3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Suncoast Converter problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Suncoast Converter problems

Just wondering if there was anyone out there that has had any problems with a Suncoast Triple-disc converter.
It appears that my converter seized and would not unlock causing me to snap my second billet input shaft in 3 months. I still have a stock output shaft in the tranny which should be my weak link.
The first shaft that failed was a TCS shaft that was supposedly defective. When I had it fixed, which wasn't cheap,I insisted on having a Sonnax shaft installed. This one failed upon decelerating as I was getting off of the highway. The mechanic that did the removal today says that it appears to still be locked up.
Since the first shaft broke, I have removed my Dr. P box and turned down my Smarty as well because I cannot afford to keep putting more money into a $6000 tranny. Now I have a second failure that is making me sick to my stomach.
Has anyone else heard of any problems with Suncoast converters?
Old 11-25-2008, 09:21 PM

Is the trans suncoast also? If so i would insist that they look into the issue and possibly warranty all the parts and work. I have a suncoast TC and have had nothing but good luck with it. You would know if the converter was locked upon decel because it would lug the engine like if you forgot to push in the clutch before coming to a stop on a manual trans truck.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:34 PM

The tranny is not a Suncoast, and they shall remain nameless, for now...
Old 11-25-2008, 10:10 PM

Could it be that the valve body may not be set correctly and have too much line pressure when the converter locks?
Old 11-28-2008, 02:19 PM

i dont see how that would cause the shaft to break. where exactly are they breaking at?