3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Superchip to Smarty JR.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Superchip to Smarty JR.

Hi everyone:
I have a 07 3500 Quad 8' box, auto, 4X4 all stock other then first bought I put in the Superchip (not one issue 30,000 miles) as I tow 14,000# (35TMS Grand Junction 5th wheel), I have had good luck with the Superchip but do pull high EGT's every once in a while going over the mountains here in Washington, with all the reading I have decided to go with the smarty jr as it looks as if EGT's do run cooler, question.. is this a good way to go pulling the weight that I do pull? and what is the best setting to pull with #2 or #3? I would say that the Smarty Jr is the better programmer, is this a correct statement??
All replies would be appreciated.
Thanks
Charlie
Old 09-29-2008, 04:43 PM

Yes its a better programmer!

What do you consider "high" egts? There are many different opinions on what "high" is on the 04.5 and later trucks.

With the auto I'm not sure I would run the level 2 on the JR Yet with that much weight until the new version comes out that is a little detuned on level 2. After that comes out 2 will probably be perfect.

What gears do you have in your rig? Not lifted at all is it?
Old 09-29-2008, 05:26 PM

What I mean by high egts is 1300 only for a few minutes or so, but the norm going over mountains is around 1200 and I can keep it there but will loose some MPH, which I understand will happen. Right now I have the 373 gears and in the process of looking to go with some 4:10's if needed. I had the understanding that with the Smarty Jr. level 2 was for towing, my Superchip tow mode gives me 90 additional HP and the smarty shows 70 for level 2 so I am confused why you say level 2 on the Smarty Jr. is to high, I have had no issues with the Superchip. I would only be swapping to Smarty for the lower EGT's.
Thanks
Old 09-29-2008, 05:36 PM

I think most people on this site would not recommend pulling much weight with extra HP until the stock auto is upgraded. I'm actually in the same boat myself. I've added quite a bit of power, but don't drive my truck much and don't really pull anything - but I'm in the process of getting a new tranny now. I would say that if you posted the same question about going from stock to 90 HP extra with the superchip (like you've already done) you would probably hear most people suggesting tranny upgrades before doing it.

The Smarty JR may change more settings in your truck than your Superchip and may give you a more aggressive throttle response as well - but other folks would know more about the specifics than me.

Thomas
Old 09-29-2008, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by cbenn
Hi everyone:
I have a 07 3500 Quad 8' box, auto, 4X4 all stock other then first bought I put in the Superchip (not one issue 30,000 miles) as I tow 14,000# (35TMS Grand Junction 5th wheel), I have had good luck with the Superchip but do pull high EGT's every once in a while going over the mountains here in Washington, with all the reading I have decided to go with the smarty jr as it looks as if EGT's do run cooler, question.. is this a good way to go pulling the weight that I do pull? and what is the best setting to pull with #2 or #3? I would say that the Smarty Jr is the better programmer, is this a correct statement??
All replies would be appreciated.
Thanks
Charlie
Originally Posted by cbenn
What I mean by high egts is 1300 only for a few minutes or so, but the norm going over mountains is around 1200 and I can keep it there but will loose some MPH, which I understand will happen. Right now I have the 373 gears and in the process of looking to go with some 4:10's if needed. I had the understanding that with the Smarty Jr. level 2 was for towing, my Superchip tow mode gives me 90 additional HP and the smarty shows 70 for level 2 so I am confused why you say level 2 on the Smarty Jr. is to high, I have had no issues with the Superchip. I would only be swapping to Smarty for the lower EGT's.
Thanks
Turns out that level 2 on the JR was giving same end-result power as level on some peoples trucks.

And I have used a superchips before.. There is a big difference between 70hp from Smarty and 90hp from them. Theres a reason you don't see many people bragging about superchips out there.

I towed quite a bit with stock tranny and Smarty SR on level 5, 7, and even 9 (when towing 8-9k) but towing my toy-hauler I wouldn't do much over 3 on the Sr because the torque converter would slip when it was locked up and I tried to accelerate (around 60mph - 70mph) and would do it quite a bit. Did it with my Juice/Attitude too though (level 3 or higher)

You do have the added luxury of being able to lock-out Overdrive, which the 05 trucks didn't have for a few years until BD came out with a module to do it. So you probably will be fine if you roll into the throttle easily and stuff.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll bet the smarty jr on level 3 will have lower egt's and a touch more pulling power. That said, the stronger bottom end of the smarty may put even more strain on your stock tranny.