3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Super Duper in the Pooper HHHEEEELLLLPPP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Super Duper in the Pooper HHHEEEELLLLPPP!!!!

Well I just got all spiffed up to go out meet my buds on the town and turn the truck over ...THUD. Again.....THUD...Turned on my personal freak meter and thought....Hydrolocked.

Pull the nozzle feeds off and one is drip drip dripping away....SNOW PERFORMANCE BOOST COOLERS are CRAP. Now from DZ2's post .....this is why you need a solenoid like COOLING MIST uses....solenoid on fluid in....Snows....gravity on...like it is 365 days a frickin year....check valve....drip, drip, drip.

Opened up the nozzle....stuck in a hose....yep sucked out some water.

Take off intake horn...1/8 inch of water on one end....3/8 inch water on the other end..... No where enough to make it to the intake runners so I'm stuck as to why this thing isn't able to start.

I ran the truck near 10 minutes after I had the water turned on but with the seepage who knows

I sponged out the water till it was near dry and tried it again...THUD

I'm beside myself ....unless this is the biggest coincidence ever and my starter is gone but the engine seems to start to turn over then locks.

I left the intake horn loose, I left the nozzle out and plugged in the block heater to see if the water that may be in the cylinders will evaporate over night...The engine was still warm when I went out as I had driven it 3 hours earlier.

Thank GOD I went out as if I didn't the intercooler and turbo would be filled by the afternoon when I went for a drive.

What should I do? and do you agree...I'm probably hydrolocked?

I'm only gonna be sober for another 15 minutes as after working all day on this and looking forward to going out all week and to have this happen I'm Edit OFF!!!! Kerry
Old 07-14-2007, 10:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my guess is you still have full cylinders like you said.....wounder how long it will take to evaporate???
maybe pop the injectors out disable the CP3 and turn the truck over to try and get it to shoot the water out threw the injectors holes???
man that seems like it would take a lot of water to lock one up??
do you think you bent or damaged anything by trying to start it??
Old 07-14-2007, 10:25 PM
Banned

I agree with ******* id atleast pull one of the injectors and run a syphone hose down the injector hole and see if you can get anything out of the cylinder or atleast see if thats your problem if so do it to all 6 cylinders or if not you only have one injector out and probably an hour or less invested in some more problem solving. I think the only reason snow sales so many kits is b/c his daughter is so HOT. LOL just thought id add that in their good luck man.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:26 PM

I really can't imagine there being much water in there at all. I went for a 30 minute drive and the water was on maybe 45 seconds of this. I can't imagine bending rods with the starter...It only engages then stops. The truck was running perfect up until I turned it off and it was nice and warm and there was no water in the truck....other than the drip drip.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:34 PM

I don't know what to say... If there is water in the cylinders, then it could also drop into the crankcase and mix with the oil. Might want to check oil level also. What the heck kind of check valve are they using in that setup?
Old 07-14-2007, 10:39 PM

Try putting a ratchet or breaker bar on the front crank pulley and see if you can turn it over by hand. If it turns over ok then you can suspect coincidence and the starter may have a bad solenoid or something, if it doesn't turn over then you know it is hydrolocked or something preventing the engine from physically turning over.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:53 PM
Banned

You need to turn it back wards. This will open the intake valve and push the water back out. If you filled one of the cylinders the engine would not have made a full turn before locking on the compression stroke so just back it up to dry it out.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:13 PM

if the bowl/s have some water I could see it locking up..when I tipped my rockcrawler over it locked up(with oil) but soon as I pulled just one plug and tried to fire it, it blew the oil all over the place and fired right up....
I guess the starter could be bad but the "THUD" is what gets me... when I think bad stater I think "click, click"
I cant see how you would clear the water by turning the crank backwards?????
the only way to get water out of the blows is to suck it out through the injector holes or blow it out..it probably wont turn by hand if it is locked...
I say pull one injector and try and suck some water out, if you get ANY water I would pull them all... disable the CP3 and crank it over to clear the rest..or suck it out.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:52 PM

The checkvalve is a plastic tube with a 5/16 ball bearing in it.... The warm boost sticks it closed.... The cool water opens it up. I knew I should have just replaced it with a good old brass checkvalve till the solenoid got put on....I still can't figure out how water got into the cylinders in enough volume to hydrolock a cylinder. After 3 hours sitting the seepage was about 4 oz. I guess one water nozzle with Max at 50psi would be enough flow....You'd think that at 1000degrees the water would go out the exhaust pretty quickly when it was running. I'm baffled but I'm going to pull an injector tomorrow I guess and check it out....I was hoping there was a simple solution...I'm going to check the DTC codes tomorrow. If there was only an ounce or two in each cylinder you would think that the block heater would evaporate it to vapor in each cylinder and it would go. Kerry
Old 07-15-2007, 12:01 AM
Banned

have you tried to roll it over by hand kerry?
Old 07-15-2007, 12:11 AM

if there is water in the bowls I bet it will take a LOOOOOONG time for the block heater to evaporate that away?????
Old 07-15-2007, 12:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 53 ******
if the bowl/s have some water I could see it locking up..when I tipped my rockcrawler over it locked up(with oil) but soon as I pulled just one plug and tried to fire it, it blew the oil all over the place and fired right up....
I guess the starter could be bad but the "THUD" is what gets me... when I think bad stater I think "click, click"
I cant see how you would clear the water by turning the crank backwards?????
the only way to get water out of the blows is to suck it out through the injector holes or blow it out..it probably wont turn by hand if it is locked...
I say pull one injector and try and suck some water out, if you get ANY water I would pull them all... disable the CP3 and crank it over to clear the rest..or suck it out.
I watched a guy hydrolock a 302 Cobra motor in a rockcrawler after rolling. Oil leaked into the cylinders when upside down and the starter was enough to hydrolock it. It's hard to believe a Cummins would hydrolock from just the starter though.

When I rolled mine and pulled the plugs it shot a ton of oil out all over the place.

As far as what to do now, I would do exactly what Mark suggests.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:39 AM

I'm gonna call my diesel mechanic buddy to come on over tomorrow...yep Sunday ...to help me tear it apart. Right now its sitting outside my processing building 1" inside the overhead door. I'm really hoping it doesn't rain tomorrow as my forklift is buggered right now and it is blocking getting the truck in....when it rains it pours.....bed time. I'll let you know what I find. I'm seriously rethinking the whole truck as a hobby thing....Hiking is a frick of alot more relaxing. Kerry
Old 07-15-2007, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by abc4yew
I'm gonna call my diesel mechanic buddy to come on over tomorrow...yep Sunday ...to help me tear it apart. Right now its sitting outside my processing building 1" inside the overhead door. I'm really hoping it doesn't rain tomorrow as my forklift is buggered right now and it is blocking getting the truck in....when it rains it pours.....bed time. I'll let you know what I find. I'm seriously rethinking the whole truck as a hobby thing....Hiking is a frick of alot more relaxing. Kerry
hahahah don't worry you will get it figured out
I love hiking too but you gotta have a fast smoky diesel to get you there right
let us know what you find
Old 07-15-2007, 06:41 AM

pull the injectors and crank it over. Then change the oil cause some water is bound to end up in the oil from getting past the rings and also while blowing it out of the cylinders

Quick Reply: Super Duper in the Pooper HHHEEEELLLLPPP!!!!