3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Switching pods

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switching pods

I might have to switch from a window pod to an A pillar pod. I noticed today that my window pod is starting to blister in the heat. I thought at first my paint was pealing but it is the pod itself. What is it going to do when it really gets hot here in Texas. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Thanks! Usta
Old 05-26-2005, 03:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am in Arizona, and guess what I noticed yesterday. Same as you, it is blistering. I was thinking of going with the in dash (move the a/c controls) type mounting. Haven't decided yet.

Aaron
Old 05-26-2005, 04:03 PM

I don't think you move the controls I think that they go in the cubby whole below them. I cant mount them there because I have 4x4 on the fly in the cubby whole. I really didn't want to do a pillar mount because I didn't want to lose my handle.

Bummed! Usta
Old 05-26-2005, 05:02 PM

funny, mine is doing it too.
thats crap
Old 05-26-2005, 05:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Someone on this site has moved the a/c controls down, to put the guages in the middle. I think it looks good.

Aaron
Old 05-26-2005, 06:38 PM
RN1

Mine is doing it too, started a few months ago. . Not sure if you are talking about the dash top pod, that's what I have. I even took it off to check inside because I was worried about the wiring getting hot and causing it to melt. Nothing wrong, in fact, the inside is still smooth. Looks like it is just bubbling on the top surface.....Robert
Old 05-27-2005, 12:08 PM

I don't think that they are using the correct type of plastic for this application. If it is to hot in the truck you would think that my dash would be warping or something. Mine is the window mount and it is interesting to hear that the dash mount is doing the same thing. My velcro is holding well but the pod is blistering. Kyle if you are watching this post don't sell any more pods to anyone in the south. It has not even hit 100 here yet and I keep my windows cracked. I wonder if it will stop or just keep getting worse? Time will tell I guess.

Usta
Old 05-27-2005, 12:26 PM
RN1

Switching to a pillar mount isn't really an option now, since I had to drill a hole in the dash top for the wiring to go through, and a couple of small ones for the mounting bracket. Mine is made by Autometer, so I may contact them and see if it's a known problem......Robert
Old 05-27-2005, 01:59 PM
Banned

That's odd. I've had my pod for 4 years now and even in the texas heat it's never blistered.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:32 AM
Banned

Morning.

Something ODD here, Auto Meter's manufacturer has used REVO TECH material for years and it's designed to withstand the heat that you are describing etc. We have sold their A pillars, Dash top, Windshield etc etc mounts for years and never had even one warp or blister. Look inside of the mount, if it's an Auto Meter it will have the part number molded into it. There are a copy cat mounts out there that are not made of Revo Tech material and they will warp. Second thought the copy cats even had Auto Meters part number on some of the original copies, Auto Meter has to have a word with them and then that stopped. You might check with the location where you go the mount, lots of web sites are using Auto Meter pictures but selling something else.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 05-31-2005, 05:15 PM
RN1

Thank You Mark

Mark, Thanks for that information. I checked mine, and the Autometer part number is on the inside. It is actually bubbling up where the two pieces of the pod are glued together. You can't see the defect on the inside of the pod, it's only the outer layer that is bubbling. I called the company I purchased it from, and they are sending a replacement out today.........Robert
Old 06-01-2005, 08:39 AM
Banned

RN1,

Ok great I was wondering what mount the Usta HaveA Hemi guy is talking about. I was pretty sure yours was the dash top mount, but he is speaking about a "window pod" Is that the dash mount too???

I called the company that makes the mounts for Auto Meter and spoke with the owner. He told me that some of the 1st batch that were built had too much adhesive applied. The adhesive bonds down into the product material and that was what caused the problem. If the adhesive goes deeper into the material than 30% the potential for sun damage is possible.

The best part is this; they are very concerned about the issue and he woudl like to replace the parts for you directly. He woudl also like to get the returned part for testing purposes etc. Obviousley I can't post his name and numebr as he will be covered up with "make me this or that calls for the rest of his life" but if you will call me I will arrainge for you three to get together.

Another reason to deal with companies like Auto Meter and not the knock off companies, they make sure the sub contractors do the right thing and take care of problems when they occassionally happen. In this particular case I know the manufacturer and he would have done the right thing anyway as that is the kind of person he is, but it's still refreshing to have some companies operate the old fashioned way somethimes.

He really wants to help and get that product back so call me at your opportunity etc.

Mark @ DPPI
866-455-7788
Old 06-01-2005, 08:53 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Glue can do that and so can too high of water content in the plastic. Once it gets heated the water will 'bubble' out. Usually when its formed it does not take enough heat long enough to show up...being near the glass on a truck in the desert heat would do it. Sometimes the reason for too much water content is it could be an older batch of plastic or poorly processed recycled sheets. None of this is the manufacturers fault but they end up looking after it irregardless. Been there, done that.

Scotty

Quick Reply: Switching pods