3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Straight Piped '06?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Straight Piped '06?

I was wondering if anyone may have some sound clips of an '06 straight piped all the way. No cat., and no muffler. I have been thinking about doing a muffler delete, but I'm not for sure how loud it's going to be. The Banks muffler is just to quite. It does sound pretty good when you accelerate hard though, but doesn't have enough sound driving around. If no sound clips, then what are everyone's personal opinions as far as straight piping? Just trying to get some kind of idea. I'm not worried about drone either. My hot rod has plenty of that.

Any sound clips from '03 to an '07 would work.

Thanks, ERIC
Old 09-01-2007, 03:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Performance
I was wondering if anyone may have some sound clips of an '06 straight piped all the way. No cat., and no muffler. I have been thinking about doing a muffler delete, but I'm not for sure how loud it's going to be. The Banks muffler is just to quite. It does sound pretty good when you accelerate hard though, but doesn't have enough sound driving around. If no sound clips, then what are everyone's personal opinions as far as straight piping? Just trying to get some kind of idea. I'm not worried about drone either. My hot rod has plenty of that.

Any sound clips from '03 to an '07 would work.

Thanks, ERIC
4" straight pipes are Loud and raspy for some reason... I had my 5" straigh piped and it was just bone chattering... But there is a ton of difference between the two... I think I can find you a clip...
Old 09-01-2007, 03:42 PM

Cool, Shane. I love a 2nd Gen straight piped, but I don't think my '06 would sound like that. I do have a 4" exhaust, but my tailpipes are only 3.5".
Old 09-01-2007, 03:44 PM
Banned

Here is the only sound clip I have of mine straight piped Hope it helps. I like mine but I think I'm goin to 6" miters. With 35" tires the drone is not bad. It is a 5" turbo back no kitty or muffler
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oFCi...elated&search=
Old 09-01-2007, 03:50 PM

That sounds pretty good with the 5", bluechrome. But, how much different is it compared to a 4"?
Old 09-01-2007, 03:57 PM
Banned

Like others have said it is very raspy to me. I first got a muffler delete and it sounded cool but to me the 5" is a deeper more big rig sound. I will tell you that with the stock tires there was heavy drone more with the 5" then the 4".
If I were you I would do 5" it looks better and sounds better and its pennies on the dollar.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMWNP...elated&search=

You can hear the rasp in this one..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IvCg...elated&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTM296NlxRE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDvU4lkv9FA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Alq-P...elated&search=
Old 09-01-2007, 04:00 PM
Banned

That sounds pretty good with the 5", bluechrome. But, how much different is it compared to a 4"?

A bunch.. You wouldn't think so but the tone and deepness is not even close.. Like blue said 5" is a better and bigger sound...

On another note. I love the grille on your truck!!!!
Old 09-01-2007, 04:21 PM

Thanks, Shane. The grille turned out nicer than what I thought it would.

I see what you guys are saying. The 4" is a little raspy. I would love to have a 5" kit, but I have just had this dual kit a year now. As you know, Banks stuff isn't cheap. On that note, that was the first and last time I will buy from Banks. I didn't know any better at first. Live and learn. Anyway, I might have to keep what I got. Do you think the duals would help with the 4" being raspy? I like the sound other than that. A friend of mine at work has a 4" straight piped exhaust on his '98 which doesn't sound raspy at all. Is there that much difference in the year models?
Old 09-01-2007, 04:35 PM
Banned

Thanks, Shane. The grille turned out nicer than what I thought it would.

I see what you guys are saying. The 4" is a little raspy. I would love to have a 5" kit, but I have just had this dual kit a year now. As you know, Banks stuff isn't cheap. On that note, that was the first and last time I will buy from Banks. I didn't know any better at first. Live and learn. Anyway, I might have to keep what I got. Do you think the duals would help with the 4" being raspy? I like the sound other than that. A friend of mine at work has a 4" straight piped exhaust on his '98 which doesn't sound raspy at all. Is there that much difference in the year models?
The new common rail motors soound way different that the older ones.. The injection sequence and what not smooth's out the newer motors.. I had duals on my 05 but it was 5" turbo back into 4" duals and sounded real good!!
Old 09-01-2007, 04:50 PM

Ok, personal opinion? Try the muffler delete or just leave it alone? I am stuck! The problem is that the MBRP delete pipe is 30" long. That is just long enough to take the muffler off. So if I don't like the delete, it will be hard to get the muffler back on fitting good. Also my exhaust is fully welded up!
Old 09-01-2007, 04:55 PM
Banned

Ok, personal opinion? Try the muffler delete or just leave it alone? I am stuck! The problem is that the MBRP delete pipe is 30" long. That is just long enough to take the muffler off. So if I don't like the delete, it will be hard to get the muffler back on fitting good. Also my exhaust is fully welded up!
Try it. You can get band clamps that cover 4" or so... cut the muffler out as straight as possible put the delete in and use th 4" band clamps. If you likey take the clamps off weld as much as you can and then put the clamps on for added security if it's too loud put the muffler back on and repeat welding with clamps until you find what your after.. Donaldson makes some killer mufflers and cheap... That's what I am running..!!
Old 09-01-2007, 05:38 PM

Ok, thanks buddy. I might just try it.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:48 PM

I like my mega with muff delete. My buddy got a 4" banks system and he gets the bad drone. He rode with me once and he is now thinking of pulling banks off and do muff. delete
Old 09-01-2007, 06:02 PM

I like my Mega with the ME also, no drone. I left the CAT for 2 reasons - warranty and the EPA stuff. Some states will ticket you if you remove the CAT. Since I travel a lot, I really did not want to deal with and out of state fix it ticket and the fines can be pretty steep too. DC does not really have an opinion about the ME, but they DO have a BIG problem about the CAT delete. I know of two people who got into big-time warranty issues over removing the CAT, finally they just put it back on to apease everyone.

Sorry you got bitten by the Banks bug, many people have also, kinda like a computer virus, eh? Banks stuff just doesn't seem to get along well with our trucks, maybe OK for GM's and Fords, but the Dodge is a critter all of it's own.

CD

Quick Reply: Straight Piped '06?