3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

straight pipe on a 06 mage cab

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
straight pipe on a 06 mage cab

I was talking to a local guy about my truck. He asked me if I had cut my converter out and went to a straight pipe. I told him no. He said I would gain 1 to 2 miles per gallon]?? Any truth to that? My truck is a 06 Mega with 2" leveling kit and Nitto 295 tires with a smarty. Should I cut the converter out and go with the straight pipe? Any reason not to?

Thanks
Old 11-22-2008, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by simoniz
I was talking to a local guy about my truck. He asked me if I had cut my converter out and went to a straight pipe. I told him no. He said I would gain 1 to 2 miles per gallon]?? Any truth to that? My truck is a 06 Mega with 2" leveling kit and Nitto 295 tires with a smarty. Should I cut the converter out and go with the straight pipe? Any reason not to?

Thanks
The only reasons not to would be if you have emission inspections, don't like droan inside the cab, soot on your rear quarter panel, or too loud sounding of a truck.

The Magnaflow in my sig. is pretty loud, but that's what I like.

Don't do it expecting any significant gain's in MPG, though...
Old 11-22-2008, 08:49 AM

I took mine out when I first bought the truck so I don't know if I gained MPG's or not. It is said that I gained HP by reducing the exhaust restrictions so that is a consideration if you pull anything heavy as I do. Good luck in your decisions.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:13 AM
Banned

don't know about a mileage gain but, by removing the cat you will see a drop in EGT's.

A straight pipe would be deafening. Hushpower has come out with a new muffler that claims up to 13hp and 33ft.lbs tq and to be one of the quietest mufflers with no drone available.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:22 AM

Back pressure on the CAT is about 1/2 lb restriction, not worth removing to gain mpg's. The back pressure of the muffler is much higher, removing it and installing a ME pipe will give you greater gain, about 1-2 mpg's BUT much less EGT's - mine went down 60-75*'s.

I have a MegaCab so there is a resonator in the exhaust system at the axle, no drone.

CD
Old 11-22-2008, 09:35 AM

yeah i removed both on my mega, still have resonator, and its no where near deafining or too loud. Didn't gain any mileage, maybe 1/2mpg if i am lucky.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:12 AM

No MPG gain completely removing the exhaust and replacing with a 5 inch turbo back and high flow muffler. Cool points for sound, but I do get a little drone on the highway...
Old 11-22-2008, 11:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have a straight pipe from the turbo back. It is loud as hell, lots of drone and I love it!
Old 11-22-2008, 11:41 AM

I have mined straight piped from the turbo back. I left the resonator above the axle. To avoid any other drone, I had the guys remove the kitty, knock it's guts out, and put a 4" pipe right through either end and weld the old cat around it. It only appears the kitty is still there but in reality it's not. By doing it this way, I actually transformed the kitty into another resonator. No drone and not real loud unless I'm walking on it.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:39 AM

Same way for mine, I left the Cat and deleted the muffler with a straight pipe. I think it was the most mileage gain from any of my mods. It is not loud and seems to be the best deal for a mileage gain in my book. The stock muffler is really restrictive and heavy, so I think it was worth it. I pull pretty heavy and the noise is no where near loud.. Scotty

Does the cat degrade and plug over time? I just wonder if down the road, I will need to replace/delete the cat? I would probably just straight pipe it and throw a straight through muffler on it if I did.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by tritont
don't know about a mileage gain but, by removing the cat you will see a drop in EGT's.

A straight pipe would be deafening. Hushpower has come out with a new muffler that claims up to 13hp and 33ft.lbs tq and to be one of the quietest mufflers with no drone available.
Have heard good things about the Hushpower muffler. You might look into it as an option. Straight pipe is way loud and annoying. Reminds me of a ricer with fart cans, when I hear a stock straight piped exhaust on a Dodge.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:55 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

I removed just the muffler & left the cat & mega cab resonator. Great sound & lower EGT's.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:29 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by UNDER-PRESSURE
I removed just the muffler & left the cat & mega cab resonator. Great sound & lower EGT's.
Same here and very happy with it.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:14 AM

I thought I would revisit this old thread. I still have the same truck, I'm still running the stock exhaust with the convertor cut out. I never saw any MPG improvement and if anything the truck fealt like it lost a little bottom end seat of the pants pep...

What is a good aftermarket exhaust to go with to actually see some MPG improvemants or should i just leave it alone lol...

Thanks
Old 04-11-2012, 09:52 AM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by simoniz
I thought I would revisit this old thread. I still have the same truck, I'm still running the stock exhaust with the convertor cut out. I never saw any MPG improvement and if anything the truck fealt like it lost a little bottom end seat of the pants pep...

What is a good aftermarket exhaust to go with to actually see some MPG improvemants or should i just leave it alone lol...

Thanks
You will not see any gains in MPG with any exhaust system for your truck.

Quick Reply: straight pipe on a 06 mage cab