3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Super Duper in the Pooper HHHEEEELLLLPPP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 08:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kerry, I know it can be a royal pain in the but.... Don't let it get to you. We do these things because we love to do them, so don't give up on something you have a passion for. We're all here to help any way we can... You'll wake up this morning with a new perspective and git-r-done...

Let us know what you find....
Old 07-15-2007, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To start I removed the intercooler pipe....it had about an ounce of water in it....dried it out and reinstalled.
I removed injectors one and two and put a straw with a hose on it into the injector bore...sucked up about half a straw of mostly diesel....by taste........there might have been a bit of water in there but who knows.

I tried to turn the truck over by turning on the fluidampr and I could go back a couple of inches and then ahead that same distance and a couple of inches.

How do I stop the CP3 from pumping fuel? I don't mean maybe....I mean for sure as I've fubarred things enough already....

Now the fluid I pulled out was only that in the bowl as I could feel the straw slide down the curvature....There could be fluid down the piston side....which is the bigger problem...But on a hard start when you are cranking for 20seconds....quite a bit of diesel gets injected before the start and that isn't a problem.

Where do I put a wrench to turn this puppy over all the way....at least one revolution of the fluiddampr....there's nothing on the Fluid damper but the mounting bolts.... a 1/2 inch socket hole would have been nice.

Keep the encouragement coming as I've pulled the last of my few hairs out trying to figure this one out... I'm gonna pull two more injectors then check back. kerry
Old 07-15-2007, 09:05 AM

Injectors 3 and 4 are out.....only a little diesel in there....I'm going to try to turn it over by hand first and if that works out ok then I'll disconnect the fuel to the CP3 and bump it to get rid of any fuel in the system and then crank it over for about 5 to 10 seconds then if that goes ok. I'm going to button it back up and hope that cylinders 5 and 6 eject what might be in there naturally.

If I can't turn it over by hand...5 and 6 injectors are coming out. Kerry
Old 07-15-2007, 09:30 AM

Got through one full cycle and a half....pistons 1 and 2 up and down....now back all the way up....Did it by hand just on the fluidampr. I got to the point where its really hard to turn....cylinders 5 and 6 must be on compression cycle. I'll try to get it by that then I'll crank it....I disconnected the lift pump and clamped the CP3 hose off. Hopefully this results in the least mess. Kerry
Old 07-15-2007, 09:57 AM

I did about 3 or 4 revolutions of the damper and there is one hard spot each time but If I can turn it with a 1 foot wrench....hopefully the starter can get it by it....when I stop to button things back up...I'll try to make sure its at the easy spot so hopefully I can get an ignition in a cylinder and I'll be off to the races.

There was a squirting sound on one of the revs just before it got hard....I think there is some liquid in 5 and 6 so hopefully it will exit on the exhaust stroke if I turn it over a couple more times and all will be good. Wish me luck.... Cause I may not be back on till its buttoned back up. Kerry
Old 07-15-2007, 10:01 AM
Banned

Hope it all works out but its going suck a bit if the starter turns up as being dead.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:04 AM
Banned

Man you work fast!

Sounds like it'll be ok. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
Old 07-15-2007, 10:06 AM

If you want to turn your engine over by hand without breaking a sweat get one of these Cummins barring tool
http://www.costplustools.com/store-p...OL_113012.html

just remove the cover plate on the bell housing, insert the tool and turn with a ratchet.

compressing water is not easily done I would pull all the injectors just to be sure this beast of a engine does not have water in it.

you should be able to just disconnect the power from the CP3 and that "should" disable it right??? yes I know that is something you want to be "SURE" of tho
Old 07-15-2007, 10:13 AM
Banned

Kerry, Don't give up man!!! It's gotta be frustrating... but you'll get it!!!

Old 07-15-2007, 10:20 AM

The running commentary makes me feel like I can almost hand you the next wrench. Makes me wish I was there and helping. I wish I was able to just jump in a do that level of work. Too old and don't have the place, equipment or knowledge.

I do know the frustration of trying to diagnose and fix issues with our modded engines.

I hope your outcome is on the good side. Good luck and please keep the information flowing. Much better than Horsepower TV that is for sure.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:55 AM

Injectors are back in but torque settings are forgotten for hold down bolts....I have a whole sheet of the torque values from the HG replacement...except for ....yep injector hold down bolts....so I checked injector 5....it was like 12 foot lb. These are only 8mm bolts but I keep thinking 18ft-lb. So I check the laptop ....for the 03DRM...file corrupted...no worky....NEVER TAKE THE LORDS NAME IN VAIN!!! Cause if you do....your forklift will calve, you will start a small fire and it will turn into a blaze that the neighbors call the fire dept on, your truck will hydrolock, you will run out of heating oil for your drying plant on the weekend, your well foot valve will fail, your basement will fill with water, you get the picture of my week....PRAY...

Anybody know the torque valve for the injector hold downs.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by abc4yew
Injectors are back in but torque settings are forgotten for hold down bolts....I have a whole sheet of the torque values from the HG replacement...except for ....yep injector hold down bolts....so I checked injector 5....it was like 12 foot lb. These are only 8mm bolts but I keep thinking 18ft-lb. So I check the laptop ....for the 03DRM...file corrupted...no worky....NEVER TAKE THE LORDS NAME IN VAIN!!! Cause if you do....your forklift will calve, you will start a small fire and it will turn into a blaze that the neighbors call the fire dept on, your truck will hydrolock, you will run out of heating oil for your drying plant on the weekend, your well foot valve will fail, your basement will fill with water, you get the picture of my week....PRAY...

Man we better chip in and send you a "cold beverage" care package!!!! I though I read somewhere on here where it was 18 foot lb tooo??? I will see if I can find out!!
Old 07-15-2007, 11:03 AM

89 in-lbs
Old 07-15-2007, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by abc4yew

It is 89 inch lbs for the injector hold down bolts. Are you running yet?
Old 07-15-2007, 11:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jeff K
89 in-lbs
Confirmed with the FSM.

Quick Reply: Super Duper in the Pooper HHHEEEELLLLPPP!!!!