3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Super Duper in the Pooper HHHEEEELLLLPPP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injector hold downs are 89 in-lbs and feed tube nuts are 33 ft-lbs set the injectors in place torque them down then back them off to make sure they seat then place the feed tubes in and torque them down then torque the injector hold down bolts to make sure the two are sealed together with no leaks.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:33 AM

Well the truck is turning over with the injectors back in....still no fuel hooked back up...89in# huhhhh so 110 should be snug....I'd hate to be a copper washer right now....I'd be feeling the squeeze...I guess I'll be reinstalling the injectors next week with new coppers anyway... I just finished lunch so It's time to button her back up and start her up...I'm starting to get optomistic...that no harm was done. I'm going to leave the water system on....with all the flow heading to a 1 gallon jug ....just to see how much I was injecting. Thanks for the support and help so far....I don't mind doing planned work on my truck but I freak when unscheduled crap happens. Propane system and new exhaust manifold are on hold for today....If this works....its BBQ time. Kerry
Old 07-15-2007, 11:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by abc4yew
Well the truck is turning over with the injectors back in....still no fuel hooked back up...89in# huhhhh so 110 should be snug....I'd hate to be a copper washer right now....I'd be feeling the squeeze...I guess I'll be reinstalling the injectors next week with new coppers anyway... I just finished lunch so It's time to button her back up and start her up...I'm starting to get optomistic...that no harm was done. I'm going to leave the water system on....with all the flow heading to a 1 gallon jug ....just to see how much I was injecting. Thanks for the support and help so far....I don't mind doing planned work on my truck but I freak when unscheduled crap happens. Propane system and new exhaust manifold are on hold for today....If this works....its BBQ time. Kerry
Glad to hear!!!!!
Old 07-15-2007, 12:42 PM

Man! I feel for you. One day that thing will be a Beast to reckon with.....
Old 07-15-2007, 01:23 PM

YAHOO

After I cleaned up the tools.

It was time to start....this truck has always started on the first 2 seconds even in the coldest of temps....

I cranked for 4 then 5 seconds then rrr rrr rrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrr rummmble. It came to life in a cloud of smoke..probably all the motor oil from installing the injectors, lots of spare diesel and a little left over water....

After 15 seconds it was purring like a lion. It is sitting out there right now warming up at 1200rpm's. I'm going to take it for a brief gentle drive to get the engine completely warm then tomorrow....first thing....oil change.

THE WATER SYSTEM WILL NOT BE HOOKED BACK UP TO THE ENGINE UNTIL IT IS SOLENOID CONTROLLED....SNOW PERFORMANCE STILL SUCKS.

While I have to take some of the blame for using a big tank with 3/8" lines to feed the two big nozzles....the leaking by the pump when the system is off is just poor design. Before the pump was above the tanks so it had to prime everytime as the checkvalve is/was crap.

Anyway....I'm glad its back among the living...my brain cells are glad I didn't go out last night...and the female population is safe till next weekend. I just hope that the mighty Cummins rods are still the straightest and strongest.

Everytime crap happens and you overcome it....you just want to do more modding...its an addiction.

Thanks to all you guys for keeping me going in the dimest of times....working on your truck truly is a team effort with the great folks of the DTR.[
Old 07-15-2007, 01:29 PM
Banned

Wahoooo!!!! Cheers!!!!

Didn't you say something about a BBQ!!!!!
Old 07-15-2007, 01:35 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
wouldn't that be a site. all the DTR members getting together for a BBQ/dyno/sled pulling/drag race/bench racing/ who knows what else!!

THat would be fun!

Glad to hear you are back up and running!! CONGRATS!! I agree, if you went out last night working on the truck hung over is not fun!
Old 07-15-2007, 01:38 PM

Steam Engine....need advice

My guess is that there was a significant amount of water got into the oil....The breather tube is just pumping steam out....Should I leave it idling till it stops as I don't want to leave the water in the oil throughout the engine or turn it off and hope everything drains out...

The steam is mainly condensing on the ground below and it is a equivalent to a quick dripdripdrip. I put a cup under it to get an idea of the volume...The engine is no load so there shouldn't be a lubrication problem....but I'm not going to drive it till I see no steam or fresh oil....The dip stick is up about 1/2 litre. Kerry
Old 07-15-2007, 01:40 PM

Glad to hear you got her running again. Thank you for the great thread, it's really cool to see where you started with a broke down truck and at the end of the thread you're running again!!
Old 07-15-2007, 01:50 PM
Banned

Glad you got it running!

This thread is a great example of why there should always be a solenoid or checkvalve in the line.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:57 PM

Yep, still steam coming out of the breather and I pulled the dip stick and its pumping a little steam and a little watery oil out a hose I put on it....After 10 minutes only a 1/2 ounce of fluid out the dipstick and maybe 2 oz out the breather but alot more in steam....I idled it down a bit as sitting there in the heat...it was running hotter than it ever has....even towing ...maybe 105C.

A checkvalve keeps the pump primed but it doesn't control the flow of water into the engine....A solenoid is NEEDED to control the boost from backing into the water line and water feeding into the intake.

Any Ideas on the steam....No bad valve sounds.....If it is still pumping steam in an hour I'm on the edge of my seat....I don't want to turn it off with all that water in the oil but I don't want to keep running watery oil through the engine. The exhaust is pure as the driven snow. Kerry
Old 07-15-2007, 02:04 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kerry, I just caught this but man oh man I am happy for you.

Even if you dont have a fesh filter what if you just go ahead and change the oil now to get the water out? Even just some el cheapo stuff would work, then change it again next weekend just to be safe.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by abc4yew
A checkvalve keeps the pump primed but it doesn't control the flow of water into the engine....A solenoid is NEEDED to control the boost from backing into the water line and water feeding into the intake.
A good checkvalve with a set cracking pressure is what should be used (if a solenoid is not). That will keep the boost from backing up the line and also keep the fluid from siphoning into the engine. In addition, it also keeps the line primed right to the nozzles and prevents extended dripping after the pump turns off. Check out the ones Coolingmist sells and see the description under the nickel one...

http://www.coolingmist.com/pagedispl..._key=solenoids
Old 07-15-2007, 02:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wap
Kerry, I just caught this but man oh man I am happy for you.

Even if you dont have a fesh filter what if you just go ahead and change the oil now to get the water out? Even just some el cheapo stuff would work, then change it again next weekend just to be safe.
X2!!!!!!!!
Old 07-15-2007, 02:46 PM

Well the steam cleaning virtually stopped and I thought I found some oil...Dropped all the oil out flushed it with two litres and.put on a new filter filled with good oil....started filling it with a 20L pail that was about half full and half way into it I hit sludge....so I dropped all that oil out and now I'm phoning around to buddies to see if they have a spare pail lying around... I'll like to get it filled back up and run it for a while tonight....after the BBQ. I was planning to do an oil change later on this week but now its now. Kerry

Quick Reply: Super Duper in the Pooper HHHEEEELLLLPPP!!!!