3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Super Duper in the Pooper HHHEEEELLLLPPP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 03:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad you got it going...

Cheers
Old 07-15-2007, 04:14 PM

Glad things look better now!

Yes, glad things are much brighter now than they were around midnight last night.

I for one am impressed with your unrelenting work to resolve the issue. I know that just reading the posts has wore me out. I need to take a break, grab a cold one and relax for a while. Hope you can do the same.

I guess now that your "reconsidering modding as a hobby" was just a fleeting moment and is forgotten as you consider the next mod.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kerry
great news.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:48 PM

DONE!!! The fresh oil is in and the truck sounds great....I let it drain for 2 hours while I was at the BBQ....yes, Had a very cold one, and some great grub....drove 40 miles total to find 15w40 oil of a decent quality topped it up fired it up ....tomorrow I'll send in some pix and hopefully a video...of how much steam was coming out...

Oh yeah I need to run some seafoam through the truck as the injectors were a tiny bit carboned....not what I would call bad...but a good shot of cleaner will do them good. The rockers were smooth as silk and lash was good on the 6 I checked 3 in, 3exh.

All this and only a little sunburn on my balding head...and my oil change is done 4 days early. Thanks Guys, You don't know how relieved I am that the truck is all good and I fixed a big fubar....and that last week is OVER!Kerry
Old 07-15-2007, 07:53 PM
wap

Maybe Monday will be the start of a good week to make up for last week. Glad to hear she's breathin fire again.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:48 PM

Will, Thanks...its already better....nice warm and sunny day today, fun date tomorrow evening, house renovations start tomorrow, all is good. Kerry
Old 07-16-2007, 06:43 AM

Kerry, did you find out exactly why this happened? I didn't go back and read thru all the posts, so if you already mentioned it, I'm sorry.

By the way, get some bandanas for your balding problem.... works for me...
Old 07-16-2007, 07:48 AM

Trik, Yep, I have a pretty good idea. I did the same drive last night and I left the water system hooked up and had a 4litre jug to collect what was shot by the system....in 32km, 20 miles I shot almost 3 litres of water under light throttle usage....to put it into perspective....I only used 3.8 litres of diesel. I went out this morning to see how much that little drip drip added up to and the 4 litre jug was overflowing and there was a large puddle under the truck...probably 6 litres more.....in 8 hours.

The other thing was that temp and humidity was 85 degrees and 89% here on Saturday. The intake air was probably 250 degrees so there really wasn't alot of humidity capacity of the intake air left to absorb probably half this water.

So, Too much water being injected. Not enough being allow to stay as vapor. High humidity and temperature. The injected water was very cold. The run on of water due to a checkvalve that would not close.

I looked at the cooling mist setup last night after JRussells post and their system can be hooked up for EGT's and off the MAP sensor. That together with their 22psi pressure locked check-valve and solenoid controlled nozzles are the answer.

I also had the water flowing over too small a range and not quite high enough.

I think a 18psi start and a 45 psi full flow would be fine.

I will be ordering the cooling missed checkvalve to start. And if things work out maybe their controller and solenoids. I haven't really had super hot EGT's but I've only towed over a 250km loop.

Based on my nightmare of last weekend I think that I'd only recommend an EGT and boost based system...The Cooling Mist electronic controller seems to offer the most flexibility although the system $700+ isn't cheap....but the cheapest is still $400+ so for $300more you can get the best of the best.

Whatever system you get .... The Cooling Mist checkvalve according to their text and the materials...is far superior to the POC plastic one that came with the Snow's system I got.

Donations to the Kerry Keep Kool unwanted water out of the engine fund will gladly be accepted. Lary can yo get me a nickel valve at the DTR store?
Old 07-16-2007, 07:54 AM

I believe my Devilsown checkvalve is stainless steel and cracks at 27psi. But now you have me thinking about adding a solenoid also... cheap insurance.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:46 PM

I was towing heavy today....24k on Beta 4.4 on the Smarty so I hooked up one nozzle and changed the on to 20 with max flow at 50.

It worked great....Just the right amount of water it seemed....and when I stopped I closed the ball valve on the doghouse....I'm going to put a valve on the second nozzle and just use it when I need it. My checkvalve should be in next week.

Pix of my Tank, the box plumbing and the Pump placement are in my gallery.

I'm going to put a double sided 3/8 connector in the hole in my truck so that the tubing doesn't go through the hole in the bed but just the 3/8 inch connector....with lots of 3/8 tubing on each side of the fitting to allow for movement. That will be done tomorrow.

I hit 35psi constant on some hills today....for like 20 to 30 seconds...lots of water flowing through the one nozzle, EGT's less than 1250, and the truck so loud semi's were waving at me... and people on their porch were freaking. Once I hit 22psi it absolutely roars. Around town at 10psi with the windows down and something beside you it is so mean and loud...The exhaust exits half way between the back door and the wheels and is aimed slightly downward so that when you are driving along with a bit of boost it causes a dust storm on the side of the road.....freaks everyone out and no one rides my tail.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:34 PM

Glad to hear its running again Kerry!
Old 07-18-2007, 10:48 PM

glad to hear that everything worked out for ya.you might want to change the oil again soon.we use mulsfier at our cat shop it evaperates the moisture out of the engine.but man does it stink but work very well.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:53 AM

Thanks Guys, I bought another 20L jug of oil so this weekend another oil change and I'm going to take off all the rockers and make sure they are running smooth then set the lash again if necessary. It only takes an hour and I am making it a regular maintenance chore. Kerry
Old 07-19-2007, 06:24 AM
wap

Does the water change the tone/sound of the engine any?

This is a project I would like to do one day and you can bet I will contact you before I do. It is better to learn from others than to make you own mistakes.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:52 PM

Will, Hopefully not too much. The exhaust sounds a little different when I'm towing hills with it on....but that may be that I keep my foot in it a little more as the EGT's don't go any higher but the boost goes a little higher. KS