3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Stock EGT's??? A little long, but please read.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock EGT's??? A little long, but please read.

Ok, just curious. I've got a lot of EXACT numbers here for you so you can see. Ok, what are you guys seeing for your max EGT's on a stock truck when towing? Those of you with basically stock trucks? No fuel mods or aftermarket turbo. I set my smarty to stock just to see today, and only have a few air mods as you can see in sig. Intercooler, exhaust manifold, intake, exhuast, and intake elbo. My truck weighs exactly 7691 lbs with me, the trailor I towed wieghed 3964 lbs, (light) and I was at an elevation of 2400ft. Temperature out was 54 degrees. 06, SRW, 4.10, 48RE, tow/haul on, 4x4, short box. From the bottom of the 6% grade, it was 1800 feet, or about 1/3 of a mile long. I hit the hill at 70mph (hammer down at that point) and at about half way up, my temp was 1400 degrees and at 61mph. It was in 3rd gear at that time. Then, the tranny went to 4th and dropped to 1275 degrees and climed to 70mph when I hit the top. Did this twice and was the same. Then, I started from a dead stop at the bottom and put the hammer down. Basically the same thing, except I was at about 1425 degrees at the halfway point in 3rd gear. Then, tranny shifted to 4th and I actually hit the top at 74 mph. Wierd, I know. I did this twice as well. So, with a stock truck and good air mods, you would think it would be lower. So, don't these numbers seem a little high to you, and if so, why and whats going on? I know the autometer gauge is very accurate. I have tried two in the past and they both read the same. Thanks for any help guys!

Jason
Old 05-03-2009, 04:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think your EGTs are that unusual. These 3rd gens can get pretty warm if you work them hard.

If you keep the Smarty on you might even find it running cooler EGTs if you only give it the fuel you need to do the same job (without it).....with the right foot.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:04 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The temps are perfectly normal, just what the 3rd gen CR's are designed to run at. I see almost the same numbers.

Add a boost fooler and get the boost above the stock numbers and you will see those EGT's cool down a bit.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds normal for a stock 04.5-07 5.9. Emissions restrictions have them running HOT. 1400*+ is VERY easily obtained when towing.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:59 AM

Those look pretty close to what I saw stock. I run the LVL 3 on the smarty with aftermarket turbo program. It certainly helps it run cooler.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by ShutupAndHoldOn
Those look pretty close to what I saw stock. I run the LVL 3 on the smarty with aftermarket turbo program. It certainly helps it run cooler.
I run my SJR on SW1, which is stock fueling with advanced timing, and it runs considerably cooler, and now with the cat missing and a freeer flowing muffler the EGT's are hard pressed to hit 1200* even towing hard.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by no_6_oh_no
The temps are perfectly normal, just what the 3rd gen CR's are designed to run at. I see almost the same numbers.

Add a boost fooler and get the boost above the stock numbers and you will see those EGT's cool down a bit.
Ya, I have the boost fooler, but it doesn't help with stock programming. When I run the smarty on SW1, its hard to see 1250 degrees. I was just thinking that 1425 was pretty hot with a tiny 4k trailor with stock program. Seems strange to me that Cummins/Dodge would release a truck that could get that warm at that low elevation and with that light of a trailor......plus, I have every air mod to reduce temps except a turbo and maybe head work. So, if I didn't have the aftermarket intercooler, exhaust, itake exhaust manifold, and elbow, I would hit 1500????? Just doesn't seem right.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dslpwr81
Ya, I have the boost fooler, but it doesn't help with stock programming. When I run the smarty on SW1, its hard to see 1250 degrees. I was just thinking that 1425 was pretty hot with a tiny 4k trailor with stock program. Seems strange to me that Cummins/Dodge would release a truck that could get that warm at that low elevation and with that light of a trailor......plus, I have every air mod to reduce temps except a turbo and maybe head work. So, if I didn't have the aftermarket intercooler, exhaust, itake exhaust manifold, and elbow, I would hit 1500????? Just doesn't seem right.

Normal for these emissions motors. The in cylinder EGR and retarded timing for emissions is why they run so hot.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Spooler
Normal for these emissions motors. The in cylinder EGR and retarded timing for emissions is why they run so hot.
I'm beginging to think that all my so called EGT droppers aren't really droppen anything. LOL. Thanks guys. Guess thats what the Smarty's for.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by dslpwr81
I'm beginging to think that all my so called EGT droppers aren't really droppen anything. LOL. Thanks guys. Guess thats what the Smarty's for.
The stock intake/exhaust are fairly efficient. My OE plastic intercooler is more than plenty for stock fueling. The most I have ever seen is intake air 40* above ambient, that was towing up a long grade, at altitude, with the a/c on, in 95* weather.. Most the time its 10* above empty and 20-30* above towing.. Thats pretty darn good if you ask me.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:06 AM

your innercooler, and exhaust manifold won't do anything for you with no programming. i noticed that too, i did the banks cooler, high ram, larger exhaust, etc, with no or very little upgrades, or programming, nothing changes. you can imagine my thoughts when i just spent 1500 on a cooler and high ram, and got nothing out of it. but when more mods came into play, larger turbo, more fuel, larger CP3 pump, etc, thats where it makes the difference,i can play hard and still have lower egt's
i think that the stock innercooler and exhaust where designed pretty good to keep within check while towing, for the fuel the truck delivers.can't really better it until you throw more fuel and such at it.
so its normal, and great info.this will give some peace of mind to some others out there who maybe don't have gauges or can't afford to mod their truck.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:23 PM

Is that temperature reading before or after the turbo'?
Old 05-05-2009, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the 07 would see over 1500 pre turbo stock motor other the air filter and exhaust. of corse the turbo went at 65k then the motor droped valves at 68k
Old 05-05-2009, 10:16 PM

Yeah man your numbers are dead on....kind of worried about my motor because when it was stock I had no gauges or anything....now I see she runs 1500 easy pulling a bassboat at 80 up grades....

With the smarty I'm at least 200 cooler....
Old 05-05-2009, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Franklin
Yeah man your numbers are dead on....kind of worried about my motor because when it was stock I had no gauges or anything....now I see she runs 1500 easy pulling a bassboat at 80 up grades....

With the smarty I'm at least 200 cooler....
Just so much talk about NOT keeping your foot in it at 1500 degrees at the track, for very long. Well, I'm not far from 1500 without the Smarty and we have some very........ very long grades to where you would be close to 1500 degrees for up to a minute when towing here in parts of Montana. Guess it was designed to handle 1500 for any amount of time, because there are thousands of people without gauges that tow up these grades every year with there Cummins.

Quick Reply: Stock EGT's??? A little long, but please read.