3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Stock turbo in twin setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 05:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stock turbo in twin setup

I have an IdahoCTD twin kit for my truck, it uses the stock for the small fan, and a B2 for the big one. I'm about 1-2 weeks away from installing them, the head studs, and the GDP fuel system, so im wondering how long the stock turbo will last in this setup. I assume ill be pumping about 580-620HP with this setup, i was told the stock turbo doesnt take much abuse, the kit i was told should make right about 60PSI. Thanks
Old 09-16-2006, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Case in point

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=106165

and another
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=95697
Old 09-16-2006, 10:38 PM
Banned

The artic air twins use the stock turbo dont they? Is RCCOX's truck runing the same setup? If so what is the bottom charger on the artic air kit?
Thanks for the links
Old 09-17-2006, 12:15 PM
Banned

anyone.... bump???
Old 09-17-2006, 12:52 PM

yes, it does use the stock one...I forgot which one it uses as the "big" turbo though....you could always try PMing RCCox, he's good about replying
Old 09-17-2006, 07:30 PM

its a ht3b/26cm2
Old 09-18-2006, 09:41 AM

Why wouldn't the stock turbo last in this configuration? The idea of twins is to run both turbos in their efficient range. You will be running less boost out of the stock turbo in twins than as a single, so it should last longer. Right????
Old 09-18-2006, 11:00 AM
Banned

i belive thats what everyones saying.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:11 PM

I plan to do the exact setup you have. I've read many times that the B2 is better than an ht3b/26cm2 as far as volume and spool up. BD is making a new twins set that uses the same B2 and their super B charger for a supposed 100psi. . I would like to run something like a II PS62 in place of the stock turbo. That would be one heck of a combination.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:39 PM

I would think the stock turbo could do very well, especially if beefed up like PDR's Nasty 9, but properly externally wastegating it is key. There are ways to get around using an external gate, but with an exhaust housing that small, it won't be healthy in the long run I don't think. The guys running the AA twins are making big power, but they are limited to high 40's, low 50's in boost due to extremely high drive pressure and from following their postings here and on Relentless' forum, are going through head gaskets even at those pressures. They shoot lots of NOS too though, which isn't head gasket friendly either, so take that into account.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:32 PM
Banned

PDR's nasty 9?? Whats that? And whats involved in externally wastegating it?
Old 09-18-2006, 10:13 PM

The exhaust turbine of the 9cm stock turbo has a hard time flowing lots of air so you get a huge amount of backpressure which causes cylinder pressures to skyrocket....boom. If you had 50psi on the intake I wouldn't be surprised about cylinder pressures approaching 100psi. The New BD's use the special super B and a s400 (B2) and they should get to 100psi just as any of the good 62's should with an s400 (B2) I use a regular super B and I can easily get to over 80psi with my fueling.

To put in an external waste gate you need to put an adapter on the exhaust manifold or machine a 3 piece exhaust manifold. See some pictures of my external wastegate in my gallery and look at powerbypoole.com for lots of external wastegate setups. ks
Old 09-19-2006, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by abc4yew
The exhaust turbine of the 9cm stock turbo has a hard time flowing lots of air so you get a huge amount of backpressure which causes cylinder pressures to skyrocket....boom. If you had 50psi on the intake I wouldn't be surprised about cylinder pressures approaching 100psi. The New BD's use the special super B and a s400 (B2) and they should get to 100psi just as any of the good 62's should with an s400 (B2) I use a regular super B and I can easily get to over 80psi with my fueling.

To put in an external waste gate you need to put an adapter on the exhaust manifold or machine a 3 piece exhaust manifold. See some pictures of my external wastegate in my gallery and look at powerbypoole.com for lots of external wastegate setups. ks
Would you happen to know the difference between the special super b and the super b?
Old 09-19-2006, 07:29 AM

I don't know for sure but it is something like this....The Super B has a 57 or 59mm compressor wheel and about a 38mm outlet port. The Special B has a 62mm compressor wheel and a larger outlet port. It will spool slightly slower from a stop but will run much cooler in the midrange boost and will allow higher boost levels. In the twins set up I imagine the Special Super B has an expanded wastegate to bypass the excess exhaust more efficiently without having to use an external wastegate. ks
Old 09-19-2006, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by AK RAM
I would think the stock turbo could do very well, especially if beefed up like PDR's Nasty 9, but properly externally wastegating it is key. There are ways to get around using an external gate, but with an exhaust housing that small, it won't be healthy in the long run I don't think. The guys running the AA twins are making big power, but they are limited to high 40's, low 50's in boost due to extremely high drive pressure and from following their postings here and on Relentless' forum, are going through head gaskets even at those pressures. They shoot lots of NOS too though, which isn't head gasket friendly either, so take that into account.
See...reading this now really worries me. I was ready to give them a call and place an order for a set.

Now I don't know if its a wise decision or not. I like these because of what they can do...but I don't want something that will cause maintenance (I don't mean dealer work) down the line. I want something stable and reliable...

*sigh....now I have to do that painful "thinking" thing

Quick Reply: Stock turbo in twin setup