3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

SunCoast Flexplate and ATS Flexplate...What is the difference?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cquestad
Crash...what happened to your ATS tranny? HTS tranny? Now a Suncoast?

No, I have to fix my sig. I was talking to the shp who is putting my motor together for me and we were talking about HTS. I said we were putting one in my brothers truck and they let me know that is what is in mine. I told them I wanted a tranny that would hold up and told them I wanted Suncoast stuff, and HTS is what they got. I can say I am extremely happy.

The ATS, well after 4 full tranny's I had enough, come to find out it really looks like it was just the co-pilot causing the problems!
Old 02-16-2007, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by omaharam
Whose TC were you running? From what I understand from a VERY reliable source, the flexplate problems occur for 3 reasons. 1. Serious power - over 650. 2. Extremely heavy towing - 25k. 3. Improper plane alignment of the TC tabs. Then again, maybe some stockers are weaker than others for some reason. All I know is that mine is fine and I am not at all nice to my truck other than I don't do very high boosted launches.
My stock flexplate snapped with only a Power Pup, intake and exhaust!
Old 02-16-2007, 04:27 PM

Flex plates

Originally Posted by RamWheelsBy4
I have the Suncoast Laminated Flexplate now that the stocker ripped in two pieces. It is stock flexplate with second center section welded on and then rebalanced. Mine holds everything I can throw at it.
The key word,.... FLEX.

When I did my research, prior to buying mine, and the reason I chose the Suncoast was that most of the hottest trucks in the country, at the time, were in fact running this same flexplate. My reasoning,... if it will hold the power they are throwing at it then it will certainly handle anything I will throw at it,.... and it has. My $.02
Old 02-16-2007, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CrashCade
My stock flexplate snapped with only a Power Pup, intake and exhaust!
And probably a stock TC.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:25 PM

How I blew my flexplate

I was sitting at probably 450+ hp at the time. I was jumping on it and hit around 90mph at wot,... the key was there were some bumps and dips that I wasn't paying attention to,... that's what got me. With the stiff suspension that our trucks have then the road surface that you're getting it down on can be a killer. For probably 90% of the trucks on this forum the exact same thing could happen,..... if you're not running an aftermarket flexplate.

I knew better and I didn't get it handled. It cost me a bunch more money by waiting. In my case it was a virtual grenade and a sound I'm not looking forward to hearing ever again. I lost my rear main cap,... rear main seal,... bellhousing cracked and it destroyed the front hub on my ATS TC,... we all know how cheap they are. Big mistake. If you don't have one,... then you need to make it a priority.

Hope this helps someone who is on the fence.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by omaharam
And probably a stock TC.
That is true!

Wow, after talking with a few people I finally did track down exactly what is in my truck. It is a Suncoast built tranny. It took a little to figure it out...
Old 02-16-2007, 10:49 PM

why not just weld in a 2nd center section on a stock flexplate and have it rebalanced? Wouldnt that be cheaper???
Old 02-17-2007, 06:19 AM

Not a chance

Originally Posted by Spooler
For me it is not the power it is the weight and the fact that I pull a LQ horse trailer. Fully loaded I will be at 23,000lbs if not over. I was also considering the billet input shaft/drum. Being on the side of the road with the wife and horses is not what I would call fun. So I am weighing my options very closely. If I do the VB/TC I will also do the flexplate and input shaft for sure. When you modify things it always stresses something else out down the line. The next thing that may go would be the output shaft.
If you've been pulling that much over your rated amt then you need a lot more than the VB/TC. You need a whole maxed out Suncoast/ATS/DTT or your worst nightmare of being on the side of the road will be a reality. I guarantee you that when they tear your tranny down it is in trouble. FAct. In hindsight you are doing last what you should have done first,.... build the tranny.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Syndicate
why not just weld in a 2nd center section on a stock flexplate and have it rebalanced? Wouldnt that be cheaper???
I did not mean to make it sound like just welding the additional center section and balancing was all there was to it. I am sure there is a lot more to it than that. I am sure there was a fair amount of research to determine where to weld, type of weld, how to insure proper width at crucial points, how to do stress relief, balancing spec, etc.

But basically that is what done. My transmission and performance guru told me he was collecting them to do just that a couple of years ago.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:47 PM

Yep, bell housing, starter rebuild, torque converter, pump, and a full rebuild....If the flexplate goes bad and it can go real bad ...it gets very expensive....3 weeks of couriering around parts and getting shafts away from home is not good. I left the stock output shaft as my saving link for the driveline...its cheap and easy to fix. ks
Old 10-13-2008, 07:56 PM

I lost mine on a launch sunday....Hoe all that is wrong is the flexplate...I will replace the rear seal while I am there though.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:16 AM

A friend of mine had a ats flexplate and tranny and when he broke his input shaft he also bent his crank (my ats flexplate came out of my truck the next day.)
Old 10-14-2008, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Big C
A friend of mine had a ats flexplate and tranny and when he broke his input shaft he also bent his crank (my ats flexplate came out of my truck the next day.)

Thats crazy... First time I have heard of that. I do know I am going with the ATS flex plate. I will sleep better at night.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:23 AM

The ATS Flexplate...has NO flex. Its a choice...

Pros and cons to everything. It will never break...but something else might.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by cquestad
The ATS Flexplate...has NO flex. Its a choice...

Pros and cons to everything. It will never break...but something else might.
I am pretty sure I will not be putting the power down to break anything else. I am going to drop it in, I have billet shafts and torque converter. I am getting rid of the TST, removing the NO defuel option on my truck and should be okay to run ....eh 480-500 hp with my setup.

Quick Reply: SunCoast Flexplate and ATS Flexplate...What is the difference?