3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Streetable Horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Streetable Horsepower

I am interested in increasing the performance on my truck (2004 with 305 HP engine) considerably. I had a 6.0 PSD that I had at 410 RWHP and it was smooth as silk on the street.

How much HP can you get from a CTD and still have it sound and act like stock (or close)? Lets say you get a TST box and go up from there. I know it sounds like I want the best of both worlds - I do.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:14 PM

Well with either the new TST box or the Edge Juice you will be over that 400hp mark already and it will be very streetable. You just need exhaust, intake and some guages.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:23 PM

Mopar_Mudder

The TST claims to add 150 HP (is that rear wheel?). I dont know about the Edge.

My 2004 is rated at 305 flywheel HP. That translates to about 250 RWHP. If the TST is going to get 150 RWHP then you are right.

How much further can you go and still have the quiet, smoothness I now enjoy?

I see some Duramaxes who are getting 500 RWHP and are everyday drivers, but I dont know how comfortable they are.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:33 PM

Yes they are rear wheel.

As far and how much, well as much as you can aford.

Their are guys running in the 600-700 area I belive with twin turbos and such, still steetable. You aren't making that much power unless you are really standing on it, one nice thing about a diesel.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:39 PM

Re: Streetable Horsepower

Originally posted by GeorgiaCracker
. . . I had a 6.0 PSD that I had at 410 RWHP and it was smooth as silk on the street. . .
With a description like that, I'm curious as to why you got rid of it

The Boss Hog
(......................?)
Old 01-20-2004, 08:34 AM

Why Sell a 6.0 PSD?

Hog,

I loved the truck, and with my TS Instigator it would fly. Dynoed at 135 MPH. The V-8 is smooth but it was noisy and had too much variability in its performance. Rolling idle, main seal leak, and other strange stuff. Motor needs a couple more years of duty to work out the bugs.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Mopar_Mudder
Well with either the new TST box or the Edge Juice you will be over that 400hp mark already and it will be very streetable. You just need exhaust, intake and some guages.
I wouldn't exactly call that a safe recommendation if you intend to use the full power output of the TST box. Georgia, did you mention what transmission you have? If you have the auto and want any longevity out of it, some beefing up will probably be required from the folks at DTT or ATS to name a few.. You may also have to upgrade the turbo. Nobody knows what the exhaust temps will be with the new boxes, but adding 150HP worth of fuel and timing is going to increase the EGTS without question

I can't wait to see what these new boxes do!
Old 01-24-2004, 10:45 AM

I would have to agree with Lightman. I have talked to several people about the new TST box and most agree if you want to use the full potential of the box a new turbo is going to be in order. If all you want to do is dyno big numbers you might get away without one. Once these boxes are tested we might find with a proper turbo that they will make bigger numbers than advertised as maybe you will be able to better burn the fuel , then again maybe not. Adding injectors to the boxes will deffinately put you into new turbo areas. Sorry for the long post but I am frustrated with all the speculation and I want my box. Although I do want it right when I get it.
Jason
Old 01-25-2004, 02:22 AM

the weak links of the 3rd gens are coming to light more and more. when you talk about power enhancements, you need to understand the difference between a short burst on a dyno and sustained performance on the street. early on, there were guys with the bullydog box dynoing at very impressive numbers totally stock, or even with an intake box and exhaust. speculation went kind of wild there for a bit about how capable the 03 platform was.

But really the stock turbo is nearly maxed out the way it is now -- IF your're talking about sustained performance. some are saying 325HP (sustained) is about the limit for the stock turbo if you have air and exhaust.

Those of us contemplating the TST box are realizing that 150 extra ponies will put us at about 400 RWHP, and that takes a serious turbo like the B1 to accodate that kind of sustained power. So with EGT-based fuel cutback, this box looks to be workable on a stock truck but it will be hamstrung because the sustained, usable horsepower is no where near that.

Personally, I'm coming to realize that to make full use of the TST box will require upgrades to the low pressure fuel system, intake, exhaust, and the stock turbo has to go bye bye.

We're talking B1, Scotty air, 4" exhaust, in addition to fuel upgrades.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:07 AM
JKE

I don't think so...check with Wildcat Diesel....Rod posts on here... cannot go wrong with DD or Wildcat. This is of course just my opinion...not connected to either,,,JKE
Old 01-26-2004, 09:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Piers is selling the b1 line - check their site.