3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Straight Piped the 3rd Gen!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 12:52 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Straight Piped the 3rd Gen!!!

Okay,

I know this has been repeated over and over again but I just had to post it one more time. I ordered the muffler elimination kit form Geno’s and it is awesome. I was leary about straight piping a 3rd Gen truck because of some of the other post that I have read. But if you have any doubts about this mod do not hesitate to do it. I finally got to talk to a guy that had straight piped his 3rd Gen truck and it sounded great! Granted it is louder but it is not that loud. Expecially in the cab. Unless you really get on it, it is not that bad. Outside though is another question. It sounds like a big rig and you really can hear the turbo sing!

Happy I did it and I think you will be too.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:19 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm thinking of doing the same after I get my DPPI exhaust on. If the DPPI muffler doesn't give me enough of that sound I want then I'm planning to order the muffler delete pipe from them and take the muffler off. The only thing that concerns about that that is the fact that there will be no support between the turbo and the tailpipe (no more muffler hangers).

Although, the DPPI muffler is practically a straight pipe anyway. I'm not sure that a straight pipe would be much louder than the muffler.

Now I need to get out there and get that thing put on....
Old 06-09-2004, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your right the straight pipe is loud outside when ya get on her.......I also got mine at Geno's
Old 06-09-2004, 09:30 PM

I LIKE THE SOUND OF THE 1ST & 2ND GENS STRAIGHT PIPED. NOT THE 3RD. MINE WAS STRAIGHT PIPED ABOUT A WEEK. DIDNT LIKE THE SOUND . IT NOW SOUNDS SO MUCH BETTER.. I DID ENJOY SETTING OFF CAR ALARMS IN PARKING GARAGES !
Old 06-10-2004, 12:14 AM

I put the straight pipe on mine and it seems OK. The only question is towing. I pulled a boat a short distance (100 miles each way). It was tolerable. I am pulling my 9k-13k (depending on load) trailer 320 miles each way this weekend. I'm thinking it's going to get a Donaldson muffler shortly after that. It is pretty loud when pulling hard. It did make the boat seem quieter after being subjected to the "drone" for a couple of hours. YMMV.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:38 AM

I think it sounds great with a manual trans but sounds a little off with the auto. I just wish stacks didn't cost so much.......
Old 06-10-2004, 05:24 PM

Where is the info on the donaldson muffer?
Old 06-10-2004, 06:06 PM

Search...plenty of dicussions on the forum.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:06 PM

I love my lack of a muffler
Old 06-11-2004, 06:42 PM

Just got done installing my MEP from Geno's. They sent me the pipe and a clamp which had a hanger welded to the clamp.

It worked out good installing it. The downside about the install was that the factory tightened down the clamps WAY TO TIGHT. It bent the medal in alot. I took the truck to a local muffler shop and they did the work for 50 bucks. They were mad becuase the clamps were on so tight that it required a air chisel to take the muffler off!

On the install of the MEP they just clamped the pipe on and that was it, very easy.

The sound difference was not that bad. The drone did happen in 1st-3rd gear. The higher gears it wasn't as bad. This was with a empty truck.

The following was taken with a sound level meter while the truck was in nutral and idling.

WITH OEM MUFFLER
Dba=Decibles
82 Dba from 5 feet away

75 Dba from 10 feet away

WITH MEP (no muffler)
85 Dba from 5 feet away

79 Dba from 10 feet away

The above readings were on a "C" scale which means the sound meter reads all sounds on the scale from high to low.

However....

The readings shot up dramatically when you put your foot to the pedal and reach 2100 rpm's or so in nutral.

From 10 feet away it read 98 Dba. That is considerable loudness. The drone sound was present and the turbo sound could be heard quite easily above 1700rpm's.

If you want the big rig sound then don't hesitate to take the muffler off. But it is a ear opener when there is no muffler.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:44 PM

Bet it sounds just like mine..........
Old 06-11-2004, 08:47 PM

I had mine straight for a number of months and liked it a lot using just some 4" aluminized from a local truck parts dealer and some muffler shop hooks. Very cheap. Then I got a high fever and put a Magnaflow 23" straight through "resonator on and 2 45 degree elbows-w-a 4"downpipe from the turbo exiting in front of the rear tire. Just something diferrent hoping that eliminating the axle hump would lower EGT's but if I got 50 degree drop I'd be suprised. It does sound great and, again, was inexpensive. I have a Miller 135 and fully welded all the joints which to me is important. I dispise clamps due to the fact that getting them tight enough means pinching the inner pipe and makes taking them apart a bear. I did have to fab up some hangers I am not too proud of and the 45's can be seen so I am going to make a rectangular tip ALA Nascar to go from the rear of the step the the front of the rear wheel well maybe something like 8"X3" would look cool. I'm thinking polished aluminum unless I feel like bringing it to a sheet metal shop (a drawing I mean) And have them do it in stainless. This would hide the whole deal if I can fab it properly. I will use a cardboard mock-up 1st.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:40 PM

Just got back from Mammoth. I pulled a 12k 35'er usually above 65mph. It was not as bad as I thought it would be. I'm keeping mine straight for a while. We'll see what it sounds like with a box on it.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:36 PM

The box will REALLY wake up the exhaust note! Had my stacks straight for awhile and loved the sound but couldn't take it towing. I added the 40" Donaldson and now, even with the stacks, towing is waaaaaay better than it was with the original DPPI system and guess what....

NO FLIPPIN' DRONE !!!!!

Heaven on Earth.....
Old 06-19-2004, 05:04 AM

The only thing that could be sweeter is above the body line exits ,thru the bumper or body panel. I don't see how the rear bed(box) panel will work with that spring pearch there ! Anyone know of somebody that cut out the bumper ?