3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Suspension upgrades-Nice!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Suspension upgrades-Nice!!

We use our truck primarily to tow a bumper pull 7000# horse trailer and a 10,000# gooseneck trailer and have always been pretty happy with it's abilities and the ride. I had not noticed that it wandered, vibrated, etc, and I had never experienced anything like the "death wobble" described by others on this site. At 22,000 miles I upgraded to Bilsteins 3 weeks ago and the Windecker steering box stabilizer 6 days ago. We have a standard 180mile round trip to a park we go to 1-2 per week to ride, 85 miles on interstate, and 5 miles on bad secondary roads. The difference was very noticable. Going over concrete patches on the interstate, and the bumps going on and off bridges are now hardly felt, the steering is straight with minimal need to correct, bouncing is less, and the secondary road is as easy as the interstate. For the $300 for the shocks and 2 hours work, and under $200 for the steering box stabilizer and 45minutes to install, it was well worth it for the difference we've noticed even in our relatively new truck. Hopefully the stabilizer will slow wearing in the front end parts, and keep the truck smooth and safe. Upgrades were good from our budget and my mechanical abilities and I'd recommend to anyone. Thanks, Bill
Old 09-18-2005, 10:06 PM

Where did you get your Bilstein shocks?
Old 09-19-2005, 04:39 AM

Bilstein shocks

I purchased mine from Strano Performance Parts, he's a member and advertiser on this site and very helpful. Bill
Old 09-19-2005, 06:54 AM

Wilnis - is the steering stabilizer essentially a dampner? How does the truck drive in the city? Has the steering effort significantly increased? Where did you get the steering stabilizer?

Thanks for your comments,

- Jason
Old 09-19-2005, 09:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought the Windecker steering brace was for 2002 and earlier trucks????
Old 09-19-2005, 09:35 AM

Windecker steering box stabilizer

Jason-Marv at Windecker is who to talk to. The website is www.solidsteel.biz (sorry I didn't make it so you can click) and the website has pictures, instructions, and phone numbers. No problems with increased steering effort, it has a large, greasable bearing, and drives fine in the city. It is a big piece of steel that attaches by the 4 bolts of the front stabilizer bar, and has a hole that fits around the rod from the stabilizer that the pitman arm attachs to. Take off 4 bolts form the stabilizer, and one bolt from the steering box, put steel piece in place, rebolt stabilizer bar, put bearing in, bolt that, grease it, and you're done. I did need to get two new sockets to use, under $10, and you need a torque wrench.
trik396-He now makes them for the 03 and up trucks. Bill
Old 09-19-2005, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by jmerola
Wilnis - is the steering stabilizer essentially a dampner? How does the truck drive in the city? Has the steering effort significantly increased? Where did you get the steering stabilizer?
It is a steering box brace. It keeps the steering box aligned so when there is frame flex, the steering disturbance is reduced. The only additional drag is due to a bearing which you wouldn't notice.

Wilnis, I understand that the shocks are a huge improvement, but did you notice a large difference with just the addition of the Windecker box? Seems like a lot to spend if it is just a stock truck. I could justify with a lift and oversized tires, unless you tell me otherwise (if there was noticeable improvements).

Thanks
Old 09-19-2005, 02:21 PM

Suspension upgrade

T&T-We drove the truck 2 weeks with just the Bilstein shock upgrade, and neither of us were sure we noticed a big improvement, it still drove fine, damped the bumps well, and we thought there were no problems and were glad to have the good quality shocks on. We were actually startled by the improvement we both could feel on on weekly drive when the steering stabilizer got put on. I drove it without the trailer a few miles and thought, again, it was a good upgrade to prevent deterioration of the front end, but when we drove with the 7000# bumper pull, we both could notice the improvement. For us and our truck in the towing situation, I'm satisfied with the $180+upgrade of the stabilizer box. ( My truck is stock height and has 17"265BFG stock tires.) Thanks-Bill