3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Stock tranny sucks!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock tranny sucks!!!!

Ive had enough. I wish I had my allison back. I knew the stock tranny in the mega would not be as good as my allison but this is rediculous. I only run the bully dog on the low setting, but when I am towing the tranny is all over the place. It surges in just about every gear and now the turbo is barking at me when it shifts from 3rd to 4th. I read alot of guys are upgrading there trannys. We spend alot of cash on these pickups to have the best diesel power plant that is offered in a pickup and when we want to throw a little extra power at it the tranny craps out. This is really, really disapointing. Any comments, solutions, or wise cracks are highly encouraged.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:10 PM

Suncoast can put an Allison in your Dodge if you want. They have the technology, they can rebuild it.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:17 PM

built tranny or swap in a allison is about all you can do. all i can say is at least its not a ford!
Old 03-11-2007, 09:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
x2^^^^^^^^
Old 03-11-2007, 09:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by skynyrd
built tranny or swap in a allison is about all you can do. all i can say is at least its not a ford!
Is the Ford's TorqShift really that much worse than the 48RE? I just can't imagine a MORE shifty and "hunting for gears" tranny. Also, we (the 48RE) is the only auto out there still stuck with 4 gears...seems that WE are the ones lacking in a good auto tranny?
Old 03-11-2007, 09:56 PM

I dont think they are lacking any more. arent the new ones 6 speeds?
Old 03-11-2007, 10:00 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by $oC@l CTD
Is the Ford's TorqShift really that much worse than the 48RE? I just can't imagine a MORE shifty and "hunting for gears" tranny. Also, we (the 48RE) is the only auto out there still stuck with 4 gears...seems that WE are the ones lacking in a good auto tranny?
I haven't heard that the Torqshift is a bad transmission at all. I don't think there's been too many failures. But when I bought my dream truck, I made sure it had a manual transmission. That way there's nobody but me to blame for poor shifting.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:01 PM

Mine doesn't hunt gears with my Smarty... Maybe it's not the trans that's the problem???
Old 03-11-2007, 10:13 PM

Mine doesn't hunt gears with my XZT either.But it will bark going from 3rd. to 4th.I just let off a little,& push the button.Works for me.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:16 PM

I've heard the perfect truck is a Ford body, Cummins motor, and an Allison transmission. Maybe it's not too far from the truth?
Old 03-11-2007, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer Down
Ive had enough. I wish I had my allison back. I knew the stock tranny in the mega would not be as good as my allison but this is rediculous. I only run the bully dog on the low setting, but when I am towing the tranny is all over the place. It surges in just about every gear and now the turbo is barking at me when it shifts from 3rd to 4th. I read alot of guys are upgrading there trannys. We spend alot of cash on these pickups to have the best diesel power plant that is offered in a pickup and when we want to throw a little extra power at it the tranny craps out. This is really, really disapointing. Any comments, solutions, or wise cracks are highly encouraged.
Agreed the 48re isnt an allison.....but none of the big three stock tranny's can handle any more than 75-100 additional hp and survive for long....you need to beef up the tranny....
Old 03-11-2007, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer Down
...........I only run the bully dog on the low setting, but when I am towing the tranny is all over the place. It surges in just about every gear and now the turbo is barking at me when it shifts from 3rd to 4th. Any comments, solutions, or wise cracks are highly encouraged.
Scottrod may be right..............

When you loaded the Bully Dog did you answer yes for the low end torque enhancement? If so, uninstall it and re-install and choose NO for that option. Evidently, all that does is make the pedal more sensitive (all of the fuel is delivered in the first half (roughly) of the pedal travel). Mine was doing some really odd shifting/slipping while shifting and, occasionally, what felt like gear hunting. Uninstalled the Bully Dog and drove it for a week or so back on stock. No problems. Just re-installed it today but chose no to the low end torque option and it seems to shift ok. Kinda sucks, though, because I really liked the feel of the "sensitive pedal." Oh well.................I guess I can just mash the pedal further.

There is also another thread (recent) on here about this somewhere.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by stezlaki
Scottrod may be right..............

When you loaded the Bully Dog did you answer yes for the low end torque enhancement? If so, uninstall it and re-install and choose NO for that option. Evidently, all that does is make the pedal more sensitive (all of the fuel is delivered in the first half (roughly) of the pedal travel). Mine was doing some really odd shifting/slipping while shifting and, occasionally, what felt like gear hunting. Uninstalled the Bully Dog and drove it for a week or so back on stock. No problems. Just re-installed it today but chose no to the low end torque option and it seems to shift ok. Kinda sucks, though, because I really liked the feel of the "sensitive pedal." Oh well.................I guess I can just mash the pedal further.

exactly what i was gonna question....
Old 03-12-2007, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by stezlaki

Found it...............

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=140460
Old 03-12-2007, 05:43 AM

its very hard to come from a ally to a 48re. one thing i have to say is that i like my cummins better but the dodge service and the tranny is junk. dodge dealerships around this area is an nightmare...

Quick Reply: Stock tranny sucks!!!!