3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Super Single Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by abc4yew
The speed rating is for tire temperature and balance. The faster you spin the tire the more balanced the tire must be....Sounds like a win win situation. If you get a flat with those tires you'd have to stop to check on the econocar you just ran over anyway ks
Hahaha. The tire diagnosis of the flat would go like this:

Hmmm... pepple,.....gum....mud....ford aspire.....screw.....plastic....Volkwagen Rabbit....I wonder why I got a flat, I don't see anything unusual..?
Old 10-18-2006, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by XLR8R
I doubt you'll have any clearance problems in the rear at all; I recently measured my truck for 37s all around and there was lots of room in the rear.
I have no lift at all and it'd be easier to get 40" in the rear than 37" in the front.

With the 3" rear lift you're planning, they'll fit fine... have you checked the backspacing yet? I like to see the inboard of the tire within 1" of the frame/suspension for the "tucked under" look.
Well I am going to have to go to a 295/75 tire in the front. Do you think that will fit on my 22.5 x 7.5 rim or will I need to go to the 8.25" rim they recommend?
Old 10-18-2006, 08:55 PM

And lastly, how do you think the wet/snow performance would be affected of my truck. Obviously the dry, street performance would be improved.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 295s will fit on the 7.5" rim, but the shoulders will pull up a bit more from the ground than the 8.25s... of course, if your inflation pressure isn't too high, that could be a good thing - offsetting the low pressure tendency to lay the sidewalls over on the ground.

The worst scenario is the tread will wear faster down the center with the narrower rims... and I don't think you have to worry about buying new rubber when you need to.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:13 PM

The 295s will fit on the 7.5" rim, but the shoulders will pull up a bit more from the ground than the 8.25s... of course, if your inflation pressure isn't too high, that could be a good thing - offsetting the low pressure tendency to lay the sidewalls over on the ground.

The worst scenario is the tread will wear faster down the center with the narrower rims... and I don't think you have to worry about buying new rubber when you need to.
That and with 300,000 miles on these treads, I doubt it will wear that fast !!

I just found a 495/45 Bridgestone!! It is sweet! I need to find if they sell it in the US!
Old 10-18-2006, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by D.Wiggs
And lastly, how do you think the wet/snow performance would be affected of my truck. Obviously the dry, street performance would be improved.
Rain performance depends on how well the new tires will hydroplane, followed by their wet traction. The front is no problem since it's so heavy and there's only one tire per side. Will the rear tires have the same footprint as the duals?
If so, they shouldn't channel water away as well, since the water has a longer distance to go to get out from underneath the tire. Again, a heavy rear will raise the hydroplane speed quite a bit.

I think you'll have less of an issue with snow performance, though duals will tend to "bite" more than super-wide singles.

Of course, if you drive on ice - that's why you have insurance!
Old 10-18-2006, 09:23 PM

Rain performance depends on how well the new tires will hydroplane, followed by their wet traction. The front is no problem since it's so heavy and there's only one tire per side. Will the rear tires have the same footprint as the duals?
If so, they shouldn't channel water away as well, since the water has a longer distance to go to get out from underneath the tire. Again, a heavy rear will raise the hydroplane speed quite a bit.

I think you'll have less of an issue with snow performance, though duals will tend to "bite" more than super-wide singles.

Of course, if you drive on ice - that's why you have insurance!
It all depends on what tire. I have two 255s on the rear for a loaded combined width of about 530mm and the two tires I am looking at have a width of 450 and 499mm respectively so it will be a slightly smaller footprint, but like you said, the water will still have farther to go. I still do not know whether or not to do super single or some beefier duals. I keep going back and forth!
Old 10-18-2006, 10:46 PM
Banned

Hahaha. The tire diagnosis of the flat would go like this:

Hmmm... pepple,.....gum....mud....ford aspire.....screw.....plastic....Volkwagen Rabbit....I wonder why I got a flat, I don't see anything unusual..?
Now I have beer on my laptop!!!

And I want to see the new pics now, Road Armor bumpers, SRT-10 hood, and super singles
Old 10-18-2006, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by displacedtexan
Now I have beer on my laptop!!!

And I want to see the new pics now, Road Armor bumpers, SRT-10 hood, and super singles
I am workin on it!
Old 10-18-2006, 11:04 PM

It all depends on what tire. I have two 255s on the rear for a loaded combined width of about 530mm and the two tires I am looking at have a width of 450 and 499mm respectively so it will be a slightly smaller footprint, but like you said, the water will still have farther to go. I still do not know whether or not to do super single or some beefier duals. I keep going back and forth!
I thought the new tires were significantly larger in diameter than your current duals? You have to consider the length of the footprint as well when you're calculating the contact patch area. A larger diameter tire will hydroplane at a higher speed than a similiar width, yet smaller diameter tire. Of course, higher pressure also increases that critical speed.

I favor the looks, simplicity and performance of the super singles...
Old 10-18-2006, 11:19 PM

I want to see Super Singles Front and Rear on a LWB SRW truck with minimal lift to clear... That would be awesome! One of my clients in the local Michelin dealer and i have seen the tires but never imagined them on my rig... I wonder if the wife would consider that as a aniversery gift... LOL

Oilguy
Old 11-19-2006, 11:10 PM

Any of you guys got any pics of super single floats on a newer CTD ram yet? I've been looking for an 04' 4 dr, long bed, 4x4 srw auto CTD and have been wanting to run something around a 40" tall 22.5 super single all around.

That 495/45 sounds Edit BAAAAD for the rears but getting them to clear up front will b hilarious. A 425/50 would be just about perfect for the fronts.

I know they aren't Rams but here's couple pics I have of some lesser brands.

425/65/22.5's They had to cut the fenders a good bit but I think it actually look good.

40" on 22's. Looks pretty Edit good but could use a little fender trimming to match the tire dia.

And just for absolutely retarded excess, 4 465/65/22.5's on the back of something monsterous.

Got a link to those 495's?

And here I was all excited cause Pirelli released a 375/20/21 that will fit great on my viper. (for bling bling purposes only) I think it's perfectly normal for a racecar + tow vehicle to have almost 12ft of contact patch on the ground over 8 tires
Old 11-19-2006, 11:17 PM

I almost bought an F-650 pickup. Do you have any info on the wheels on that 650?? I will see if I can find that link to the 495s.

I wonder how much they had to tub that F-650 because those tires are barely sticking out beyond the body!
Old 11-20-2006, 11:33 AM

I almost bought an F-650 pickup. Do you have any info on the wheels on that 650?? I will see if I can find that link to the 495s.

I wonder how much they had to tub that F-650 because those tires are barely sticking out beyond the body!
You know I didn't really look at the wheels all that closely. My guess is they are regular Alcoas that had a bead lock put on them. At any rate they look BAAAAAAAAAAD Edit
Old 11-20-2006, 05:11 PM

Quick P-Chop

Here is my truck with a Super Single. I did not do the lift I have being built or increase the diameter of the front tire; but this is a rough idea.
Attached Thumbnails Super Single Question-my-megacab-super-single.jpg  

Quick Reply: Super Single Question