3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Street / Strip Wheels and Tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 04:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Street / Strip Wheels and Tires

Okay, this truck is not the tow rig or wanna be semi heavy hauler. It's a have fun at the strip and behave on the street type of deal. Anyways, I am looking at tires and wheels now, and have narrowed it down to the following and need some objective advice from the gurus here. Subjective tips welcome as well.

Wheels: Jesse James Lawless 8

Tires: Toyo Proxes S/T

I am having a time finding tires are 33" in diameter or less, 12" + wide, and for 20" rims. These Toyos in 325 50 R20 seem to fit the ticket well, but are only rated at 120V versus the stock of 121R. I think that isn't going to be an issue, but I would rather know that it won't be one.

Other tires I have looked at include Nitto Terra Grappler AT and Pirelli Scorpion ATR.

Thoughts?

Thanks all!
Old 08-05-2008, 02:08 PM

I have ran the proxes and they are good street tires. ive had a couple sets of them they just to wear out fast on the street. some drag racers seem to use them they are alot lighter also compared to a big mud tire I like them when I had them
Old 08-05-2008, 10:46 PM

Appreciate the thoughts!

How many miles did they last you?

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2008, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by gsdog1
Appreciate the thoughts!

How many miles did they last you?

Thanks!
I cant really say for sure. I traded them here recently and the kid who got them wore them out very fast . as for my past experiences I had them on a 02 chevy and ran them for a long time and traded them also and probably got 50k miles total out of them. I know our trucks are harder on tires because of how much they weigh but If I go with another street tire again it will probably be them. I know John_P went with a set and does more drag racing than me but I dont know if he still has them I havent seen his truck in a while.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:42 PM

I am running the Toyo in a 305/50/22 and have had them on my truck for about 20K miles and they seem to be wearing pretty decent. Good all around tire can probably get another 20K pretty easily. I take them off in the winter because they suck in the snow, if you'd be running them that long. Pretty good tire though super quiet and handle great.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:00 PM
Banned

I have been running 305/50/20 proxes for about a year only have 15k miles on them but seem to be wearing good. They are super quiet an handle great as stated also work great at track but suck on wet roads.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:58 PM

How much are those Proxes??? Wheres the best place to get them??
Old 08-06-2008, 04:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never had good luck running the Toyo proxes, but then again I live in the country. I'd look at the Nitto Dura Grapplers. I love mine so far, they grip beetr than my terra grapplers did on the street, and they are wearing great!!! They have a much higher treadwear rating (600) than the Toyos (420). I also liked my terra grapplers, but they had to be rebalanced every 5,000 miles on my truck with 20s.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Blevins

Discount Tire through the Ebay website have great prices, and good service. If you have any issues, you can go to your local DTC and they will take care of it. Oh and, they usually have tire sources close by so the shipping is pretty fast too.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:50 PM

I know running on stock tires at the strip isnt very fun...its terrifying. Better then my old 35" bajas. I will be running M@H drag radials in the future.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by jwb600
I cant really say for sure. I traded them here recently and the kid who got them wore them out very fast . as for my past experiences I had them on a 02 chevy and ran them for a long time and traded them also and probably got 50k miles total out of them. I know our trucks are harder on tires because of how much they weigh but If I go with another street tire again it will probably be them. i know John P went with a set and does more drag racing than me but I dont know if he still has them I havent seen his truck in a while.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
gsdog1:

As Jesse (jwb600) said, I am running the "Toyo Proxes ST" Tires on my 1996 Dodge CTD 12 valve which I drag race and dyno ALOT! I absolutely LOVE the tires! I am on my second set right now and paid $117.00 a piece for the new ones. My 1996 Dodge CTD has 16" rims and I am running the largest "Toyo Proxes ST" made for the 16" wheel with a 275/70R/16. FWIW, these Toyo Proxes ST Tires gave me as good a 60ft time in the 1/4 mile as a "Hoosier Drag Radial" did! I was pretty surprised at that.

My first set lasted me almost 24,000 miles. That was with regular rotation and balancing about every 3,000 miles and I did it religously. They are a "soft compound" tire with a 139MPH speed rating on them which I really like for drag racing. I also feel that the tires work GREAT on the Mustang 1250 Dual Roller Dynos, as you can air them down and really get some good traction between those dual rollers, which I could never really get when I had "B.F. Goodrich Radial All-Terrrain Tires" on the truck.

I would look on-line for the Toyo Proxes ST Tires. They have some real good prices on them there. One last thing,.....Toyo is getting ready to release a new Toyo Proxes ST which has an even more aggressive tread and should be out soon.

Hope this has helped you some.

---------
John_P
Old 08-06-2008, 10:25 PM

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the input!

Old 08-13-2008, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Blevins
for my truck 4 tires 305/50/20 mounted/balanced were 742 @ tire barn brand new. I will back up what Xtremeflow said also the tires are very quiet for their size and like John P said excellent speed rating thats why I bought a set also
Old 08-13-2008, 12:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We spec the Toyo Proxes S/T for both drag racing and dyno runs, since they are the best combination of low mass, loaded diameter, tread width, weight capacity, speed rating, compound durometer and price. I don't recommend them for daily driving unless the truck is light/unloaded, because they are on the soft side and the weight capacity isn't confidence-inspiring.

For 3rd Gens, the 285/60/R17 weighs 42# with a 13.7" loaded radius, has an 11.5" tread with a 2601# weight capacity and a V speed rating.

They make a big difference because of the large reduction in rotating mass, for quicker response on the dyno as well as improved 60'ers (of course they help all they to the stripe on the big end of the track!). On 6-spd trucks they allow 3rd gear launches, thus eliminating a gear change - especially since it's the one that is easiest to miss, and typically happens during the 60'.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:57 PM

on the ones I had the load rating was 3086 and I pulled a an older ford 4x4 on a car trailer and the tires performed fine. that are not a ten ply E load range trailer tire but they didnt wonder all over the road and I would say that was 6000 lbs behind my truck so they are still usable to tow something light

Quick Reply: Street / Strip Wheels and Tires