3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

SWB aux fuel tank idea

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SWB aux fuel tank idea

I posted this on TDR and figured I'd toss the idea out here too since I now not everyone is on both boards. Here's the link to TDR so you can see some other responses/ideas from others after I posted there. http://www.tdr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149936

For those of us who have the short bed trucks we have the issue of either replacing the stock tank...which it seems no one really makes a 'big' (say 80 gallons) tank to do so( I blieve the new tank shown in TDR this month is in fact only available for the 4x4 SWB trucks)....and anyone who would make such a tank would want big bucks based on the current prices of them.

So I have the same issues with installing an aux tank in the bed...not enough bed. So far I Just carry a couple 5 gallon cans or so of diesel when I drive and when I am at my destination I fill up and can usually make it home without having to stop and refill. BUT carrying an extra 40-50 gallons instead of 15 or so would make things even better...especially if when I got home I could simply remove the tank and have full use of the bed until I needed it again.

What does everyone think of a removable (easily) 40-50 gallon aux tank? Essentially it would just be one giant gas can...and would require some sort of pump to get the fuel from it to the main tank. BUT I have seen 50 gallon boat tanks run less than $200 new and some sort of electric pump shouldn;t be that expensive.
Have the mounting setup where you undo the straps (or whatever) and just remove the tank when not in use. Obviously it couldn;t be full or 1 person would not be able to move it...but in my case anyway it would be empty or close to empty when I was to remove it...so for me this is not an issue.

Just kicking around ideas for not only a more feasable option for SWB trucks BUT it seems it would also be much less expensinve than buying a pre-made tank specifically for the truck.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not a bad idea! I would want to make sure it is a very well designed boat tank and is strapped in tight with reinforcing plates. The weight of diesel at ~7.1lbs/gallon can get pretty heavy . Need to make sure that in the event of a rollover that tank is not going anywhere or leak if inverted.