.What exactly am I gonna be looking for to happen and what direction will this point me in.
If you didn't find anything wrong with them then I am definitely doing something wrong because the lopey idle and white smoke problem is gone
Old 04-02-2008, 11:09 PM

I need more money so I can pay Lloyd to do all this mechanicing!
Old 04-03-2008, 12:33 AM

Mine would idle fine, but not rev well and felt like a miss when pulling out. Also could hear a thump thump thump noise in the airfilter. EGT's were definatly higher. No unusual smoke. No oil in crankcase.

Turned out to be a gasket blown between 3 and 4.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:56 AM

Keegan is correct. You do not always produce white smoke or mix oil and antifreeze with a blown headgasket. If the gasket blows between cylinders, (which they frequently do) all it does is blow compression back and forth between cylinders and as the intake valve is opening, compression bleeds over and blows back out thru the intake valve causing the slight popping noise. It is also be heard on the exhaust side also.

Quick Reply: Symptoms of a blown head gasket?