3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

SunCoast Flexplate and ATS Flexplate...What is the difference?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 07:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
SunCoast Flexplate and ATS Flexplate...What is the difference?

After all of the whinning I have been doing I am looking at upgrading the TC and VB. What is the difference between these 2 flexplates? Also thinking about a billet front shaft and hub. Looked at a manual but I can't find what I would want and would loose a few dollars in the deal for sure. Plus I would have to take all my stuff off and put it on a new truck. PITA Nothing wrong with mine I just don't care for the TC at all when pulling.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I very well might be wrong, but is one a laminate and the other a true billet piece?
Old 02-15-2007, 07:21 PM

Looking at the prices I would say the Suncoast is the laminate and the ATS is the true billet one. Only 75 dollars difference in price.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:49 PM

I have the suncoast model, has been working good for me so far, find out this summer after a full season of racing and towing

Kevin
Old 02-15-2007, 09:28 PM

I have a billet ATS and it is tough ...some think it is too tuff ... like Opie of Intelligent Engineering billet shafts. Opie will only warranty his shafts for certain flex plates and the Suncoast is one he endorses and ATS is not. The ATS is way stouter than stock and the Suncoast is more like a doubled up stocker with better welds. Both will hold alot of power. I suppose the Suncoast will flex more like the flexplate was intended. I have heard of one ATS billet input shaft shearing off inside the TC with a billet flexplate. It was a heavily used sled pulling truck. ks
Old 02-15-2007, 09:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Suncoast Laminated Flexplate now that the stocker ripped in two pieces. It is stock flexplate with second center section welded on and then rebalanced. Mine holds everything I can throw at it.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:01 PM

I also have a Suncoast also, and it holds great

Trending Topics

Old 02-15-2007, 11:17 PM

Same here, SunCoast is doing nice.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:34 AM

another one here with the suncoast, I bought it to run with their converter.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:40 AM

I have the Billet ATS piece. I had it when I put the ATS tranny in. When I switched over to an HTS tranny, I couldn't justify pulling it out to put a laminate in.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:45 AM

Crash...what happened to your ATS tranny? HTS tranny? Now a Suncoast?
Old 02-16-2007, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Spooler
After all of the whinning I have been doing I am looking at upgrading the TC and VB. What is the difference between these 2 flexplates? Also thinking about a billet front shaft and hub. Looked at a manual but I can't find what I would want and would loose a few dollars in the deal for sure. Plus I would have to take all my stuff off and put it on a new truck. PITA Nothing wrong with mine I just don't care for the TC at all when pulling.
If you don't plan to go really big on power, just do the TC/VB and save some money. I still have the stock flexplate in mine.

Ok guys, let me have it, I know it's coming.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:07 AM

OK here it goes, with that same turbo I broke my stock flexplate. I had the ppe hot and tst pmcr though.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:25 AM

For me it is not the power it is the weight and the fact that I pull a LQ horse trailer. Fully loaded I will be at 23,000lbs if not over. I was also considering the billet input shaft/drum. Being on the side of the road with the wife and horses is not what I would call fun. So I am weighing my options very closely. If I do the VB/TC I will also do the flexplate and input shaft for sure. When you modify things it always stresses something else out down the line. The next thing that may go would be the output shaft.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by maddog madden
OK here it goes, with that same turbo I broke my stock flexplate. I had the ppe hot and tst pmcr though.
Whose TC were you running? From what I understand from a VERY reliable source, the flexplate problems occur for 3 reasons. 1. Serious power - over 650. 2. Extremely heavy towing - 25k. 3. Improper plane alignment of the TC tabs. Then again, maybe some stockers are weaker than others for some reason. All I know is that mine is fine and I am not at all nice to my truck other than I don't do very high boosted launches.

Quick Reply: SunCoast Flexplate and ATS Flexplate...What is the difference?