3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Straight Pipe/Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Straight Pipe/Muffler

Just a quick question......when you guys talk about straight pipes, are you suggesting removing the CAT and running a straight pipe all the way back or are you talking about removing the muffler and running a straight pipe from the CAT back?
Old 05-26-2005, 10:55 PM

usually straight pipe means taking everthing out and running a pipe from front to back with nothing in between...but before doing that you might want to check with local laws about removing the CAT and running it on the street. Also running without a muffler gets really loud.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:36 AM

Would it be better then to remove the CAT and run a straight tube back? Is this what some guys are referring to when they say that they ran a straight pipe and put the 4040Auroturbine as far forward as possible? Will this effect the performance computer in any way? Will this void any of the warranty by DC?
Old 05-27-2005, 01:03 AM

One more question.....are you guys saying that the 2004 Dodge does NOT have the CAT?
Old 05-27-2005, 01:09 AM

2004.5 does, 2004 doesnt

i cut them both off. if i have to do emissions testing ill just buy a cat. it sounds too good, and its quiet on the highway
Old 05-27-2005, 01:48 AM

What did you put in its place? Just a straight pipe? Or some sort of muffler to drown out the noise?
Old 05-27-2005, 11:03 AM

a long piece of 4" pipe. some people need their pipes to be bent but just a straight piece worked great. its quiet on the highway and thats what matters. i can shake house windows from 100' away when i take off. its been proven
Old 05-28-2005, 01:51 PM

jwhip.

I noticed you're in AZ. So am I. If you have a cat on your truck and cut it off, you may have to replace it when you have to start emmissions testing, assuming you live in the Phoenix or Tucson areas.

Depending on your sensitivity to sound or noise, you may want to be a little careful about what you choose for an exhaust system.

I've heard that the straight pipes will give a "bra-a-a-a-a-p-p-p" sound as you accelerate above the 2100 rpm range. Some people like it, some don't.

On my truck, I went with a 14" Magnaflow muffler, mounted behind the header pipe, with a 4" piece of aluminized pipe to the tail pipe section. We cut the 3-1/2" section off the tailpipe and welded the 4" alum. section to it. It is definately louder, especially around 2100-2300 rpms. If you are pulling a trailer up a hill in the 2100-2300 rpm range, you get the "dreaded drone". It's LOUD! But, it doesn't bother me. However, my buddy and I drove from Phoenix to Quartzite, last winter, without the trailer, and by the time we got back, he had a headache from the noise. He told his brother that he thought I was nuts to have done that to my truck. They both drive Duramaxes partly because they are the quietest diesel. Personally, I like the sound. Even drive with the radio off, quite often. Maybe, I am nuts! I find the Duramaxes boring to drive. They don't have much of a personality. Kind of like driving a Harley with quiet mufflers. Not much fun, to me.

If you like the sounds the truck makes, you may want to consider removing the silencer ring, going to an aftermarket air cleaner system, like the AFE ProGuard-7 with the Torque Tube. That will REALLY amplify the turbo sound. It will sound like the intake on an F-16 accelerating down the runway.

All of this stuff is kind of personal preference. I drove, with my trailer, over 8000 miles, on one trip to Thunder in Muncie, last year. I loved the sound of my truck. That trip would have KILLED my buddies with the Duramaxes.

I hope some of this helps you in your decision.

Joe F.(Buffalo)
Old 05-28-2005, 04:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just finished putting a five in exhaust on my 04 had to leave the stock downpipe because the parts people sent the wrong downpipeto me but its LOUD. I love it just make sure you get a tip that you can push out past the rear fender a few inches otherwise you cant hardly hear youself think for the vibes at heavy throttle. Doesn't sound as good as the 2nd gens because of dc screwing up the fuel injection. Makes a more raspy sound than just raw diesel power. on these new trucks bigger is better. Heard on a few months ago that was just straight piped with 3.5 in., sounded like he had a fart can off a ricer under the poor truck. thats what made me spend the money for the five inch "only way to go" imo. turbo sounds awesome as well with that on therereally hear it spool especially when coming down off throttle. I like
Old 05-28-2005, 06:56 PM

^^^Lets here it!
Old 05-28-2005, 08:43 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I don't necessarily want a loud exhoust. I want it to sound cool but I really don't want it loud. I'd like for it to be as quiet as the stock muffler (if that's possible) but I'm not willing to sacrifice performance. So I guess what I really want is the quietest yet open muffler system that's out there that sounds cool. That's why I can't decide whether to replace the muffler with a Donaldson, or go with the 4040auroturbine, MBRP, Magnaflow etc...
Old 05-29-2005, 05:49 AM
abb

I had a magnaflow with my 03 with 4' pipes it droned a little pulling at highway speeds but not to loud thinking of going with it again in the new trk It sounds really good on the take off
Old 05-29-2005, 06:02 AM

Originally posted by jwhip
Thanks for all the replies. I don't necessarily want a loud exhoust. I want it to sound cool but I really don't want it loud. I'd like for it to be as quiet as the stock muffler (if that's possible) but I'm not willing to sacrifice performance. So I guess what I really want is the quietest yet open muffler system that's out there that sounds cool. That's why I can't decide whether to replace the muffler with a Donaldson, or go with the 4040auroturbine, MBRP, Magnaflow etc...
Sounds like a donaldson may be a good option for you. Good flow without all the noise and a deeper tone.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:22 AM
Banned

jwhip,

Get our MBRP performance replacement muffler, leave the cat alone for now and try it. If you're like 99% of all the others that have doen that you'll love it. It bolts right on, even has welded hangers that re use the stock rubber mounts etc to make installation very easy. Now later if you want more get the cat test pipe from us.
Call if you have any questions etc.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 05-31-2005, 03:03 PM

Check out www.rpmoutlet.com got a Motoblue 4 in dual system and and AEM intake for less then the MBRP and Silverline systems and she sounds like an f-15 now baby !!! Sounds great at idle and a bit louder around town but no louder on the highway . EVERYBODY and their brother wants to race you when they see those monster tips hanging out back !!!

Quick Reply: Straight Pipe/Muffler