3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

straight pipe on a 06 mage cab

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 01:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Guys have dynoed with stock exhaust and no exhaust whatsoever. You'd think that to get mileage you'd have to see some power increase with no exhaust, but from what they tell us, there is no gain in HP even removing the exhaust completely.

That said, could a loud exhaust improve mileage? Kind of. If you had the exhaust run right into your cab and it screamed every time you touched the throttle you'd probably ease into the throttle as much as possible and coast as much as possible.

I just bought my daughter a Honda Fit, a tiny little four banger and she was getting 38mpg with it. I took it out for a while and filled it up and ran it 45 miles babying the heck out of it, driving like an old grandma. I was able to get 54 mpg average. That got her attention and she is using some of my advice and is now getting 45 mpg average!
Old 04-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Lost Lake
Guys have dynoed with stock exhaust and no exhaust whatsoever. You'd think that to get mileage you'd have to see some power increase with no exhaust, but from what they tell us, there is no gain in HP even removing the exhaust completely.

That said, could a loud exhaust improve mileage? Kind of. If you had the exhaust run right into your cab and it screamed every time you touched the throttle you'd probably ease into the throttle as much as possible and coast as much as possible.

I just bought my daughter a Honda Fit, a tiny little four banger and she was getting 38mpg with it. I took it out for a while and filled it up and ran it 45 miles babying the heck out of it, driving like an old grandma. I was able to get 54 mpg average. That got her attention and she is using some of my advice and is now getting 45 mpg average!
That would help with mileage!!
Old 04-13-2012, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rockcrawler304
You will not see any gains in MPG with any exhaust system for your truck.

10-4, Thanks

Should I put the convertor back on?
Old 04-15-2012, 06:38 PM

My 2 cents
internal combustion engines are air pumps. I have always believed that an exhaust without an intake and vise versa is a waste of time and money. you cant shove air in if you dont provide a means for it to go out efficiently. And if you open the *** end without giving it more intake you arent increasing the pumping capacity. if your gona do one over the other exhaust would b my choice. after all that bs, what im trying to say is tune your engine with a matched "flow system" (intake and exhaust) to gain hp and mpg efficiancy.

whew that was more like a nickle!!!
Old 04-15-2012, 07:03 PM

My two cents. Of the six dodge cummins trucks I have owned, straight-piping my 06 was the absolute worst mod I've done. Sound was absolutely horrible and drone was even worse. I wish that I would have left exhaust stock. Just my experience. The truck will never sound like a 12v.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:36 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by simoniz
10-4, Thanks

Should I put the convertor back on?
Up to you. I would leave it off until the gov. forces you to put it back on!