3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Superlift Bilstein multi shock system pics and feedback

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 04:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cowhand
Exactly.....

I guess when you have nothing to compare to, ride quality is pretty much subjective.....but a ~500lb spring and triple 5100's has got to knock some teeth loose.
ya can't knock it before you've tried it. It's actually a very comfortable ride as I mentioned above... it handles better, articulates fine and a lot more stable than stock. Bilstein has been around a long time and have some desent shocks.

Now, if i was looking to take speed bumps at 50mph... then I would want another system
Old 12-08-2007, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by tritont
ya can't knock it before you've tried it. It's actually a very comfortable ride as I mentioned above... it handles better, articulates fine and a lot more stable than stock. Bilstein has been around a long time and have some desent shocks.

Now, if i was looking to take speed bumps at 50mph... then I would want another system
I've never tried welding the axles directly to the frame either....
But I did have trucks in back in the 80's with triples and duals, so yeah, I have tried it.

I think I might have heard of Bilstien shocks somewhere before....but I can't remember where.

Looks like your suspension would take a speedbump better at 50MPH than it would at say.....5MPH?

tritont, I'm not calling you a knothead by any means, but I've done a few of these and I know exactly what your truck rides like. I can tell by looking at it....based on the wire diameter of the spring, the number of active coils, the coil spacing (tells me the spring rate) and the fact that I know what the valving on a single 5100 relates to in terms of ride quality. Hard to get that spring to move by itself, let alone with three shocks behind it.

My comment about ride quality being subjective was simply pointing out that anything you ride in feels great until you ride in something better.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:01 PM

I will never look back...

A single Bilsteen 5100 on OEM springs rides great...

Properly valved Kings on a 360 lb spring... PRICELESS!

Triton...I thought the same for a long time...because I could not BELIEVE that King or Fox or anyone could make a shock/valving that could turn your or my 8900 lb truck into a dirtbike...

I would love to take you for a ride sometime...

Kudos to your truck though...it is a looker and a mover...
Old 12-08-2007, 05:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cowhand
I've never tried welding the axles directly to the frame either....
But I did have trucks in back in the 80's with triples and duals, so yeah, I have tried it.

I think I might have heard of Bilstien shocks somewhere before....but I can't remember where.

Looks like your suspension would take a speedbump better at 50MPH than it would at say.....5MPH?

tritont, I'm not calling you a knothead by any means, but I've done a few of these and I know exactly what your truck rides like. I can tell by looking at it....based on the wire diameter of the spring, the number of active coils, the coil spacing (tells me the spring rate) and the fact that I know what the valving on a single 5100 relates to in terms of ride quality. Hard to get that spring to move by itself, let alone with three shocks behind it.

My comment about ride quality being subjective was simply pointing out that anything you ride in feels great until you ride in something better.
ride quality of shocks in the 80's is a lot different than some can be now. guess it all depends on how much cash you want to spend on a suspension too. The ride quality is fine and not at all like the frame welded to the axle. If I wanted to jump my truck like Bob does, I would have gone a different route. To find something better means 5K and up and I thought my money was better suited elsewhere in the truck.

I'm not trying to defend Superlift at all but, you comments on what you think by looking at the pictures is wrong. It might be over kill but, many things on our trucks are.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cquestad
I will never look back...

A single Bilsteen 5100 on OEM springs rides great...

Properly valved Kings on a 360 lb spring... PRICELESS!

Triton...I thought the same for a long time...because I could not BELIEVE that King or Fox or anyone could make a shock/valving that could turn your or my 8900 lb truck into a dirtbike...

I would love to take you for a ride sometime...

Kudos to your truck though...it is a looker and a mover...
Don't get me wrong... I do understand the difference and have ridden on the difference. I live in the mountains though and not the desert. Unless I wanted to go rock crawling, there's no whoops to be found

I just wanted to point out that the Superlift set up isn't as bad as some may think.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:46 PM

so i guess superlift has joined banks as one of the companies that just isn't good enough for a real ctd owner to use. i guess i better get some room on the credit card ready- vr springs $650 set of shocks $1200 impressing everyone with my settup... priceless!
Old 12-08-2007, 06:53 PM

If I wanted to jump my truck like Bob does, I would have gone a different route. To find something better means 5K and up and I thought my money was better suited elsewhere in the truck.
I'm not talking about jumping the truck, I'm talking about something functional that doesn't rattle your teeth loose driving down the road.
For what you spent on 10 Bilstiens and the mounts, you'd have been within a couple hundred of what it would cost for 2.5's and towers. You'd have had something that rode and handled great on the street and handled anything you could throw at it in the mountains and woods.

I'm not trying to defend Superlift at all but, you comments on what you think by looking at the pictures is wrong. It might be over kill but, many things on our trucks are.
Over-engineering is great, overkill just makes thing worse. In most cases, the "if one is good, two is better" doesn't work. There is nothing you can say to convince me that I'm wrong about your set up.....I've been doing performance suspensions for too long. A stiff spring with 3 shocks is just not going to move very well, unless you've drilled 1 or two of those shocks out.

If you're happy with your ride quality, that's great. It's a great looking truck, and you should enjoy the heck out of it. But if you get a chance, take a ride in a truck with a Carli, Thuren or Lorenz system. They all have systems priced from less than what you have in your current system all the up to $8-9K. Carli and Lorenz both have starter systems that cost less than $1400.

tritont, I'm not bashing your truck...I'm simply passing on some of the knowledge that was passed on to me once upon a time, in hope that it might be of some benefit to you.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:34 PM

The Kings/Springs are so good...it makes just PAVEMENT driving more fun...